Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So Gauntlet Launched Earlier This Evening And I Have Two Questions:

Eyeless

A. Has anyone else gotten in on all the succulent turkey or am I the only serious Gauntlet fan on these forums?

B. Does ah...does anyone have a Wyrm Slayer Mask code that they don't want or would be willing to trade for a Steam item or two? 

I'm honestly a bit bummed I didn't know about it until today and wasn't able to get one with the other preorder goodies I got. 

Any real action, or is it just pure RPG?

I remember playing D2 and enjoying stuff like killing the mobs that rez minions and leaping around on stuff... but since D2 everything, including D3, is full of timers, invisible walls, and all the enemies are just kamikaze melee or stand-and-shoot drones. Titan Quest bored me even though everyone said it was the greatest thing ever.

I think I decided I was done with ARPG's when I got to the second playthrough of D3 and a big slow mob with a big slow stun attack spawned with 'Super Fast' so it was just this complete RPG gear check that was always right up my @$$ with tons of HP tons of damage and tons of CC. I realized any fast mob could spawn with a prefix for extra HP/damage and be the same thing.

Fields and lasers were interesting at first, but combined with stupid gear check enemies they just mean that I could not stand still long enough to rotate my CC combos and it became lose-lose. Stand still and die to fields/lasers, move and die to OP mob that's faster than me.

Tell me Gauntlet is different and I'll try it, but I seriously doubt it looking at the gameplay vids.

Edited by VKhaun

-snip-

These games are what really started the whole hacn'n slash dungeon crawler craze. 

The series evolved over the years to go like this:

You have 4 classes, each with a few different abilities. No side-grades or alternate takes on the classes. You take what you get and you get good with it or die as the difficulty increases. It's all about positioning, timing, and hasty execution of your rabid battle plan as you take on legions of oppressive enemy spawns, either alone (which takes balls at later levels and on higher difficulty) or learn how to coordinate with a team properly. 

There's no reliance on loot like the atypical dungeon crawler has. No potions or anything. The only loot you have are

A. Potions. You can hold 5 in this current iteration, which are used to cast Relics, powerful side-abilities you unlock and equip to your chosen hero for an exotic mob clearing/utility spell.

B. Gold. Use this to buy Relics as well as vanity items you unlock by clearing levels on higher difficulties.

C. Succulent turkey, your only means of health recovery.

Each class is completely unique and in my opinion very fun to play. They'll all take at least a little practice to master, though I personally feel that the Elf (Ranger) is the easiest one to pull off. 

You can either work together with your team, calling out who gets which half of the gold laced hallway and which two players get the two Turkeys chilling in the hidden room you just uncovered with a barrel of dynamite. 

Food can also be destroyed, as can Potions, and you can take /everyone/ elses gold. So depending on who ya play with you'll either be getting sabotaged or eventually honed into gears within a well oiled machine of slaughter.

Gauntlet places a heavy emphasis on knowledge of your class and your ability to work together in synergy, over grinding out for random pieces of loot.

Skill <~~~ Items 

The game looks incredibly basic on the surface but when you play it becomes apparent just how precise you have to be at later levels. Your timing can't be off, you can't lost track of where you're going, fail at both and you'll botch an axe swing, the enemies break your poise, and you retreat back with half your health when the party is only just getting started. 

The action itself is very fast and fluid however, despite all this talk of timing and precision. 

This is a game? I've never heard of it. 

http://store.steampowered.com/app/258970/

you had me at succulent turkey.

Here here! 

Funnily enough when the game was made available to play at PAX earlier this year they had a truck pull over outside the convention that gave away free turkey legs for everyone to feast on. Wish I coulda been there, those drumsticks looked delicious. 

Edited by Hastur609

Get out from under that rock.

Unless you are really young you should know about Gauntlet. 

It was quite a big game in the 80's and this is a remake. 

Heh, I'm young but grew up on the games. This game is the most fun I've had in months, Arrowhead did wonders with the feel of each class.