The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Flashlights Are Obsolete, May We Have Some Night Vision?

Lukap99

Let's be honest here. Nobody likes flashlights.

They don't have much use. On some double wielding weapons they don't work at all. But most of all they don't fit into the theme of space ninjas.

So yeah, it's time for some night vision. A thing that has been suggested by the community multiple times.

It can also double as binoculars that can mark enemies on missions with actual lighting.

In higher level solo missions this becomes invaluable if you're stealth-ing it. The game should reward recon and strategy alongside mod builds and sharpshooting.

Metal Gear Rising's augment mode

-Note that interactable things are marked blue, while enemies are marked red.

- Here the enemy is inside the house. But since the scanner highlight enemies regardless of what's in front, it doesn't really help him.

- This is how it looks when you use augment mode in the dark. Keep in mind that without this the entire screen is pitch black, literally.

Crysis binoculars.
- Marking enemies so you know where your next victim is is nice.

1. http://www.visualwalkthroughs.com/crysis/contact1/8.jpg

- Notice how the mini map has a cone that shows what you can see and what it represents on the map.
- Yellow means he's alert and looking for you and red means he knows where you are. But let's pretend this can also mean "marked" - red and "unmarked" - yellow
- Marked enemies show up on your mini map.

2. http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj236/BigFan_2008/Crysis-Binoculars.jpg

- "Battle look, on. Reveal to me everything I haven't f*cked up yet." - BroTeam
- By the way, this is zoomed in view. Pretty neat, huh?

Buttman: Arkham city

1. http://batmanarkham.net/images/detective_mode/detective_mode.jpg

- That's right, you can tell what gun their holding just be looking at their skeleton.

I'd post more pictures, but you guys get the point.

EDIT: Changed title so it doesn't seem like I'm demanding this to be in the game.
Edited by Lukap99

Ehh to be honest the flashlights would be ok if they were better.

The reason why I don't like night vision for this is because we are in third person, dark areas can really set some atmospheric battles and encounters and with nightvision its like might as well not have them. Flash lights give you limited vision in third person basically :/

The reason why I don't like night vision for this is because we are in third person, dark areas can really set some atmospheric battles and encounters and with nightvision its like might as well not have them. Flash lights give you limited vision in third person basically :/

Yeah, but we, unlike our enemy, can't see any better in the dark.

When a Grineer spots you, he will shoot at your position regardless of how dark/light it is. We actually rely on lighting to see where our enemy is, where as the grineer/corpus/infested just "know".

I like flashlights. I like how they limit your vision. You have to play a little bit different in a dark map compared to a normal one. And yet i never had any Problems in Warframe when it comes to battles. With nightvision you wouldn't have to play a little bit different it would just be the normal view with a green filter over it and i really dislike the green filter from nightvisions. I enjoy the colors and everything and don't want them to be just green and black.

And since the Enemys don't react to flashlights there is also no valid point in saying it woudl improve stealth (it wouldn't).

Sry but i have to say keep the flashlights, never implement nightvision please

Let's be honest here. Nobody likes flashlights.

They don't have much use. On some double wielding weapons they don't work at all.

Both of you are right. The best thing to do is have the flash light cone wider and dept extended. The flashlight may need to become brighter.

I would love to see forms of vision enhancement in Warframe, but it does require some consideration.

As far as darkness improving atmosphere and increasing the challenge, I totally agree.  However I see vision enhancement as an opportunity for creativity, not an inevitable detriment to the game's system.  With every vision enhancement technology, enemies can develop countermeasures.  For example, some Grineer armor may be designed to camouflage against ultraviolet (typical night vision), while many infested may be cold-blooded and some units insulated against infrared.  Effectively, these units would become invisible with vision enhancement, not more visible.

Also keep in mind too the potential drawbacks of changing vision: it could make the Tenno more susceptible to flare blindness from explosions or even nearby muzzle flash.

As far as marking targets, I love it.  It fits perfectly with the ninja/scout/sniper feel.

To be honest, I like the flash light, for the same reasons said before, only I'd like if it was toggleable and not bound to you weapon (if you're using a bow the light will point to the ground unless you're aiming, not so useful). As for marking enemies, I think it could be accomplished by the enemy radar mod/aura, just like it is done with mods by the loot radar mod, allowing to see enemies through walls in a range and making them bright (similar to how the codex worked some time ago)

I would love to see forms of vision enhancement in Warframe, but it does require some consideration.

As far as darkness improving atmosphere and increasing the challenge, I totally agree.  However I see vision enhancement as an opportunity for creativity, not an inevitable detriment to the game's system.  With every vision enhancement technology, enemies can develop countermeasures.  For example, some Grineer armor may be designed to camouflage against ultraviolet (typical night vision), while many infested may be cold-blooded and some units insulated against infrared.  Effectively, these units would become invisible with vision enhancement, not more visible.

Also keep in mind too the potential drawbacks of changing vision: it could make the Tenno more susceptible to flare blindness from explosions or even nearby muzzle flash.

As far as marking targets, I love it.  It fits perfectly with the ninja/scout/sniper feel.

You just captured what I originally wanted to say in the OP.

And... I might have made a mistake when I said that we need "night vision". I mean, we don't even know if the Tenno have eyes. For all we know, the Warframe itself could double as their sensory organ.

But I do want a vision mode that lets us see in the dark AND make use of the game's beautiful aesthetics.

So instead of "night vision" DE could create "Tenno vision".

Just imagine how cool this could be if DE actually sits down and brainstorms how to make it beautiful.

What if the Tenno see all sorts of tiny particles coming out of everywhere that the regular human eye can't see. What if they can see through walls? What if they can see the outline of your skeleton hiding behind your flesh and armor?

They don't necessarily have to have technological night vision, but a biological one.

Just imagine all the cool stuff Tenno can see...

What if Banshee could "see" sounds? Imagine seeing Grineer footsteps behind the door. Imagine seeing bullet trails.

What if Volt can see the individual electrons coming out of the circuitry? That way we know what's going to explode after overload.

What if Mag can see magnetic fields? She could probably tell who has the least shields.

What if Ash sees better in the dark? And what if he can track your footprints?

What if Loki sees where you hid last week's Lotus'es secret what weapon you're using?

What if Ember sees more majestic flames than the rest?

What if Nekros sees enemies souls coming out of their dead body?

What if Rhino sees why kids love cinnamon toast crunch?

What if Zephyr can see air currents?

What if Hydroid sees where this is going after he casts his ult?

Edited by Lukap99