Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Few Questions, Need New Weapons

DeathR34PER

Question

So, I'm really kinda getting bored with some of my weapons, and so I thought about getting some new ones, mainly for some keeps and some for just masteries. I do have a bunch of questions that I'm really kinda iffy about them too. Right now, I have all the weapon labs to make whatever is around now. So here it goes:

1 - I'm needing a new shotgun since Strun is really boring to me and doesn't inflict that much damage up close as I see others that have. What's a high damaging shotgun without losing too much damage over range? Primary wise, but secondary is kinda necessary too.

2 - What other secondaries is there that can do high amount of damage? As of right now, I just got done with Angstrum, but trashed it since rocket pistols isn't really my type of favor and I got it to max for masteries. I also got AkLex and Lex Prime to max, but keeping those for certain missions. AkZani isn't my cup of tea whatsoever since they don't do enough damage and DO waste a lot of ammo, especially with ammo mods, they don't do well. AkStilleto is what I'm working with and they're kinda decent, but trashing it after maxing it out.

3 - Should I keep on going after the Gorgon or get the Supra? Right now, I'm a Mastery Rank 6, but I'm working my butt off to get the Supra, and I have no problems make use of projectile weapons since I'm use to the Dera. I haven't research the Supra yet either. I have the Soma right now, but kinda difficult to use really with such a low amount of damage and I've been putting on my only Crit Chance mod, Point Strike Maxed, along with Serration, and all honesty, I'm going nowhere with it, just wasting ammo even with Rifle Ammo Mutation, Mag Warped, and Ammo Drum.

Weapons I have:

Primary: Soma, Boltor Prime(Max), Latron Prime(Max) and Wraith, Paris, Dread, Karak, Quanta, Soma, Dera, Vulker, and Vectis

Secondary: AkLex(Max), Lex Prime(Max), and AkStilleto

Melee: Reaper Prime(Max), Nami Skyla, Dual Zoren, Dual Kamas, Kronen, Heat Sword, Obex(Max), and Nikana

12 answers to this question

This belongs in Players helping Players.

1. Give the Tigris a shot.  If you can get over the firing mechanic, this is a love or hate weapon.  That or I've modded up a boar prime with maximum rank fire-rate mods.  I don't know if this is exactly an effective weapon, but hell is it fun.  When I'm not reloading, because you'll be doing that a lot.

2. Marelok if you can't grind up the Brakk.

3. The Gorgon has long been powercreeped, and as far as I know, the Supra is also in needing of a buff to bring it up to heavy weapon status.  I don't recommend you get the Supra now.I'd recommend primary weapons, but seeming as you've gotten used to even the Dera, I'm not exactly sure what you look for in a weapon.  I haven't seen someone use the Dera in uncounted ages, actually.

A good shotgun, uh? In my opinion the Tigris is a nice one. The Phage is one of the most powerful one, and the Boar Prime and the Drakgoon aren't bad too. I have no problem because i love the Strun Wraith.

As a Secondary give a look at tye Pyrana, the Sicarus Prime and the Twin Gremlins.

1- A great damaging shotgun that is relyable, the Hek. Big damage and it wrecks Grineer faces. Most of the shotguns need a forma for that Hell´s chamber cost.

2-Marelok it´s a great choice and it actually does more damage than the Brakk. And on top of that it doesn´t become useless at long ranges like the Brakk, because the brakk has damage drop-of over distance and spread. The issue with the marelok it´s that it is a little difficult to use because of the recoil and the spin animation, but totally worth it.

3-Soma it´s a great choice but you need to install Point Strike + Vital sense. It is Hit-Scan so it doesn´t have long range issues like the boltor prime or the supra and it comes with 2 V polarities out of the box wich helps you a lot in the polarizing process. But if you like the supra, just go for it but you will need so much effort to make it strong.

1. Tigris, Boar Prime, and Phage are some good shotguns. You could also try Drakgoon or Hek (stay away from the Sobek).

2. Take a look at the Akstiletto, Marelok, Pyrana, and Nukor. You could also try Akvasto or Akmagnus (maybe Akbolto).

3. Stay away from the Supra and Gorgon. Skip those. Get the Soma.

Tigris / Hek, I prefer Tigris but I think it's fair to say Hek is the better option more often.

Marelok / Akmagnus.

I'm not really that interested in our secondary selection. When I was leveling and progressing through the star chart I used secondaries as part of my builds and I still recommend the same to new players, but for established players like us I mostly just leave Wraith Twin Vipers on swap in case of invaders, just because they're OP, and focus on my primary. Since the primary can be so OP with a full mod setup behind it due to forma there's no need for secondaries except the best and most ammo efficient ones to allow use of unsustainable primaries. (Unless of course you just LIKE your secondary weapon obviously. It is a game afterall.)

Neither?

Frankly all LMG's are crap right now. The assault rifles do such a good job in the same role that they really have no place, and their stats aren't that great anyway. Of the two, I would say to get the Supra just because it's more novel, but at the same time the Supra is more likely to see an available upgrade since we already had Gorgon Wraith in an event.

Edited by VKhaun

1. The Drakgoon is nice if you don't mind the charge mechanic

2. Get the Marelok.  It is a beautifully over-powered secondary, and one of the few Grineer weapons that I actually like.

3. The Soma needs a crit. build.  Point Strike x Vital Sense, both maxed.  Slap that on, and I guarantee you'll love it.  The Gorgon is okay, but I'm not huge fan, and the Supra, from what I hear, has the same issues: inaccurate, ammo-hog, and a crippling reload.

Thanks everyone for quick response!

I'll try and see if I can look into the Tigris, Hek, Drakgoon, and Boar Prime. Though, seeing how Boar Prime is found in Towers, I feel as if it may take awhile.

As for secondary, I'll try and Research the Marelok, I didn't think that pistol is really high damaging.

Lastly, the MGs, I'm guessing they're mainly useless now except the Soma. Where do I find VItal Sense anyways? o.o

@Corvosin, I'm planning to get the Dragon Nikana, but Mastery 8 is definitely gonna be awhile.

Thanks everyone for quick response!

I'll try and see if I can look into the Tigris, Hek, Drakgoon, and Boar Prime. Though, seeing how Boar Prime is found in Towers, I feel as if it may take awhile.

As for secondary, I'll try and Research the Marelok, I didn't think that pistol is really high damaging.

Lastly, the MGs, I'm guessing they're mainly useless now except the Soma. Where do I find VItal Sense anyways? o.o

@Corvosin, I'm planning to get the Dragon Nikana, but Mastery 8 is definitely gonna be awhile.

vital sense is really common as reward from interceptions and defenses, the wikia recommands saturn's iapetus interception but i've seen it a load of times in sechura too, definitely not hard at all to get also drops from crewman but very rarely, also it's a small wonder that you don't find the soma to your liking without this, also makes the dread op (you might also need critical delay for dread if you want to have it at max potential tho) 

Edited by bl4ckhunter

1)

Drakgoon seems underrated. Last I checked, it's capable of some pretty stupid dps.

Think of an unholy cross of a shotgun and a bow. It charges to fire and fires a spray of pellets in a tight arc. Maximize its fire rate so that its charge time is a snap and it'll it have pretty competitive burst dps. It's also a market item.

2)

Detron or Brakk. They're basically shotgun secondaries. So that covers #1. Top dps pellet secondaries in the game.

3)

You're modding the Soma wrong. Get Split Chamber and Vital Sense to go with Serration and Point Strike. Unless you go all the way crit build with Soma, it'll disappoint you. Everything after that should be elements appropriate to faction, Mutation or Shred. (Those last two are optional, depending on preferences.)

It's far better to increase damage-per-bullet than increasing your mag size and capacity. Firing more bullets means you're wasting more ammo and taking longer to kill things. You have an ammo efficiency problem.

Try Shred for punch-through and see if you like it. It'll help spool up to full ROF on Soma much quicker, but more importantly, you should try punch-through since it'll go through pesky dead bodies and corners, which helps a huge bunch for aiming and hosing down crowds. This will help with ammo efficiency too.

I don't recommend Heavy Caliber for Soma unless you take it to max rank. Another element mod is usually better otherwise.

Avoid Critical Delay. Aside from slowing down its spooling speed, the Soma isn't a semi-automatic and needs its firing rate to average out missed crits. It's also terrible for Dread. Lower rate of fire means slower charging time on Dread and that will hurt its handling terribly.

Edited by PlayGooYa