Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Saryn: Venom Versus Contagion

Angelus_de_Mortiel

This has been bugging me to no end for a long time now.

Did someone at DE get confused when naming these skills?

Let me elaborate...

Venom: "A poisonous substance secreted by animals such as snakes, spiders, and scorpions and typically injected into prey or aggressors by biting or stinging."

Contagion: "A disease spread by the close contact of one person to another."

So why is the contagious ability named Venom, and the ability that imbues a melee weapon with toxic damage (biting or stinging, if you will) called Contagion?

I mean, seriously, it is perfectly fine if you want to reverse the names, DE... we really won't mind. And by "won't mind", I mean it would help keep us OCD people from pulling out our hair.

Well you can view Venom spores as poison glans with stingers like that of a bee as they inject a poisonous substance within the stung enemy so Venom name isn't that of an odd name choice.

Contagion respects the noun description fully except for the elemental that is applied to melee weps since meleeing a guy can be considered the contact between one person and another but arguably Toxic proc can be considered a disease aswell.

Well you can view Venom spores as poison glans with stingers like that of a bee as they inject a poisonous substance within the stung enemy so Venom name isn't that of an odd name choice.

Contagion respects the noun description fully except for the elemental that is applied to melee weps since meleeing a guy can be considered the contact between one person and another but arguably Toxic proc can be considered a disease aswell.

I respectfully disagree: Contagion has no communicable properties to it after striking that one enemy, which means it's really a Venom... Toxic damage is not necessarily defining a poison type, just that it is toxic.

Venom really defines the term Contagion. It's a pathogenic spore that spreads to nearby enemies, not a stinger of any kind. No pathogenic spore is even close to a bee's stinger. It's also VIRAL damage... as in a virus. They simply have the names reversed.

Edited by Angelus_de_Mortiel

toxin dmg = poison 

viral damage = infection (it even has a tiny bacteria next to it)

hence you're right and the names should have been reversed and it's not unheard of, but i think it's only maybe going to happen if saryn gets a rework

Edited by bl4ckhunter

toxin dmg = poison 

viral damage = infection (it even has a tiny bacteria next to it)

hence you're right and the names should have been reversed and it's not unheard of, but i think it's only maybe going to happen if saryn gets a rework

Exactly. Honestly, I would love it if they just corrected the names. Nothing else needed... Just switch the names lol.

It bugs me when people get poisonous and venomous mixed up, so this has been especially (if irrationally) aggravating for me.

Switching the names would make a great deal more sense.

While poisonous and venomous are not mutually inclusive terms, but they are related. Venom is a poison, but not all poisons are venom.

But I think you might have misstated that on accident. You meant getting "venomous" and "pathogenic" mixed up, correct?

But on your actual point, I agree. Saryn's ability Venom is directly contradicting with the definition of it's name, as venom is not contagious, nor is it viral.

Oh no, I was just making a point, as I can more or less understand getting venomous and poisonous mixed up, even though it's annoying for me, but there really should be no excuse at mixing up a toxic compound with an infectious substance.

Well, my point was saying that venomous and poisonous are not really that different, to the point where I would be technically correct in calling a snake's venompoison. Poison is a generic term for a substance that can cause illness or death, whereas venom is more specific term relating to a substance created by animals. Confusion of the two is infrequent, as the colloquial usage of venom is almost never heard outside of reference to poisonous animals, which fits the definition. Except in Digital Extreme's studio, apparently lol.

Aside, yes, there should be no excuse for mixing up the two, but it happened... and I think it would be a nice easy fix that DE should have done long ago. :-)

While poisonous and venomous are not mutually inclusive terms, but they are related. Venom is a poison, but not all poisons are venom.

But I think you might have misstated that on accident. You meant getting "venomous" and "pathogenic" mixed up, correct?

But on your actual point, I agree. Saryn's ability Venom is directly contradicting with the definition of it's name, as venom is not contagious, nor is it viral.

I think that DE used venom for two reasons: 1. Naming it poison would be dumb, and 2. The user "injects" victims by casting the ability.

I think that DE used venom for two reasons: 1. Naming it poison would be dumb, and 2. The user "injects" victims by casting the ability.

Um... What?

Description for Venom:

"Saryn tags the target with a toxic spore that does poison damage over time. Destroying the spore will spread a viral infection to nearby enemies."

A toxic spore that spreads a viral infection. In other words, a pathogenic agent that is contagious. That is a contagion. Venom is not contagious. Venom is not viral. Venom is a poison created by one animal and deliberately delivered to another by means of a sting or a bite. 

My suggestion isn't that the names are incorrect (I never said Venom should be called Poison), but rather that Contagion and Venom should be reversed.

Edited by Angelus_de_Mortiel

Um... What?

Description for Venom:

"Saryn tags the target with a toxic spore that does poison damage over time. Destroying the spore will spread a viral infection to nearby enemies."

A toxic spore that spreads a viral infection. In other words, a pathogenic agent that is contagious. There is nothing about "injecting" anything. It is a contagion. Venom is not contagious.

My suggestion isn't that the names are incorrect (I never said Venom should be called Poison), but rather that Contagion and Venom should be reversed.

You miss my point. When you use Venom, you inject  them with the  spore. But in reality spores spread, while Venom doesnt spread without you popping them.

Lets just ignore the description, its a bad one. DE should have used a different word.