Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno And Orokin Weaponry Are Utilizing Hardlight And Bolt Technology The Whole Time?

Niryco

After checking out weapons on warframes a thought struck me, with tenno and orokin weapons seem to shoot hitscan projectiles, similar to grineer weapons how would it make their base weaponry more technologically advanced?

In general it did not seem that the tenno or orokin technology was a bit more advanced but aesthetically pleasing,but upon inspection of the their weaponry, it seems possible that the tenno and orokin weapons are using solid-energy projectiles.

Weapons like the magnus and sybaris seem to have a light emitter instead of a standard weapon barrel, so these two weapons are the most likely candidates of hardlight/hard-energy projectiles.

However more perculiar weapons are the Braton VS Braton Prime and Latron VS Latron prime seem to trade the standard bullet projectile sound for something higher pitch and i am just assuming here that the orokin version of the latron and the braton (primes) use hardlight ammo. Another more interesting weapon the sicarus when reloading seems to place in an energy cell rather than a mag compared to the sicarus, does that mean it uses hardlight ammunition too?

On the other hand weapons like the burstron prime, boltor prime and lex prime seem to use bolt technology, not that the lex prime and bustron prime can't use bullets but so that the theme of it is more streamlined.... though i can't really be sure if they are all using bolts.

So in that sense if tenno and orokin weaponry are using the unique projectile traits, is it somehow important to the lore, representative within the game or any other? Or is this something that is simply a nice addition without much expansion upon?

You are thinking too hard about things not even the devs are sure about.

Well, they mostly have left these things up to US to think about.

Steve has ALWAYS said that he WANTS players to think about creating their own lore.

I think this would work to explain some things that were the result of weapon designs evolving as the game did. Correct me if I am wrong, but we started with JUST the Braton, now we have Braton, MK-1 Braton, Braton Prime and Braton Vandal. This WOULD explain some of the inconsistencies.

Maybe not neatly, but it would.

It may need some polish, but the IDEA is sound.

The main priority for weapons is that they look and sound good. Ingame/lore explanation on how/why they work is not really something devs put much thought into, just look at Brakk. Seriously, how in the hell is that thing supposed to shoot?

Ok. How is a pepperbox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper-box) supposed to shoot? Or a matchlock? (ah yes, having open flame around loose gunpowder is SUCH a good idea, is it not?)

Or my ALL TIME favorite... The gyrojet! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrojet

Edited by Kalenath

The main priority for weapons is that they look and sound good. Ingame/lore explanation on how/why they work is not really something devs put much thought into, just look at Brakk. Seriously, how in the hell is that thing supposed to shoot?

Hmm that could be quite interesting, the time of the release of the brakk after the gradivus dilemma. The use of hardlight could even signal that during the period the grineer has already begun harnessing orokin technology, or maybe hardlight research.

Well, they mostly have left these things up to US to think about.

Steve has ALWAYS said that he WANTS players to think about creating their own lore.

I think this would work to explain some things that were the result of weapon designs evolving as the game did. Correct me if I am wrong, but we started with JUST the Braton, now we have Braton, MK-1 Braton, Braton Prime and Braton Vandal. This WOULD explain some of the inconsistencies.

Maybe not neatly, but it would.

It may need some polish, but the IDEA is sound.

Ok. How is a pepperbox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper-box) supposed to shoot? Or a matchlock? (ah yes, having open flame around loose gunpowder is SUCH a good idea, is it not?)

Or my ALL TIME favorite... The gyrojet! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrojet

Now that if i were to take it further, I wonder than if the grineer said we were light simply meant tenno themselves are advanced forms of sentient lifeforms of solid light/energy beings, in a way the next step in evolution. So possibly what could corrupt the things in the void is also through the manipulation of light, in a sense the orokin ships are sentient themselves and who are able to manipulate any living being since they would have to use electrons to think and send pulses through the body. Whereas the tenno is an AI that doesn't need that form of neural transmission, information is all transmitted virtually.

In that sense tenno could be is put simply, a type of self aware artificial intelligence that can manipulate light and/or energy to form matter, thus it could also explain why there really isn't a fixed body type since warframe suits are solid but what is inside them is just energy/light that is partially solidified.

That would mean the tenno is an AI type designed for combat and to protect the orokin, possessing the knowledge of how to use every single weapon, the perfect killing machine. It could also explain why some tenno weapons use hardlight much earlier than all the grineers ever had, but at one point the grineers would have possessed part of the tech in the brakk.

If i were to take it further, what if the whole tenno cast as in the whole idea of a tenno was a whole AI system made to function with a self preservation purpose. In that sense each AI, such as Ordis and Lotus are actually integral to full function of the tenno since it is subdivided to different AI parts respectively.

I may have communicated the wrong message with my posts. My point is that the OP is looking for deliberate design where there is none.

As far as I can tell, all of the confusion comes from the early, pre-U7 weapons and their prime variants. Back then the games design and aesthetic was kinda inconsistent, and some of it's wierdness persists even today.

EDIT:

One thing I will add to the hardlight discussion:

All hitscan weapons have the same impact sparks. If it were some form of advanced hardlight technology, shouldn't they be different?

Edited by Playford

I may have communicated the wrong message with my posts. My point is that the OP is looking for deliberate design where there is none.

As far as I can tell, all of the confusion comes from the early, pre-U7 weapons and their prime variants. Back then the games design and aesthetic was kinda inconsistent, and some of it's wierdness persists even today.

Well we could atleast pick up on what consistencies each designs had at one period of time. Reason being for that period it might be plausible that well the devs were aiming to convey something but felt it was inappropriate and so changed the approach.

However i can agree that i am probably just stretching things too. However than what could explain how tenno or orokin weapons rival current technology or simply be more advanced? I feel that is quite an important aspect because it could identify what type of tier their weapons were and even possibly define to what extent was their ability to manipulate their environmental factors(such as how advanced was their chemistry/molecular physics even mircobiology) This can help us understand even so what is a tenno since they were also birthed with weapons not outside of it, they were made as weapons.

Well we could atleast pick up on what consistencies each designs had at one period of time. Reason being for that period it might be plausible that well the devs were aiming to convey something but felt it was inappropriate and so changed the approach.

That would be very problematic. Warframe's development history is very complicated and long (some concept art and designs date back to 2004).

is the Dark Sector trailer released in '04. You can see early versions of Grineer Lancers using the Burston and it doesn't even look out of place. The assets were reused for Warframe and haven't been updated.

If you want my advice: pretend that pre-U7 weapons don't exist (atleast the non-prime versions).

Edited by Playford

That would be very problematic. Warframe's development history is very complicated and long (some concept art and designs date back to 2004).

is the Dark Sector trailer released in '04. You can see early versions of Grineer Lancers using the Burston and it doesn't even look out of place. The assets were reused for Warframe and haven't been updated.

If you want my advice: pretend that pre-U7 weapons don't exist (atleast the non-prime versions).

hahahha was here during update 8, YESH! So everything has relevance, YESH!

Edited by Jacate