The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Nerf Wave Dashing?!

Teishu

I just completely agree with you on this.

I don't need stupid looking moves to have "fun" in the game and believability, immersion, coherence, consistency matters to me and it no way prevents you from enjoying the game. 

I assume it's just like with GTA and San Andreas.

K style was also the "we leave it there, because we don't care and it's not like anybody take this game seriously" bug-to-feature...

They left it there because the entire community embraced it and it actually added something to the game.  Wave dashing just made warframe easier.

They left it there because the entire community embraced it and it actually added something to the game.  Wave dashing just made warframe easier.

You got me wrong - what I've meant is they just left it there instead of properly incorporating it.

Let's take combos for example - also originally a glitch, but later embraced and implement properly with combo meters so it actually felt like a feature. In Gunz, they just left it that way ignoring how stupid and broken it looked in some cases (e.g. air dash cancel).

Anyway, wave dash is gone and that's good.

Using argument such "My Rhino is so slow now" is stupid, since, as was already said here, Rhino is meant to be slow by design.

However, one should rather ask, why is Rhino so slow at first? So far we have to accept this, but I personally don't find making a character in cooperative non-pvp game slow as a suitable balance solution.

I'm not the original poster and you obviously didn't actually read what i wrote about emergent gameplay. Do you realize that if developpers would have "fixed" these mechanics we wouldn't have bunny hopping, rocket jumping or even combo in fighting games ? (yes, combos were invented by players and it wasnt supposed to happen in the first place)

an exploit needs to be fixed, a bug needs to be fixed.  That wasn't a bug, the slide still gives you a speed boost and you can still sprint crouch sprint crouch, they just put a couple more second of delay between 2 slides.  This slide has absolutly nothing to do with your exemple which is simply a gamebreaking exploit.

stop being so freaking condescendant when you don't know what this wave dashing is.  I'm fighting for this game future here, not because i can't go 20% faster when i run in corridors (who gives a S#&$ about speed in warframe, it has no actual impact on game balance, it just make it less boring)

If the developers are ok with it, it's fine. If they want it fixed and therefore remove it, it wasn't intended to be there in the first place and is therefore unwanted use of mechanics. Regardless of the example given, if the developers don't see fit to keep it around, they remove it. If they want it to be a part of their game they leave it or leave the capability to do so in future games. It's not a crazy concept. It's not "emergent gameplay" really if they fix it. If they fix it it's obvious they don't want it.

It's not "emergent gameplay" really if they fix it.

I slightly disagree, since it is emergent, and it is also gameplay.... the problem is that people forget "Emergent Gameplay" in a game is like "Emergent Growth" in your body.

99.9% of the time it's a tumor, wart, or autoimmune disease, and 0.0001% of the time it's the next stage in human evolution. Odds just aren't good.

Edited by HvcTerr

I partially disagree, since it is emergent, and it is also gameplay.... the problem is that people forget "Emergent Gameplay" in a game is like "Emergent Growth" in your body.

99% of the time it's an unsightly tumor or wart, and 9.99% of the time it's a deadly tumor, and only 0.01% of the time is it something cool.

True. If you simplify it the name applies either way, but I'd say "emergent gameplay" is more implied to be "legitimate" or something along those lines. Something that is not viewed as an exploit/bug/glitch/whatever and the developers instead decide to leave or even embrace. If it gets fixed then it was a bug type oddity that got squashed and needed squashed.

It reminds me of wallbouncing or wave dashing and cancelling and stuff from Gears and Smash Bros. People would even go so far as to say if you didn't do them you were bad/trash/whatever which I find entirely ridiculous. Doing these things also didn't make you good either tbh, it's just using mechanics and I don't believe either of them were  things that were intended but instead were either left in or unchanged by the devs because they emerged. Honestly, mechanics like that are easy to isolate because if the game was designed to play that way then they would program the AI to do them at the very least at the hardest difficulty.

Edited by BlueCremeSoda

As someone who hadn't heard of nor seen this concept before now. . . seriously? You're pissed off because DE nerfed your ability to look like you're doing a full-body apple-bobbing experience just to move a bit faster, and then you have the arrogance to claim that you're 'fighting for this game future[sic]'? 

So, now that you can't move a bit faster, perhaps you can cultivate this itty bitty talent that many adults need called patience? 

:C please just make it apart of the game and not completely ruin the sole reason that made war frame bearable. everyone could do it, its not like it provided an unfair advantage over pubs. Just make it a special maneuver. pls :C... i mean some of us spent hours mastering the timing required to k walk/wave dash. it wasn't even something that people really complained about. i aint even complaining about why Vor farming was patched or that you cant abort. thats all reasonable. but...getting rid of wave dashing/kwalking. what have you done. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE >:C. 

EDIT: they had the same "problem" in GUNZ. they left it in and it later became a well loved aspect of the game. actually made the games heaps more fun.

can yu remind me wut is the actual state of GunZ...

i am not sure it's a good example.... (also yeah something better than wave dash exist)

Edited by Tsoe

You got me wrong - what I've meant is they just left it there instead of properly incorporating it.

Let's take combos for example - also originally a glitch, but later embraced and implement properly with combo meters so it actually felt like a feature. In Gunz, they just left it that way ignoring how stupid and broken it looked in some cases (e.g. air dash cancel).

Anyway, wave dash is gone and that's good.

Using argument such "My Rhino is so slow now" is stupid, since, as was already said here, Rhino is meant to be slow by design.

However, one should rather ask, why is Rhino so slow at first? So far we have to accept this, but I personally don't find making a character in cooperative non-pvp game slow as a suitable balance solution.

They didn't need to "properly incorporate it," it worked well as it was.  And sometimes "properly incorporating it" isn't feasible since reporducing it perfectly isn't as easy as it might seem.  That's why maiet' s attempts to implement elements of kstyle in gunz 2 have failed by most accounts.

Edited by Aggh

They didn't need to "properly incorporate it," it worked well as it was.  And sometimes "properly incorporating it" isn't feasible since reporducing it perfectly isn't as easy as it might seem.  That's why maiet' s attempts to implement elements of kstyle in gunz 2 have failed by most accounts.

So you think it was their incompetence to properly implement the exploits from the first game rather than intentional design decision to not add all of them on purpose? Players loving exploits doesn't mean the developer is happy with that.

Anyway, let's say you are right in this - incompetence of developer to properly implement bugs-to-features is no excuse and it's a different problem.