Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Boltor Or Akbolto

Thereddic

Question

With My Strun and Furis nearing max, I figure its time to start looking into new weapons. This time, however, I think I'm going to go for something a little bit...flexible. Therefore I'm going to get a gun with good range, and something with a lot of bullets in one direction for CQC/Infested. I've heard good things about the Bolt weapons (and pinning stuff to walls sounds fun) but I'm unsure which to get. My understanding is that the Boltor has less damage, but the Akbolto has to deal with the small pistol ammo pool, so I'm unsure which to go with, though I'm currently leaning towards Akbolto.

I'm going to get the Latron/Paris or Lex depending on which bolt weapon I get, but I'm more interested in that choice than the long weapon. Thoughts?

13 answers to this question

I love the Boltor, it's by far my favorite weapon...

The one thing to know about it is, it's worthless at long range moving targets. So you need to use a good pistol for range shots, personally I use Lex with it.

Also a Cold mod I'd say is a must on it. It's not overly needed but slow moving targets at med range are easy to keep a line of bolts on.

From the 2 i found the Boltor more enjoyable.

With the last Patch they also buffed Rifle Mods so now it does quite nice damage (already did before).

The Boltor is more accurate than the (AK)Bolto so it is slightly better at range, but you can't go wrong with either of them. The Bolt weapons rip through everything!

Well, I think that Boltor rocks, but really it depends on taste - for a full - auto machinegun that fores slow moving bolts, the boltor is your obvious choice.

For a calmer, more accurate approach, I'd use the Akbolto - or, you could just get both!

I used Akbolto myself for a while, now I'm leveling other pistols. I'd say they're amazing, though I have to disagree with Bennyworld ("For a calmer, more accurate approach, I'd use the Akbolto"). The accuracy is sub-par at medium ranges, and they'll fire as fast as you can click. This made them Ideal in my experience for charging Ancients, Heavy Gunners, and really anything that gets close. Ammo was never really an issue for me, but if you're worried, you can bring an ammo box.

I havent actually used the Boltor, but the Akbolto is a beast.

The RoF is INSANE with a properly set up click macro, or repathing fire to a scroll direction. As an added bonus, after a few shots the recoil stops, so it's really quite easy to aim while going full auto. With 120% multishot (or even 100%) the damage potential is far above the Boltor, and the base stats are better too - almost 40% more base damage/shot than the Boltor, and more than +50% rate of fire.

Even after the patch the pistol mods are still a good 20-40% better than the rifle mods.

If you dont want to macro or repath the fire key, a single Bolto is actually just as effective as the Ak version, and 1/2 the cost. Your damage per shot is still higher than the Boltor (with a slower RoF), and the smaller clip size compared to the Ak version is made up for by double the reload speed.

The one disadvantage to the Bolto pistol is the bolts fly randomly after midrange, making this weapon nigh useless at long distances, regardless of your ability to lead a target. A long range main weapon or a playstyle focusing on moving into range is recommended.

Edited by Darzk

Well, the bolt weapon is mainly there for dealing with Infested swarms up close, since any time I try to melee them they just hit me and I stagger and die horribly. How hard would it be to set up a refire macro for the Akbolto? I've never done anything like that before, and I feel the machine gun approach would be more useful. Plus I'm interested in trying out the Paris. I am going to be the strangest Rhino ever.

The main difference is that the boltor is full auto, whereas the AKbolto is semi. Other than that, your choice is basically up to your other gun.

Only that unless you click like a MAD then the Akboltor is better in any aspect.