Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapons I Want To See In Warframe: Chainblades And (Charging) Lance + Moonsplitter?

Xievie

I think someone needs to catch up on their memes...

And no, magnets wouldn't cut it by a long shot thank you.

At least it would explain a bit of the returning with Glaives and Kestrels. 

And I sincerely do not care about this 'meme' thing. 

Although (somewhat) on topic, I would like to see vibro-lances. 

If you think *magnets* would explain the stuff the Glaives and Kestrels do I can only assume you seriously need a refresher in rather basic physics. Just sayin'.

And FYI "NANOMACHINES, SON" is a well-known technobabble bullS#&$ handwave from Metal Gear Rising Revengeance.

Not really seeing the point of a vibro-lance though - the whole point of the concept is to augment *cutting* power, which isn't quite a noted strong point of lances...

Edited by Viridias

If you think *magnets* would explain the stuff the Glaives and Kestrels do I can only assume you seriously need a refresher in rather basic physics. Just sayin'.

Just the returning part (somewhat), not the bouncing around the room part. 

Not really seeing the point of a vibro-lance though - the whole point of the concept is to augment *cutting* power, which isn't quite a noted strong point of lances...

Increased ease of puncture. 

No, not really. Not even that.

A slight bit, given that it can curve back even after bouncing around the room hitting enemies (small magnetic field to attract it back). 

And I'm pretty certain thrusting points Don't Work That Way.

You can still thrust and stab with a normal lance, but vibrating it at high frequencies would allow it to be easier since it requires less force from the user to pierce through (after all, if we use longitudinal waves [movement of energy is parallel to the propagation of the wave] for the tip of the lance, then it would provide some force to pierce through armour, meaning the user will not have to use as much force compared to a normal lance). 

And I think at this point, we are going off from the tangent and starting to go to the normal (i.e.: perpendicular [off topic]). Might as well stop before we go off the point of intersection. 

A slight bit, given that it can curve back even after bouncing around the room hitting enemies (small magnetic field to attract it back). 

And this magnetic field would not pull the MOA in front of your face or that Grineer's gun into your hand instead because of why exactly?

The things pretty much have to have onboard both some kind of propulsion mechanism (the setting has mature gravity manipulation tech so not a big problem) and guidance system.

And this magnetic field would not pull the MOA in front of your face or that Grineer's gun into your hand instead because of why exactly?

MOAs are quite heavy compared to a Glaive. 

And Grineer troops have their grip on the gun (not to mention if we are going to talk about that, why do you not ask about why the magnetic field would not pull the Grineer troops as well, since their armour is ferromagnetic [for the most part]), compared to a free flying Glaive. 

Look, I am not saying that there are just magnets, but there would be some for backup (after all, your guidance system could fail). 

Edited by Renegade343

I'm saying your magnets wouldn't do jack to attract the Glaive happily bouncing away some ten plus meters off, but they'd certainly attempt to pull any magnetically receptive objects in your immediate vicinity to your hand. Or your hand to said objects, depending. And if you're proposing sufficiently powerful magnetic fields to have that great an effect at such distances, well, the issue obviously only gets worse. Hell - strong magnetism apparently screws with the shields both the Tenno and the Corpus use anyway...

That's textbook technobabble you're trying to pull there, son.

I'm saying your magnets wouldn't do jack to attract the Glaive happily bouncing away some ten plus meters off, but they'd certainly attempt to pull any magnetically receptive objects in your immediate vicinity to your hand. Or your hand to said objects, depending. And if you're proposing sufficiently powerful magnetic fields to have that great an effect at such distances, well, the issue obviously only gets worse. Hell - strong magnetism apparently screws with the shields both the Tenno and the Corpus use anyway...

You do realise that the items you are trying to pull are rather heavy compared to the Glaive? That is one reason. 

And besides, the magnetic field would not be that strong to get it back. I am not saying that there is just magnets to guide it back, but it would need some sort of a small field to get it back to the hand. 

That's textbook technobabble you're trying to pull there, son.

I say otherwise, since the comparative mass of the MOAs and the gun (somewhat connected with the Grineer) is also a thing to consider. 

*shrug* Your hand getting yanked onto the MOA's chassis or just about any part of the Grin trooper's equipement is also a very likely scenario. And the latter will likely be carrying all manner of ammo clips and sundry supplies in his webbing, which might get torn loose. To speak nothing of all the shell casings, fragments and general debris the scene of combat will quickly have copious amounts of - dem magnets oughta quickly gather you a nice handful of such.

You're really stubborn about trying to defend a patently weak position, you know that?

Moreover none of your technobabble explains how the weapon is retrieved *safely* even during the most vigorous Spider-Man shenanigans combined with simultaneous gunfire...

Should be obvious by now why your objection to the Totally Sers rocket-onna-chain weapon on grounds of *safety hazards* is pure eyeroll fodder though.

*shrug* Your hand getting yanked onto the MOA's chassis or just about any part of the Grin trooper's equipement is also a very likely scenario. And the latter will likely be carrying all manner of ammo clips and sundry supplies in his webbing, which might get torn loose. To speak nothing of all the shell casings, fragments and general debris the scene of combat will quickly have copious amounts of - dem magnets oughta quickly gather you a nice handful of such.

You're really stubborn about trying to defend a patently weak position, you know that?

I aim to please. 

Moreover none of your technobabble explains how the weapon is retrieved *safely* even during the most vigorous Spider-Man shenanigans combined with simultaneous gunfire...

The same could be somewhat applied to your guidance systems. 

Should be obvious by now why your objection to the Totally Sers rocket-onna-chain weapon on grounds of *safety hazards* is pure eyeroll fodder though.

Rocket on chains is rather unpredictable with very little control, no matter what way you slice it. At least with hand controlled whips, there is some form of control. 

The same could be somewhat applied to your guidance systems.

You might have gotten the impression somewhere along the way that I do not regard the Glaives and the Kestrel as terribly plausible weapons. (I also take offense in principle at the gross misuse of the name "glaive".) But impropable weapons are par for the course in this game, and the amount of handwaving required in their case is somewhat reduced by the "super-technology" character of the setting - assuming limited self-propulsion and "smart" guidance solves some of the more obvious issues.

Plus at least the Glaive *is* explicitly described to be a design from the bygone ultra-tech ages... I got nuthin' on the Kestrel though but it can be presumed to be a derived design.

I'm late to this party but i really want to say something about Chainswords... NO, no one who has ever used a chainsaw would want to use something like that as a melee weapon, and thats not even with the risk of hitting yourself, there is no way a chain that size with a motor that size superscience withstanding would be able to cut through inches of metal, like you want it to in regards to grineer armor, it simply cannot be done, it will jam on you then you have a bludgeon that wasn't designed to bludgeon, chainswords infuriate my willful suspension of disbelief more than lightsabers do.

Rocket on chains is rather unpredictable with very little control, no matter what way you slice it. At least with hand controlled whips, there is some form of control. 

So control the rockets through a cybernetic interface. Hardly far-fetched for the setting.

That would take up quite a bit of time, no?

...you're not very familiar with cyberpunk are you? The technology of the setting should make it quite feasible to make the interface, with practice, as reflexive to use as your arm.

Obviously a rather pointlessly convoluted and baroque use for such tech, but that describes half of the Warframe arsenal in any case.

...you're not very familiar with cyberpunk are you? The technology of the setting should make it quite feasible to make the interface, with practice, as reflexive to use as your arm.

I only read manuals and textbooks (and a few novels here and there). 

Besides, you do have to factor in the movement of the chain, even if you control the rocket.

Besides, you do have to factor in the movement of the chain, even if you control the rocket.

I fail to see the problem. It's probably already acting as conduit or cover for the control link, so adding the necessary sensors to keep track of where it's going and designing the interface to allow for that should be easy enough.

I fail to see the problem. It's probably already acting as conduit or cover for the control link, so adding the necessary sensors to keep track of where it's going and designing the interface to allow for that should be easy enough.

Still too unpredictable for general use. 

Still too unpredictable for general use. 

That kind of detail has never kept martial artists of a certain bent from coming up with ways to use thoroughly bizarre weapons effectively, and the Tenno if any are empathically not "general use".

That kind of detail has never kept martial artists of a certain bent from coming up with ways to use thoroughly bizarre weapons effectively, and the Tenno if any are empathically not "general use".

Well, because there is some predictability to the those weapons, even it is rather bizarre, allowing some small modicum of general use. 

Rocket chain weapons are just hodgepodge creations that some random person slapped together (no offence) without any thought to it and how it would actually work out. 

I do believe you're rather arbitrarily overstating the unpredictability of such a design, particularly considering what already exists in the setting.

What already exists with weapons in the setting of Warframe is quite predictable in usage (barring whips to a small degree) (and maybe some stances) (and maybe gravity at times, but that is a different matter altogether). 

Glaives.

Your argument is invalid.

Anyways, seeing as how the chain would act as a tether hence controlling the distance what's mainly left is directional control of the thrusters - and *that* should hardly be even a concern given the setting's tech.