The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Block This Or Not: The State Of Blocking In Warframe

Odog4ever

I look like a freaking jedi bouncing all these bullets of my sword (admittedly sweet) but what is the point? I have yet to see anyone use blocking effectively in combat.

I think blocking would be useful if:

1. Bullets bounced back and damaged the enemy.

2. I can hold it for more than a couple of seconds. Basically stamina only drains while being attached.

3. It staggered/stunned enemies that try to melee me.

4. Kept me from being knocked down by AOE attacks (could take or leave this one)

Edited by Odog4ever

I look like a freaking jedi bouncing all these bullets of my sword (admittedly sweet) but what is the point? I have yet to see anyone use blocking effectively in combat.

I think blocking would be useful if:

1. Bullets bounced back and damaged the enemy.

2. I can hold it for more than a couple of seconds. Basically stamina only drains while being attached.

3. It staggered/stunned enemies that try to melee me.

4. Kept me from being knocked down by AOE attacks (could take or leave this one)

Sure the devs are just implementing this now, but those ideas are pretty nice and i suport most of them. Just think blocking on Monster Hunter and you'll have something kind of similar to this.

Aside from being able to block and stagger melee enemies, more importantly i should be allowed to backpedal while blocking. Right now i can't even try to block some bullets while backpedaling to cover because the game makes you turn completely around! Just let us block in the direction the camera is facing, please!

Aside from being able to block and stagger melee enemies, more importantly i should be allowed to backpedal while blocking. Right now i can't even try to block some bullets while backpedaling to cover because the game makes you turn completely around! Just let us block in the direction the camera is facing, please!

That's actually a great point with Blocking... Right now blocking is just a cool looking tool that makes charging your enemies and closing melee distance more awesome. So basically, Blocking is an offensive move, not a defensive one as intended. This does need to be adressed, maybe by making block movement while going back slower. This way you'll increase tension that you can't look away, turn tail and run. You have to face your enemy with a block up unless you give him your back and give him a chance to backstab you.

It could be nice if blocking reduced stun/stagger (because right now its freaking useless) and protected against disruption/poison of ancients and fire of ...-baton. Also adding reduced stamina drain (when hit) and better protection if block is timed correctly.

It could be nice if blocking reduced stun/stagger (because right now its freaking useless) and protected against disruption/poison of ancients and fire of ...-baton. Also adding reduced stamina drain (when hit) and better protection if block is timed correctly.

It'd be better if blocking can just parry melee hits. Lighter weapons can only block lighter melee (batons, saws, regular Infested) and heavier weapons can block both heavy and light melee (Ancient hits, Powerfist etc.). A well-timed block will stagger the attacker, negate all damage/effects and leave the player unaffected. A not-so-well-timed block will reduce damage from the hit and knock the player backwards, without knocking down/staggering though. Also, blocking shouldn't do anything against poison. It comes from the gas, not the actual melee hit from the Ancient, strangely.

I keep forgetting block even exists!

since it seems to have no effect against any form of attack, I do too. It also drains stamina as fast as sprinting does. I remapped my block key the first day, expecting that the awesome looking animation done when lancers fired at me while I was blocking to do something. Thus far it seems to do nothing, which is a pity. The ability to melee and block the Grineer skana using boss would make that a fun challenge  (beating him without using a ranged weapon that is)