The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Assassin Type: The Rival

Aramanth

This is an idea I've been knocking around in my head for a while, so let me explain.  A long time ago there was a game called City of Heroes, which let you make your own superhero to fight crime and evil and the like.  One of the quests you could obtain was about you trying to clear your name for crimes you didn't commit, but that eye witnesses saw you do.  As it turns out, an evil double of you was doing all of this and when you fought them, they looked just like you (down to what weapon and powers you used) but their colors were reversed.  If you were primarily red with some white thrown in, they were primarily white with some red thrown in.  Personally, I really liked it- you had to fight yourself, basically.

So I got to thinking- what if they did something like that in Warframe?  What if, every once in a while, you get a message from someone who wants to fight you, and when they do they look like you and have your same abilities/loadout but are a reverse color of you?  The way I had it set up was this:

There will be one mission out of all the possible nodes that will trigger your rival.  When chosen, the fame you currently have will be "copied" and turned into your rival, at which point you get a message from them saying something along the lines of how tough you've gotten and they want to test you in combat.  At this point, there is an option to turn that same mission into a special "Duel" mode, where the only enemy on the map will be your rival.  Your rival will battle with the same AI as the stalker but use whatever abilities/weapons/ mods you had when you did the mission.  Basically, you're creating a specter to fight against.  He doesn't copy your sentinel/Kubrow however, but you cannot bring those into the mission to fight him anyway- it's a one-on-one with  your rival.  After defeating them, your receive one or more of the really rare mods as well as a blueprint for formae or potatoes.  Your rival will say something like "Just you wait, I'll get stronger and get my revenge!" Before leaving.  At this point you must wait at least one week before a new mission is chosen at random to create your rival again.  There is a twist though- your rival can never be a lower conclave than the frame you chose the last time.  If you had a c of 500 the first time you fight him, then you go in with c300 thinking you can make him easier, it won't work.  Until you get a frame with c500 or higher, he won't appear again.  This means he'll always be stronger than the last time you fight him, until he has the highest possible conclave a player can get.  

If you lose to your rival he'll laugh and taunt you with something like "Hah!  I expected more from you." before giving  you a Mission Fail.  You cannot rechallenge him until you create a new rival by going back to the mission you obtained him and finishing it again.  He never appears in other missions randomly, and will only face you in the mission he chooses.  He will tell you which mission he will be in too after creating him.  Like I said before, the mission will have a smaller tileset of the normal mission but with no enemies other than your rival. You will spawn fairly close to his room, so you won't need to walk far to face him.  He will have his own boss introduction and cannot be attacked until then (unlike the stalker who can be killed while he's standing up).  I had hoped he would have his own music as well, to show this battle is different from normal.

It looks interesting but to implement it the A.I of the tenno specters has to be improve because that´s what they are essentialy, copies of us but they don´t have the same execution as us and that makes them relatively easy to kill.

True, and I want the rival to actively use its powers against you.  Since you don't know ahead of time which mission will create your rival, you can't anticipate it by going in with your worst gear and no abilities.  I had thought of having the Stalker's AI, but I still want to make your rival a challenge without making them broken.

How would this work lore-wise? Would it be another of the Low Guardians that attacks you more out of jealousy than for a thirst for vengeance?

There are other Tenno other than us, right?  It would be a rival Tenno that wants to spar with you to see how strong you are.