Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fixing Continuous Damage Weapons/why Does A Lazer Constantly Burning On Someones Chest Not Constantly Do Damage?

Gahrzerkire

All continuous damage weapons currently have their damage numbers rounded off and only applied when a rounded number "pops" up onto your screen.

What this does is say you have a continuous beam weapon on a Corrupted Moa for one second. In that time you drop it down to 1/4 health (with the first damage tick) By the time the second tick rolls around one second later the Moa has had time to deploy its Osprey which is extremely annoying because it shouldn't have had time. After all if your continuous weapon had been dealing continuous damage then 1/3 of a second after your first tick of damage it should have been STONE COLD DEAD. However it isn't and you now have to deal with its buddy. This is damage system EXTREMELY annoying because it gives enemies time to fight and time to activate powers that they really shouldn't have.

I propose that we go back to the old Continuous damage system, where damage was dealed per tick or at your frame rate. I.E instead of seeing rounded numbers of damage per second and then having it applied as it is now, you have your damage applied for every frame or every tick. This allows your weapon to continuously deal damage as it should. 

Now adding on to this. I believe that the status of continuous weapons is obscene. Seriously your enemy has a lazer protruding from their chest or they are being bombarded by microwaves and they only can be lite on fire once a second? or they can only be irradiated once a second? (in the case of the Nukor they ARE being irradiated.) It would be horribly unreasonable to ask DE to make the chance be rolled per tick at least without nerfing the proc chance. Which would be unacceptable. So at least for the sake of all things holy buff it to 2 times per second base for all continuous weapons (or make it unique for each weapon) and then have the proc per second roll be effected by RoF mods. Therefore if you have say shred on your Quanta (Buffed to 2 rolls per second base) the new number of proc chance rolls per second is 3.2, or if you keep the base proc per sec at 1, it is 1,6 with shred equipped

Continuous weapons NEED A BUFF. I.E I WANT CONTINUOUS WEAPONS TO DO CONTINUOUS DAMAGE. Which is completely reasonable. I also want the proc chance of continuous weapons to actually be worth Jack Micheal Shatnerage.

So DE my question is, What are you going to do about continuous weapons and there current sub-par preformance? Also how and when can we expect to see them buffed in this aspect and receive decent proc chances? Is the ability to modify proc chance per second with fire rate mods reasonable? after all it seems extremely logical.

I think it was all to make the actual damage more readable to the player, so they can know how much damage they are doing. Fact is that the system they used to implement this caused the delay from when the beam contact is made to actual damage. It was quite a unnecessary addition and I still wish they had not done that. I don't care to see what damage I am doing; just as long as the thing I am shooting at is dead.

I imagine they did this for network optimization, but yes, all of the beam weapons have a noticeable delay between shooting something and the damage ticks, which is jarring on some of them (swipe over a group of super-weak enemies and it takes a second before the enemy finally bursts and falls to pieces)

And if it was for damage readability...I would prefer it just shows the damage in delayed stacks, rather than delaying the damage itself. We even got the option to disable damage display altogether...

Edited by ScorpDK

I think it was all to make the actual damage more readable to the player, so they can know how much damage they are doing. Fact is that the system they used to implement this caused the delay from when the beam contact is made to actual damage. It was quite a unnecessary addition and I still wish they had not done that. I don't care to see what damage I am doing; just as long as the thing I am shooting at is dead.

Damage is readable in the Arsenal. That how much damage you do per damage tick (no idea how to put this with beam weapons). However they don't have to have all the numbers be flying out. They could continue to show damage as they currently are just apply it the way it was. Honestly I would like to see tons of numbers but I would rather not see tons of numbers and have it applied as if it were regardless.

Guest Tehnoobshow

Right now the damage ticks occur every 1/3 of a second, just tripling the tick rate should be enough. And it'll still be slower than most automatics.

Right now the damage ticks occur every 1/3 of a second, just tripling the tick rate should be enough. And it'll still be slower than most automatics.

Even so that would still be too slow, they are Continuous weapons the damage needs to be broken into tiny pieces and applied over the continuum that is a second, thats the only way to realistically represent continuous weapons.

Guest Tehnoobshow

Even so that would still be too slow, they are Continuous weapons the damage needs to be broken into tiny pieces and applied over the continuum that is a second, thats the only way to realistically represent continuous weapons.

This is a video game, realism doesn't apply, and considering most anti personnel weapons in real life tend to have delayed effects due to the target's trauma induced adrenaline rush, that's not a fair comparison either. The whole reason continuous weapons have delayed tick is to reduced number clutter. Simply increasing the damage tick rate to be equal to that of an automatic weapon would be enough to solve both problems.