Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sun Size Needs To Scale With Distance!

OrphanMaker

Have anyone else though of this?

http://astrobob.areavoices.com/files/2012/01/Sun-from-other-planets-1024x806.jpg

"So from Pluto, the Sun would look like a star — that is, a point of light — albeit an intensely bright one. Looking at it would certainly be painful, and probably make your eyes tear up.

But wait! I also mentioned yesterday that Pluto’s orbit is an ellipse, and it goes from 4.4 billion to 7.3 billion km from the Sun. That’s a factor of 29 to 49 times the Earths distance from the Sun. So that shrinks the size of the Sun accordingly. When Pluto is farthest from the Sun (called aphelion) the Sun is far less than an arcminute in size, and looks like a dot. When Pluto is closest to the Sun (perihelion) it will actually be just about one arcminute in diameter. Someone with sharp eyes might be able to perceive it as a disk rather than a point of light… though that would still be really tough to do, because the Sun’s still so bright. If you had a filter in your spacesuit visor you’d be able to see the disk of the Sun." - From Discorverymagazine.com

Link:   http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2012/03/16/bafact-math-how-big-does-the-sun-look-from-pluto/

Edited by OrphanMaker

From what I can tell, it does do this. Only not quite as much as one would expect.

Also IIRC the sun is too dim at Ceres. I'll have to double check.

I checked earlier. The sun is the same size, cockpit view, around mercury as it is pluto. The sun suppose to be huge when you are orbiting Mercury and small when you are orbiting Pluto.