Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Volt - Energy Shield

MrHugz

I've been playing Volt, loving how he's designed for the most part and I find him a great starter.

Although, as I have been upgrading his abilities, I tend to find the energy shield less and less useful as everything else becomes more powerful. What I'm seeing ingame:

-Energy bolt does high damage, chains onto other enemies and makes a nice hard hit with a stun effect.

-Speed boost allows the Volt to get to fallen teammates, objectives, quick slice attacks for in & out situations, ect.

-The shock wave terminates everything when being overwhelmed, and turns lights into high damage explosives.

All of these features help moreso in crowd clearing & objective obtaining traits which make Volt a very reliable teamplay Warframe for himself and those aquianted with him, although the shield that he spawns:

-Very small

-Teammates cannot shoot through it

-Very costly

-Doesn't support the high damage traits Volt has to offer

Does anyone else feel the same way as me, or do you believe I am not utilizing the ability to a better use?

I've been playing Volt, loving how he's designed for the most part and I find him a great starter.

Although, as I have been upgrading his abilities, I tend to find the energy shield less and less useful as everything else becomes more powerful. What I'm seeing ingame:

-Energy bolt does high damage, chains onto other enemies and makes a nice hard hit with a stun effect.

-Speed boost allows the Volt to get to fallen teammates, objectives, quick slice attacks for in & out situations, ect.

-The shock wave terminates everything when being overwhelmed, and turns lights into high damage explosives.

All of these features help moreso in crowd clearing & objective obtaining traits which make Volt a very reliable teamplay Warframe for himself and those aquianted with him, although the shield that he spawns:

-Very small

-Teammates cannot shoot through it

-Very costly

-Doesn't support the high damage traits Volt has to offer

Does anyone else feel the same way as me, or do you believe I am not utilizing the ability to a better use?

^This, also off-topic anyone know what that white orbs does when you pick it up? I know Red is health and Blue is energy but what White???

^This, also off-topic anyone know what that white orbs does when you pick it up? I know Red is health and Blue is energy but what White???

White is for affinity a.k.a your frame/weapon xp. Although I think it only affects your frame. Not sure.

Yeah, a large shield where the team could take cover and shoot through would be great for boss battles. For now his spells are pretty much useless during bosses, at least for the team that is.

(White orbs are either blueprints when dropped from a boss OR, when dropped from crates or lockers: Affinity points)

I used it today along with the Penetrate mod on my Gorgon. The maxed out shield was a significant help there, as I had turned it on in a choke point and crouched behind it while firing through thinning up the horde of Grineer. It has its uses, it's just more advanced and situational than "press 1 to hit person" and largely based on positioning.

I just wish you could shoot through the shield, but not enemies.

Isn't that how it already works or am I smoking something? Also yeah since shields got nerfed the electric shield is super fun and useful especially with power duration mods I tell ya what.

Edited by MegatechBody

The shield is nice, and even more with this shield cap mods nerf. You have something that protects you, and why should he only have High DMG skills?

I'm just wondering others opinions.

When I picked Volt, I saw him as a high damage room clearer made for those overwhelming moments, of course that doesn't mean he is forced to deal only damage (Speed is a perfect example) but I feel that for the cost of the ability, it's rather underwhelming considering it's small and it tends to be a hazzard to other peoples line of fire.

I see a shield as more of a support Warframe ability over a DPS type of Warframe. Of course I could be wrong, and maybe I'm not using it to a good extent, but I wanted to know what other people thought of it as well.

Also what was this shield nerf that took place?

Edited by MrHugz

I'm just wondering others opinions.

When I picked Volt, I saw him as a high damage room clearer made for those overwhelming moments, of course that doesn't mean he is forced to deal only damage (Speed is a perfect example) but I feel that for the cost of the ability, it's rather underwhelming considering it's small and it tends to be a hazzard to other peoples line of fire.

I see a shield as more of a support Warframe ability over a DPS type of Warframe. Of course I could be wrong, and maybe I'm not using it to a good extent, but I wanted to know what other people thought of it as well.

Also what was this shield nerf that took place?

Shields stack additively instead of multiplicatively and also are flat values and not percentages.

I'm just lvl-9 so I don't know how useful the shield might become, but as it is ATM I'm not using it and I doubt I'll use it much in future if it stays the same. So I agree with MrHugz here. It costs to much and compared to the kills I could do with the Energy Bolt instead it just looses. There are enough places to hide behind and there might come a 1 situation out of 100 where the shielding ability will prove invaluable. IMHO it clearly needs a remake.

* making it bigger, or allowing us to shoot through it.

* longer duration mods

* lesser cost

* you could make it movable with the character, serving the same purpose as a medieval battering ram that also pushes enemies away. This could add to the fun factor. You can also make enemies stick to it and add the option to dissolve it with a button, thus you could "impale" them onto the shield, carry to a legde and by dissolving the shield letting them fall, so you don't have to JC_domowhack.gif them yourself...

Oh... and yes, since Volt was advertised as a high damage dealer, the shield should be probably exchanged with some other ability that better suits Volt's playing style. With a little imagination a new magnificent ability might be born! :)

Oh... and yes, since Volt was advertised as a high damage dealer, the shield should be probably exchanged with some other ability that better suits Volt's playing style. With a little imagination a new magnificent ability might be born! :)

Oh jeez please don't remove one of the two actually interesting and situational abilities volt has. It's also super useful if used intelligently situationally and has saved me from death and provided strategic cover where there was none. Super useful to throw it up when putting up a revive on an ally too. If only I could revive more than one person when they die... I feel so bad having to pick one guy to revive when they all three die to jackal's bombs.

Edited by MegatechBody

* you could make it movable with the character, serving the same purpose as a medieval battering ram that also pushes enemies away. This could add to the fun factor. You can also make enemies stick to it and add the option to dissolve it with a button, thus you could "impale" them onto the shield, carry to a legde and by dissolving the shield letting them fall, so you don't have to JC_domowhack.gif them yourself...

I like the idea of using it as a riot shield, but in the case that it won't become that I would suggest a few improvements:

-As stated before, be able to shoot through it

-Less cost

-Wider

-Have enemies that come near it recive a shock which does minor damage and stuns them, this will help in narrow spots in infected maps when you're being chased by a horde of zombies and do not have enough enery to use the "uber" you can heard them up and have your teammates mow them down for some nice crowd cleaning, and support actions.

I agree with Megatech, I wouldn't go so far as to remove the shield, I would just say a touch up here and there will make it much more valuable for everybody to use. Of course it's useful now, but it could be better with a few of the suggested.

Edited by MrHugz

Just a suggestion MegatechBody. You never know what another ability might give you and how useful you'll find it. Let's wait and see what cahnges the devs make to it in future updates. It's a BETA, so it's open for all possible changes...

Just a suggestion MegatechBody. You never know what another ability might give you and how useful you'll find it. Let's wait and see what cahnges the devs make to it in future updates. It's a BETA, so it's open for all possible changes...

Yeah but removing an ability I and many other players enjoy is not a good thing, ever. Unless it's removed for another shield which I'd say wouldn't be removing it, just improving it. It's possible I'll win the lottery tomorrow but I don't want you to take away my savings.

Edited by MegatechBody

I like the idea of using it as a riot shield, but in the case that it won't become that I would suggest a few improvements:

-As stated before, be able to shoot through it

-Less cost

-Wider

-Have enemies that come near it recive a shock which does minor damage and stuns them, this will help in narrow spots in infected maps when you're being chased by a horde of zombies and do not have enough enery to use the "uber" you can heard them up and have your teammates mow them down for some nice crowd cleaning, and support actions.

+1 also very nice ideas there :)

Yeah, I don't want energy shield taken away whatsoever. It's a useful ability that can turn the tide of a fight given the right positioning and circumstance. While I'm not 100% sure on if it does this already, probably the best buff DE could give it is it allows penetration so that your bullets can go out, but enemy bullets can't come in. This will give it an offensive and defensive capability that could be a tremendous help on areas like Pluto, especially now that shields aren't obscene in power and the game isn't just a faceroll.

A deployable is cool, but as a high damage frame, it seems out of place. I would love a "turret" of some kind. A floating wisp that shocks when approached, minor damage but stuns and arcs. The shield is cool, but an energy barrier is somehting more akin to Mag than Volt. I never use it, i always find cover, and don't think about defensive abilities.

Could be good if you make it larger. Also modding the shield would be also a nice addition. I mean you can add effects like:

-minor electricity dmg those who shoot it

-if an enemy try to pass trough it becomes stunned for as short period of time.

-before it expires you can make it explode, dealing dmg to those are front of it