Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Implementing Ukemi Into Warframe

Enomilli

Ukemi/Recovery just make sense in an action game with knockdown, but I definitely agree with the fact that it shouldn't be spammed, because you want people to wait for the right opportunity to use ukemi.

A full bar's cost of stamina to recover doesn't make sense, because if you're going to cripple someone after they've recovered, it removes the point of a recovery technique in the first place; Sure, you'd be able to shoot, but it doesn't present you with the option of running or repositioning yourself, which would be vital in a situation where you're surrounded by shockwave moas.

Ukemi/Recovery just make sense in an action game with knockdown, but I definitely agree with the fact that it shouldn't be spammed, because you want people to wait for the right opportunity to use ukemi.

A full bar's cost of stamina to recover doesn't make sense, because if you're going to cripple someone after they've recovered, it removes the point of a recovery technique in the first place; Sure, you'd be able to shoot, but it doesn't present you with the option of running or repositioning yourself, which would be vital in a situation where you're surrounded by shockwave moas.

Well that is why it is open for debate...maybe it can have a cool down instead of a stamina cost.

Well that is why it is open for debate...maybe it can have a cool down instead of a stamina cost.

I didn't mean to sound like it wasn't; I was just presenting my viewpoint for the debate.

Rather, what I wanted to say was that a stamina cost made sense, but not a full bar.

I personally think cooldown is less pleasant, because you'd have to actively time (as in count the seconds) your recovery to use it. The way around this would be to add a recovery cooldown bar of sorts to the UI so that someone can visually see when their recovery comes back up, but I think it's less desirable than using what's already there: the stamina bar.

Edited by TheGlitchy

I didn't mean to sound like it wasn't; I was just presenting my viewpoint for the debate.

Rather, what I wanted to say was that a stamina cost made sense, but not a full bar.

I personally think cooldown is less pleasant, because you'd have to actively time (as in count the seconds) your recovery to use it. The way around this would be to add a recovery cooldown bar of sorts to the UI so that someone can visually see when their recovery comes back up, but I think it's less desirable than using what's already there: the stamina bar.

That is indeed true...maybe DE can rethink that redundant mod and actually add immersion to the game.

I just don't want it to be spammable is all.

I think if it comes down to it, they'll add the mod AND some sort of (stamina/cooldown) limiter.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the idea that it's a mod either though.

I'm not either...if you see the videos the mod is not worth it.

That is indeed true...maybe DE can rethink that redundant mod and actually add immersion to the game.

I just don't want it to be spammable is all.

I think if it comes down to it, they'll add the mod AND some sort of (stamina/cooldown) limiter.

Here is what the Devs want to do...

Oh wow you got hit by a shockwave? Let's just make a mod and be done with it.

Instead of slapping a mod on everything as an excuse to be lazy...add more skills to the game.

Ukemi in this game would not be easy and it should cost stamina to reduce spam of it...maybe as in cost a full bar to execute it...

Not to mention you must time it when you hit the ground exactly...not hit the ground...and press it any time you wish...

I wouldn't say the Devs are "lazy" either, the rate at which they're pumping out content and responsiveness, they're working pretty hard; they don't need people busting their chops - just constructive feedback. Personally, I'm not a fan of the idea that it's a mod either though, but DE does pay attention to the fanbase, so maybe they'll reconsider it much later on; WF is still on open beta after all.

I wouldn't say the Devs are "lazy" either, the rate at which they're pumping out content and responsiveness, they're working pretty hard; they don't need people busting their chops - just constructive feedback. Personally, I'm not a fan of the idea that it's a mod either though, but DE does pay attention to the fanbase, so maybe they'll reconsider it much later on; WF is still on open beta after all.

Note - "As an excuse". 

I know the devs are not lazy...they work hard on this game and we all know it.

Handspring does not need to exist however...this does not need to be the beginning of a bad trend.

I'm in favour of the removal of the mod.

"Oh you're a cyber ninja with access to the best training and biotechnology available? Too bad, you have to get a trading card in order to stand up efficiently."

Warframes should have a fast getup by default

Edited by Mbgunsling

I'm in favour of the removal of the mod.

"Oh you're a cyber ninja with access to the best training and biotechnology available? Too bad, you have to get a trading card in order to stand up efficiently."

Warframes should have a fast getup by default

or at least base it off their sprint speed, or base armor, I'd imagine rhino taking a bit longer due to massive armor, while casters are faster due to less armor, mids will be mids, but even rhino should be faster than it is now, at least half the time.

errr... cant you do this already by tapping shift?

Thats just a dive, a Ukemi would be more like a fast recovery from being knocked down (i.e. the clunky Handspring mod) except by inserting a well timed button command instead of a passive recovery speed bonus.

I saw this idea floating around on a thread about the Handspring mod and i agreed there, and i will agree here, i think this would be a much more fluid and interactive way to deal with being "stunlocked" or just knocked down at all. Would really give you the feel that you are indeed controling some super agile space ninja.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

unfortunately, they seems to have slapped the Handspring mod onto the situation and want to leave it at that. though given the recent animation for climbing onto crates (front-flip thing) hopefully there's still some flexibility in this department. i understand that it's easier to design a mod script than a new animation set and was probably a factor when deciding to make the new mod system but i still prefer more animations providing smoother combat experience.

• 4 months later...