Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Different Way To Fix Strict Nat?

Funkadelic521

Question

Hi i have just recently gotten back into warframe; it is an amazing game, but the reason why i stopped for a while is due to the strict nat, which was preventing me from playing with friends and even random people. One friend who is great with computers and knew how to solve the strict nat was telling me how i could fix it. The thing is the way he told me how to fix it was for people who had a router and how they could log into their router and adjust its settings to work with warframe. That will not work with me though, i am a college student and on a budget, so i tether my phone to my pc as my source of internet. So i don't have the option that my friend told me about.

So is there another way to get past strict nat with me tethering my phone to my pc? Or is it even possible to get past strict nat while tethering?

12 answers to this question

Phones shouldn't have any ports blocked (aside from port 25)

Even if you get the strict NAT prompt, it should still work.

No idea why it is not working for you.  Did you set your phone's tether on your Network Settings as "Home" or "Work"?  Do you have a third party Firewall (or anti-virus software that has firewall component)?  Might need to change settings in there to trust the mobile network.  

Though these would comes with its own security issues.

Sorry been busy with college, but my provider is metropcs.  As for the settings, i am tethering through the program easy tether pro so i don't think i can set it as a home or work connection. 

I still really want to play with my buds >_<

Edit: wait i checked on my network and sharing center and it is set as a home network. Would i have to change it to a work network? Gonna check my firewall right now

Edit: I am using the windows firewall, i just checked and it is allowing both warframes on home/private networks

Edited by Funkadelic521

I don't know if this will help you or if you are able to do this but when my NAT goes strict I unplug my router for a couple of minutes and that usually solves the problem (not always but most of the time)

no hes using a phone to do it so he cant do that.OP ill look into it and see what i can find that might help you

EDIT: Ok from what i gather the Provider controls your NAT in the case of tethering as the device doesnt have full routing options so youre limited to what the service provider gives you. Some have had luck with tethering to one computer then sharing that connection through the ethernet to another computer/console but thats a shot in the dark and might not work. Tethering means youre pretty much at the mercy of your service provider. Idk if you can call and see if they can help but yea thats about all you can do.

Edited by Echoa

I went to the website for your tethering software. Your strict NAT issues are being caused by it, it says so on the website.

You will need to contact their support on how to allow specific ports through and if they implement UPnP etc.

EasyTether shares Internet connection on your Android smartphone with your computer or tablet.

Features

• Implemented as a normal NAT application with full TCP and UDP support

No easy fix for your situation really, read about your tetherpro software and all it does is help you share your internet connection (using NAT) to many network devices that you might have. It does not say anything about being able to handle DNAT which is what really strict NAT is. Have a try with a rooted android device and install the necessary software for it to become a fully fledged router. There's maybe a how-to floating around somewhere in the net. But before you go that route, better check your carrier if it allows you the customer to perform DNAT (they usually block initial incoming connection to their customers).

I went to the website for your tethering software. Your strict NAT issues are being caused by it, it says so on the website.

You will need to contact their support on how to allow specific ports through and if they implement UPnP etc.

EasyTether shares Internet connection on your Android smartphone with your computer or tablet.

Features

• Implemented as a normal NAT application with full TCP and UDP support

the thing is though that phones dont support UPNP on tethering nor do they support port forwarding. Tethering is going to have nat problems regardless of what app as far as Ive found because the phone itself doesn't control those. There are people with many different devices and apps having the same sort of strict nat issues when attempting to tether and play games either on their PC, PS, or Xbox.  I would say go ahead and give another app a try though to see if it helps but it more than likely wont.

Here is the way someone claimed they got open nat on their Xbox using tethering http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1618279

Looks like since the tethering doesnt seem to support upnp and such you might have to go through another device that can take care of that for you. Until phones allow more advanced routing this may be the only option.

EDIT: another potential solution http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2015974

Edited by Echoa

the thing is though that phones dont support UPNP on tethering nor do they support port forwarding. Tethering is going to have nat problems regardless of what app as far as Ive found because the phone itself doesn't control those. There are people with many different devices and apps having the same sort of strict nat issues when attempting to tether and play games either on their PC, PS, or Xbox.  I would say go ahead and give another app a try though to see if it helps but it more than likely wont.

Actually depending on how the software doing the tethering is written it can emulate UPnP etc as a part of its NAT.

I have tethered my phone using the baked in tethering in android without strict NAT issues because my PC was not NATed by the phone(it was essentially in DMZ automatically) and my phone carrier does not NAT mobile devices on its network.