Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Replace The "pause" And "hold" Combo Actions

DeadlyNerd

While using crimson dervish, I've noticed that combos are much more responsive and executed with much more precision than combos that contain "hold" and "pause" actions.

I suppose it's the recognition of movement keys that negate the "pause" action.  If anything, it's pretty counter intuitive to pause an action in a fast paced game.

As for hold, it just breaks the flow of quick key taps.
I mean Mortal Kombat, THE game of combos doesn't utilize "pause" and "hold" actions. This time it's not about being different.

I suggest every existing "pause" and "hold" action be changed to a single action such as movement or parry.

Edited by DeadlyNerd

I don't think it really "breaks it" I think it just requires more percise timing with it, I just find a problem that it is animation based rather than mechanic based.

If you make your weapon too fast you can't use it right.

A glitched movement as of right now is holding back to perform pause combos on any weapon.

Or any direction other then forwards.

and backwards.  I'm trying to run TOWARDS the bad guys to hit them with my fancy flippy combo but can't because they're up ahead and this combo requires me to hit the BACK key.  If I keep running towards them then I can't do the combo, if I do the combo then I won't be able to get up and hit them.  And I realize "Why the F*** am I messing with this in the first place?"  And then I get out my Boltor Prime, and shoot them all in the head.

Really the combo system is a mess with it's pauses and directional keys.  The holds, and the right click combos work well enough most of the time, but DE really needs to add a new key to make different kinds of melee attacks.  The reload key isn't used or need in melee and its placement right next to E makes it easy to find and hit.  Make the normal attacks on the E and "heavy" attacks on R,  allow combos with E and R such as EERRR, and there you go.  

Also a lot of stances need more combos overall, such as the sword and dagger stances.  Iron Phoenix in particular.  It's a rare stance but only has one main combo besides E spam, and even then it's a pretty simple and not all that great looking combo.  Swords should really be the weapons with numerous combos and they should start with a "basic" sword stance with just a few simple combos that may not look all cool and flashy, but they work well enough at beginner levels and can get the job done.  This also allows new players to be able to try out the overhyped yet poorly executed melee 2.0 system without having to grind and RNG for both a weapon AND a stance that goes with weapon.

and backwards.  I'm trying to run TOWARDS the bad guys to hit them with my fancy flippy combo but can't because they're up ahead and this combo requires me to hit the BACK key.  If I keep running towards them then I can't do the combo, if I do the combo then I won't be able to get up and hit them.  And I realize "Why the F*** am I messing with this in the first place?"  And then I get out my Boltor Prime, and shoot them all in the head.

Really the combo system is a mess with it's pauses and directional keys.  The holds, and the right click combos work well enough most of the time, but DE really needs to add a new key to make different kinds of melee attacks.  The reload key isn't used or need in melee and its placement right next to E makes it easy to find and hit.  Make the normal attacks on the E and "heavy" attacks on R,  allow combos with E and R such as EERRR, and there you go.  

I totally agree with melee using E and R for normal and special attacks like other beat 'em up games like Dynasty Warriors series. The R button is unused in melee mode anyway. The combo will feel more natural and easier too pull off those cool animations melee 2.0 is known for.

Great great idea!

If I was making it: 

I wouldn't have tried to re-invent the wheel so much. Channeling would be a hard attack, melee would be a normal attack. You string together combos by pressing different combinations of hard and light attacks with a few directional buttons thrown in for good measure. Works every time, is intuitive to understand, and plenty more fun to execute. 

My biggest problem with melee is that there isn't a lot of feedback for when I'm doing something right, and the combos are just difficult to pull off to begin with. Enemies don't really react, there's no feeling to my strikes, everything is just very loose and disconnected. 

Edited by Acos

Or any direction.

Fixed.

I absolutely despise all directional combos, since I have "Attack in the Direction of the Camera" disabled (and I assume that many others do as well, especially those of us that migrated over from the smoldering ruins of Vindictus). Backwards combos are impossible to use in combat, and Forward combos interfere with every other damn combo in the list (since we're unable to move or turn without having W held down).

I actually had to downgrade my Clashing Forest mod to Rank 1 because of how bad this issue is.

Edited by SortaRandom