Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion For Fixing "invalid Target" Problems

SullyTheStalker

There are some Warframe abilities that required centering your crosshairs on a single enemy to activate, and I've noticed that sometimes this leads to decent amounts of frustration and button mashing (in my experience, at least).  The problem with these abilities is that the exact center of the reticule needs to be on the target, and when the target is moving, this can cause trouble with "invalid target" messages popping up.

Here are a list of abilites that can cause this situation:

Ash's Teleport and Blade Storm

Frost's Freeze

Loki's Switch Teleport

Nekros' Soul Punch

Nyx's Mind Control

Oberon's Smite

Saryn's Venom

Trinity's Well of Life and Energy Vampire

My suggestion is to not just use the center dot of the reticule, but the entire circle of the reticule for targeting these abilities, and, in the event of multiple targets occupying the space in the reticule's circle, have the ability's effects apply to whichever target is closest.  This doesn't necessarily get rid of "invalid target" messages completely, but it could potentially tone down the butt-hurt and button mashing that comes with trying to cast abilities while in a pinch.

Edited by SullyTheStalker

There are some Warframe abilities that required centering your crosshairs on a single enemy to activate, and I've noticed that sometimes this leads to decent amounts of frustration and button mashing (in my experience, at least).  The problem with these abilities is that the exact center of the reticule needs to be on the target, and when the target is moving, this can cause trouble with "invalid target" messages popping up.

Here are a list of abilites that can cause this situation:

Ash's Teleport and Blade Storm

Frost's Freeze

Loki's Switch Teleport

Nekros' Soul Punch

Nyx's Mind Control

Oberon's Smite

Saryn's Venom

Trinity's Well of Life and Energy Vampire

My suggestion is to not just use the center dot of the reticule, but the entire circle of the reticule for targeting these abilities, and, in the event of multiple targets occupying the space in the reticule's circle, have the ability's effects apply to whichever target is closest.  This doesn't necessarily get rid of "invalid target" messages completely, but it could potentially tone down the butt-hurt and button mashing that comes with trying to cast abilities while in a pinch.

A viable change. However one can argue that they made it the direct center of your crosshairs to counteract the fact that it's an auto hit attack Instead of leading your enemy like you need to for abilities with travel time. You need to focus on the particular enemy at hand even with all the jumping around and movement going on between you and your adversary. Like, a different, near opposite way of using aim and skill to hit them.

Travel time = lead your shots, Autohit = focus and pinpoint precision. At least, that's how I think of it.

Edited by SoulEchelon