The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Botters

tC_Jeff

Hey guys.  I'm new to the game (3 days), but I have noticed that there are some botters out there.  This morning was the first time I came across a squad of bots.  Is it a common thing to run into squads of bots?  It's amusing at first, but after awhile I get tired of getting grouped with these guys.

What's the point of botting in this game anyway?  Selling accounts?

Anyway here's a capture of the first group I ran into this morning.  I'm sorry that you have to listen to my tired and boring commentary.  I hadn't really woken up yet :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssTrDij3m14

Hey guys.  I'm new to the game (3 days), but I have noticed that there are some botters out there.  This morning was the first time I came across a squad of bots.  Is it a common thing to run into squads of bots?  It's amusing at first, but after awhile I get tired of getting grouped with these guys.

What's the point of botting in this game anyway?  Selling accounts?

Anyway here's a capture of the first group I ran into this morning.  I'm sorry that you have to listen to my tired and boring commentary.  I hadn't really woken up yet :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssTrDij3m14

They look just like new players to me...?

Is there something I'm missing here?

Maybe i should post more of what I captured?

I cut out maybe 15 minutes of them wandering around, staring and running into walls, and all sorts of other botty behavior.

I could be wrong. IDK. That's why I posted a video. 

Edited by tC_Jeff

Those are not botters and botters in this game wouldn't serve a purpose. There is no economy, no money to be made, and grinding isn't exactly painfully slow.

Also fps generally don't have bots as they are a lot harder to program.

You can tell by their behavior. 

Watch the video and watch the part where one of them attempts to navigate a laser gate.

Yeah most new players don't understand that they can't run through a laser gate.

Could've helped and told them you need to shoot cameras to disable the gates.

That looks more like new players, not bots... Finding cover to reload doesn't sound like very bot-like behavior to me.

But, it's possible, I suppose. Just didn't look super "botty" to me.

Edited by Sylke

To answer the OP, as far as I'm aware no, it is not common at all, and I would imagine relatively recent for no one else on the forums to have noticed it yet. I haven't watched the video as youtube refuses to load it right now, but yea, hopefully this wont become a thing for warframe, but it is basically only a matter of time before any game has some sort of bot made for it, whether those bots actually accomplish anything and become a problem or not is something completely different.

I'll have to agree with the others on this: New-bloods! I didn't know I had to shoot them cameras to get through the laser doors when I first encountered them...as far as running into walls goes, it's a wall-run attempt in my opinion. It's how I learned to do it myself =)

To answer the OP, as far as I'm aware no, it is not common at all, and I would imagine relatively recent for no one else on the forums to have noticed it yet. I haven't watched the video as youtube refuses to load it right now, but yea, hopefully this wont become a thing for warframe, but it is basically only a matter of time before any game has some sort of bot made for it, whether those bots actually accomplish anything and become a problem or not is something completely different.

That's not entirely true.... as bots usually serve a purpose. In warframe, so far, there is none... and that's in no small ammount thanks to the great management of DE, also it was talked briefly in the livestream. As of today, there is no way to advertise gold/credit farmers/sellers in warframe... also making obsolete the idea of try selling hacks/bots as well.

About the video, i don't know why the poster thinks they're botting. The erratic behaviour, the distinct reactions and times, the random sprinting to reach the others sometimes... nothing seems botish to me. As far as the lasers.... who hasn't runned into them? When each of us encountered them.... who didn't run into the lasers? I know i did.... hell, i still do sometimes when i rush a door and BAM, there's a camera right in front on the other side and i get door trolled like a noob, no shame on it.

Also this game is an FPS, it's pretty hard to make a BOT (not like autoaim or so, but a real bot) for this games. To make things even harder, the maps and starting locations are not scripted or static in this game, not for any mission... so it would be a pretty gruesome task to be able to bot this game.

I'm with the majority on this one. Their behaviour isn't that much different from mine when I first started playing. I didn't even know you had to shoot the cameras in order to bypass the laser gate until the 4th or 5th time I encountered them. Before that I just used abilities to get through.

Seems like they're just new and/or lagging players really.

Also, like Shion said, you could've helped them. That comment "you missed a mod dude" made no sense, you could've waypointed it for him. Or try and talk to them, but I see no effort at all from your side.

Edited by Pelsjager

After watching your footage, I can't confirm your suspicions. The way he tried to sword dash through the laser, and jumped around in the elevator just doesn't seem like they're bots.

More like just new players that still have a very static and cautious playstyle.

Did you try the chat or voice chat?

Yes. 

I'm with the majority on this one. Their behaviour isn't that much different from mine when I first started playing. I didn't even know you had to shoot the cameras in order to bypass the laser gate until the 4th or 5th time I encountered them. Before that I just used abilities to get through.

Seems like they're just new and/or lagging players really.

Also, like Shion said, you could've helped them. That comment "you missed a mod dude" made no sense, you could've waypointed it for him. Or try and talk to them, but I see no effort at all from your side.

Didn't capture the part where I attempted to communicate with them.  At this point I had already convinced myself they were bots.  Obviously a lot of indicators had to arise before I turned fraps on when nothing else of interest was happening :P

Alright so looks like that question was answered.  Since no one is convinced I'm going to pull the video down so I don't slander these guys names

Edited by tC_Jeff

tC_Jeff, on 16 Apr 2013 - 02:32 AM, said:

Didn't capture the part where I attempted to communicate with them. At this point I had already convinced myself they were bots

Alright, then ignore that comment. :þ

Nonetheless, I highly doubt they were bots. Maybe they didn't know they had to press T to talk or they were 3 friends playing through ventrilo/skype and forgot to put the game on Private mode.

I've been playing for 2 months now and haven't seen a single botter so far. Have seen plenty of guys playing like the ones you captured, including myself. Most often due to lag.

Edited by Pelsjager

if they were bots wouldnt they be KILLING stuff? and well.. NOT using excals? i mean a) they seem to have terrible aim b) spend their time doing inefficient things like running around looking for containers to loot c) if they WERE bots playing in a group why would they be in a PUBLIC game they could just use private.

they are slow, weak and inefficient. newbies not bots.