The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lets Talk About Afkers Really Quick.

Skyed

please show me how, these mk1's are getting to me.

Well from what I've read on the forums, a host can unplug their network cord causing all teammates to get timed out then plug it back in.  They can also go to their EE.log to get player IP addresses then add those addresses to the block table in their firewall or router.

But there probably is another way, program or operating system functionality to monitor for connections and block them without having to exit the game or temporarily disable your network connection.

Well from what I've read on the forums, a host can unplug their network cord causing all teammates to get timed out then plug it back in.  They can also go to their EE.log to get player IP addresses then add those addresses to the block table in their firewall or router.

But there probably is another way, program or operating system functionality to monitor for connections and block them without having to exit the game or temporarily disable your network connection.

this is more or less it.

the ee.log solution allows you to target individual players without negatively impacting the whole group. (and the innocent)

adding those IP addresses to a block list is easy enough.

however, this won't work for connections that are frequently changed due to DHCP leases.

with a little bit of script-fu you could probably whip up something that's fairly easy to use, but i haven't bothered. 

i just use the ee.log and my linux router to block them.

edit:

i highly doubt that this is okay with DE however.

Edited by xethier

Ya well I only heard about it from the forums mods.

moderators aren't DE. they're volunteers.

and while i would maintain that everybody has the right to control access to their own network / machine resources... (and thus are perfectly valid in following this method) -- i can't speak for DE, nor can the mods.

moderators aren't DE. they're volunteers.

and while i would maintain that everybody has the right to control access to their own network / machine resources... (and thus are perfectly valid in following this method) -- i can't speak for DE, nor can the mods.

Ya but I like to think of them as the lawful neutral or lawful good of the warframe community and if they're driven to do it then you gotta wonder if DE is going to ignore the issue of players doing it or do a psa instead of suddenly imposing massive punishments for such behavior.

when i run into an afker, i screenshot them and the end mission screen that shows how little they did in the mission, then send it to support.

the only problem is im not sure how much information they need for these kinds of reports, so i tell them what mission and what time it happened

i hope someday we figure out some kind of template form so its quicker to report a player for being a ball and chain.

Dude. Really? Reporting people for things like this? Just a waste of DE's time. I understand it can be frustating but that makes no sense. Calm it down, stop wasting DE's time with your useless tickets and wait for a kick option to come out.

Dude. Really? Reporting people for things like this? Just a waste of DE's time. I understand it can be frustating but that makes no sense. Calm it down, stop wasting DE's time with your useless tickets and wait for a kick option to come out.

actually, DE (i believe, correct me if i'm wrong) has asked that folks do this. 

I know i've done it a few times, and the response from DE was rapid, helpful and obviously didn't seem to mind.

thank you doing that right now.

What about that reputation system which was in the works? I like that idea a lot more, if it's very simple to use.

Allow people to upvote people's reputation at the end of a match. Also allow players to "flag" a player as an AFKer.

The former makes it so you're more likely to play with people whose reputations you've upvoted. The latter is a negative point system; the more AFK flags you accrue, the more likely you are to be matched with people with AFK flags. The equation is +Reputation – [AFK Flags] = Reputation. If Reputation >= 0, you will be matched normally. If Reputation < 0, you will be matched with people who have a –Reputation ~ [Your Reputation].

It's not perfect, because people can still AFK Flag players they just don't like, even if they weren't AFK, but I think it's better than a kick system. Would take longer to start taking effect though.

We'll see if you still say that, when you got your reputation destroyed by your enemies with the second, third... accounts.

3 minute idle kick timer, every game ever has had it, why not this one really isnt hard

problems solved

Where did that work? AFK-ing and the likes are a problem in every game with grindy parts.