Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Going About Designing A Warframe

RYNDW

Hi there, so I had an idea for a warframe concept, but I have pretty much no skill in drawing whatsoever. I was going to think about the frame and balancing its abilities first, but then there's actually having to design it.

So, would it just be a case of learning how to draw or leaving it to someone else?

Thanks for stopping by!

You may want to simply make friends with someone who can draw. However, you can always post concepts without art and people will still check them out, it just won't be as popular. Balance the abilities and define the stats first, then worry about art.

As someone who can draw, I'm against making friends in exchange for art. Having experienced it, it's an insult to the feelings and worth of people to be used for something.
Frankly, if you're interested in creating a warframe, it's best to design the gameplay for it. You could churn out a hundred variations of visual designs, but slapping "snake frame" or "spider frame" or "blast-damage frame" on it and creating a couple powers only goes so far. Instead, think about what kind of gameplay you want the frame to have. Think about why it would be fun. People like fun. Make a fun frame, and people will be interested.

As far as visual design goes, that's where things get iffy. Modern warframe designs are the stereotypical "guys in spacesuits" kind of look, largely because of their use of cloth and armour, rather than the biomechanical design that their lore is supposed to portray.
Look at Ash, or Valkyr. They have heavy anatomical focus and accuracy, with some standard biomech traits, such as the spine. Typically, older frames didn't have noticeable eyes, or lights to symbolize eyes, which helped things look like helmets. That said, having eyes, or mouth detailing, will help the organic design along nicely.

For you, or whoever you might get to help you with your visual concept, I suggest google'ing up a bunch of muscle anatomy, of both humans, animals, fish, insects, etc, and getting inspiration for your design from that.

As someone who can draw, I'm against making friends in exchange for art. Having experienced it, it's an insult to the feelings and worth of people to be used for something.

Frankly, if you're interested in creating a warframe, it's best to design the gameplay for it. You could churn out a hundred variations of visual designs, but slapping "snake frame" or "spider frame" or "blast-damage frame" on it and creating a couple powers only goes so far. Instead, think about what kind of gameplay you want the frame to have. Think about why it would be fun. People like fun. Make a fun frame, and people will be interested.

As far as visual design goes, that's where things get iffy. Modern warframe designs are the stereotypical "guys in spacesuits" kind of look, largely because of their use of cloth and armour, rather than the biomechanical design that their lore is supposed to portray.

Look at Ash, or Valkyr. They have heavy anatomical focus and accuracy, with some standard biomech traits, such as the spine. Typically, older frames didn't have noticeable eyes, or lights to symbolize eyes, which helped things look like helmets. That said, having eyes, or mouth detailing, will help the organic design along nicely.

For you, or whoever you might get to help you with your visual concept, I suggest google'ing up a bunch of muscle anatomy, of both humans, animals, fish, insects, etc, and getting inspiration for your design from that.

I can totally relate to exchange for art dealio (although it was a different art form for me), and guarantee that I'd never make a friend to exploit their artistic talents, it's not a pleasant feeling. thanks for the sound advice!