The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why So Much Excalibur Hate? :(

(PSN)epicspazm

No idea. I have a friend who used to use Excalibur (he moved on the Saryn and Ash, but I'm sure he'll get back to playing Excalibur one day) and he had it built around blind and javelin. He held his own and then some. Hell, my favorite is Mag and still is even though I don't use her as much as I used to.

Players have some belief that a meta is involved with this game and I don't understand why... 

Well i understand some "meta", like Penta being great with Trinity before her nerf. But this is a logical thing. Everything else? We are overpowering enemies so hard that it's not an issue what you are using. Personal preference is what should be important. Though people saw a strategy which was created long ago and was the easiest to pull off and start to think that everything else doesn't work.

I personally don't use excal cause it was my first frame and boy did i get bored of him. But i come back to every frame that i have from time to time :)

It's just a fashionable misconception that other better CCs do what Radial Blind does better. It just has different strengths that set it apart from other CCs which also have their own strength.

But all those other characters you mentioned except Frost, who is worse than Excal, are not one trick ponies. Nyx for example also has mind control and chaos.  Nyx can also keep dishing out, or making the enemies dish out, damage when weapons have become practically useless, not to mention what she can do in a defense mission.  Plus, if you team-up with a Trinity then every skill becomes spammable.

Honestly I am in agreement with those who say that all frames have their nitch.  To be honest I havent played for a few months until i started again a few days ago . But I've always liked the Excal. In my opinion the radial javelin is one of the COOLEST looking skills in the game and i wish i could get it more worth the energy cost (if anybody knows please tell me I play pc just add me).  

For the most part to me all frames are "the same" as in you can join me in an ash, oberon, trinity or loki and I dont care.  The frame doesnt make you win.  you can have the "best most op" frame in the game. but if you arent good. well....you wont do good.  I feel that this game is more skill dependant than weapon/frame choice dependant.  

As for why people dont like the excal? i agree with those that say its because people are ignorant and say that because it doesnt have high damage abilities and its a starter that its not that good.  i rememebr the  time when the volt was the "most powerful" frame to get in the game.  i only just got it and am loving it as well. but that is beside the point.

To sumarize: the game is fun every frame is good though some could use love.  why not play and have some of that fun this game was rumored to be made to provide?

(on a side note again. im loving the melee 2.0 and have been running survivals with my volt and excal with melee only and been having a lot of fun. nothing in the game is useless. when people tell you something is horrible and to not use it remember.  

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ―The Creed's maxim. Edited by Victor_VonBraun

So can Radial Disarm. 

I main Loki / Excal and I can safely say.

No disarm doesn't work in mid air.

But disarm can be cast when invisible.

They balance out each other this way.

Like how you can jump and RB or use super jump and RB.

Edited by fatpig84

I just tested and Radial Disarm cannot be cast while airborne.

I main Loki

No disarm doesn't work in mid air. 

I main him too. 

Went to a random mission to show you guys...I'm pretty airborne right now. 

907nlt.jpg

Edited by Rexlars

Excalibur is decent frame, with possibly strongest crowcontrol ability after Nyx. People that say otherwise are ignorant.

And i dont know why people hate Boltor Prime that much. Yes, its meta weapon but one of the most fun weapons around. Sending mobs flying around is maybe the funniest thing that one weapon can offer.

Fun factor of Boltor Prime is 10/10, dont let metanoobs ruin it for you.

I main him too. 

Went to a random mission to show you guys...I'm pretty airborne right now. 

That might be an undocumented quirk that Loki Prime has over the regular Loki that I was unaware of. On the regular Loki you will get a CANNOT BE USED IN AIR message if you try to initiate Radial Disarm while airborne.  Any other Loki Prime users out there notice this difference?

That might be an undocumented quirk that Loki Prime has over the regular Loki that I was unaware of. On the regular Loki you will get a CANNOT BE USED IN AIR message if you try to initiate Radial Disarm while airborne.  Any other Loki Prime users out there notice this difference?

I cannot cast RD while in air. This might be some bug or client/host issue.

But all those other characters you mentioned except Frost, who is worse than Excal, are not one trick ponies. Nyx for example also has mind control and chaos.  Nyx can also keep dishing out, or making the enemies dish out, damage when weapons have become practically useless, not to mention what she can do in a defense mission.  Plus, if you team-up with a Trinity then every skill becomes spammable.

Every frame has their own strengths  and every frame has vulnerabilities, holes, or drawbacks that are easily made up via team-members.  The beauty in Excalibur's one-trick is that it is a very self-reliant crowd-control that can keep a roomful of enemies on lockdown regardless of team composition.   He doesn't need much or any back-up crowd-control to keep the pod and squishier damage focused frames safe anywhere in the room. Basically if you are taking only one crowd control frame Excalibur can foot the bill the easily. Which makes him great for soloing or for public matches with randoms where you do not know the equipment or knowledge level of your allies.  Excalibur is one of the most immortal frames in the game via his blind, and extends that near-immortality to his teammates and to the defensive objectives.

I cannot cast RD while in air. This might be some bug or client/host issue.

Just so you guys don't fret, it's not a client issue, bug, or what have you..

You know how people discovered the "infinite wall climb?" Well I discovered how to cast RD mid air. There's not much use for it though. Just something I ran across.

Don't listen to them. Excalibur is a perfect viable frame on low-mid-high tier missions.

slash dash might not hurting in lv 40, but it's a nice escape maneuver, so is super jump.

blind is his most precious skill. a nice CC to buy you and your team some seconds.

javelin might not kill tough enemies, but it always kills unarmored, or ospreys.

with mag's bullet attractor, you can 1 shot T4 vor with javelin. or heavily damage him.

btw, people who use rhino and boltor prime all the time are the noob.

Edited by dataman88

btw, people who use rhino and boltor prime all the time are the noob.

Or people who have mastery on every other gun :P

Personally I don't like the Boltor Prime, sticking things to walls forever away makes it harder for me to desecrate them.

Excal is amazing for high level survival, as long as it's modded correctly (as can be said with any frame)

I run my nekros like a tank (equilibrium, quick thinking, rage, life steal on melee), and it makes a HUGE difference compared to a max range desecrate nekros.

Every frame has their own strengths  and every frame has vulnerabilities, holes, or drawbacks that are easily made up via team-members.  The beauty in Excalibur's one-trick is that it is a very self-reliant crowd-control that can keep a roomful of enemies on lockdown regardless of team composition.   He doesn't need much or any back-up crowd-control to keep the pod and squishier damage focused frames safe anywhere in the room. Basically if you are taking only one crowd control frame Excalibur can foot the bill the easily. Which makes him great for soloing or for public matches with randoms where you do not know the equipment or knowledge level of your allies.  Excalibur is one of the most immortal frames in the game via his blind, and extends that near-immortality to his teammates and to the defensive objectives.

The point is that it is that his only useful skill is blind.  It is a decent crowd control skill, but there are a lot of frames with CC skills. Those other frames have more than just one CC skill that is useful and helps the team though. 

Rhino, for example, has Iron Skin and Roar in addition to his stomp. Iron Skin allows Rhino to tank several hits so he can tank, which is useful in situation like someone going down in the middle of a crowd. Roar is pretty self-explanatory.  

The point is that it is that his only useful skill is blind.  It is a decent crowd control skill, but there are a lot of frames with CC skills. Those other frames have more than just one CC skill that is useful and helps the team though. 

Rhino, for example, has Iron Skin and Roar in addition to his stomp. Iron Skin allows Rhino to tank several hits so he can tank, which is useful in situation like someone going down in the middle of a crowd. Roar is pretty self-explanatory.  

Why would you need more than 1 CC? 

I feel like you don't even know how Rhino work either,

-Iron skin is as solid as a piece of paper after a certain time.

-Stomp is limited in usefulness, if atleast 1 enemy is still alive after the cast you can't use it again.

-Rhino roar is probably the only thing Rhino does better and i'm not even taking blind 4x melee bonus in count.

Why would you need more than 1 CC? 

I feel like you don't even know how Rhino work either,

-Iron skin is as solid as a piece of paper after a certain time.

-Stomp is limited in usefulness, if atleast 1 enemy is still alive after the cast you can't use it again.

-Rhino roar is probably the only thing Rhino does better and i'm not even taking blind 4x melee bonus in count.

Iron Skin is a spammable second shield that can have multiple thousands of capacity.

Stomp does damage and leaves people incapacitated until the timer runs out. The damage is nice because it makes finding them easier.

Roar is better, and it is in addition to the other two skills.

Do I have to reiterate that every frame has their own particular strengths and weaknesses?  Even the fact that Excalibur only needs to slot for one ability isn't an absolute weakness. Running only one ability provides you the opportunity to run more non-ability mods, or to increase the effects of Blind still further with range, duration, and power efficiency. The fact that one ability does so much is as much a feature as a drawback.

Again I'm not saying Excalibur is better or worse than Loki or Rhino or Nyx. They all are powerful and effective and have the tools to carry their team to many victories.  Having played Excal, Loki, and Rhino extensively, I find Excalibur to be the most reliable at crowd control and keeping team-members and objectives alive.

That said, it would be pretty boring if everyone ran the same thing. Play Excalibur, play Rhino, play Volt, play Ember. play Ash. Every frame has a powerful niche to be leveraged and enjoyed. In the end this is a space ninja fantasy game. And the best frame is the frame that makes YOU feel powerful.

Edited by Ryjeon

Iron Skin is a spammable second shield that can have multiple thousands of capacity.

Stomp does damage and leaves people incapacitated until the timer runs out. The damage is nice because it makes finding them easier.

Roar is better, and it is in addition to the other two skills.

-At a certain level ANY bullet,melee attack or even gust of wind will obliterate iron skin. It doesn't scale.

-Skill damage in a game where enemies scale infinitely is probably the most useless thing. Once again(Even if I doubt you will understand this time) Stomp is limited, Radial Blind is not.

-I said that roar is better in general, but radial blind give a 400% melee damage boost,roar can give you a 114% dmg boost max(With many more penalties.)