Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question About Macros

LoneTonberry

Question

I have a couple of questions. Now I know that in the EULA it specifically forbids botting, but what exactly is the extent of that? Are keyboard/mouse macros considered botting?

I bring up this question partly because I've been playing a lot more Nekros lately. After finishing a full 4 forma build focused on specializing in Desecrate and using it quite a bit I thought about this. I enjoy helping out the team like I do and getting all the loot that Desecrate gives but after a while of playing it really starts to hurt spamming 3 all the time. I've tried moving to a more comfortable key but the result was the same. I've tried putting it on my mouse thumb button but that was just awkward to press fast enough. So it got me to thinking about whether or not I'd get in trouble for making a keyboard macro that would either press 3 repeatedly either so long as I held down 3, or toggle on by pressing 3 once and toggle off by pressing it again. Would something like that be considered botting?

This question got me curious about macros in general and if there was a stance by DE about them. I can't find anything definitive searching the forums so I ask. For things like rapid click macros, ability binds like I just discussed for Desecrate, or even quick movement combinations. What kinds of restrictions if any are there on macros of this sort? If anybody knows if DE has made a stance on this or if one of the staff could respond about it that would be great.

2 answers to this question

Repeatedly pressing a single key has been specifically commented on as allowed, based on the fact that it can be considered to be used to relieve pain from repetition. Click macros and ability spams are fine. 

Generally speaking, for most games, anything that can be done without a macro is allowed to be macroed. That means a specific combination of keys would be fine, such as a button to quickly slide attack. The exception comes from automation. Botting is considered to be automation - any macro or 3rd party software that allows you to actually be AFK is considered to be against ToS.

I myself use a macro for Desecrate, as well as multiple click macros at different speeds. I have a timed macro for WoL/EV executes, and that's probably the 'riskier' one - anything with a timer might fall under automation. I used to have a timed macro to keep WoF active at all times (pushes 4 after XX seconds, etc) but I decided it was probably too close to automation so I ditched it. Plus, tactically, its not the best of ideas.

Basically if it 'plays the game for you' it's not a good idea.

Edited by Darzk