Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Equip - Slots - How Many?

Jyrm

Question

Granted this is COMPLETELY up to you, (and if you want to be on the show Hoarders).

I will start with a proposal and wanted to see what the Warframe community thought (keep in mind I am probably about 2 weeks in the game so far and any knowledge shared, mundane or not, will be new and appreciated).  Thank you in advance.

I understand I will want to have a colorful equipment inventory, with a range of weapon characteristics to fill the various roles for a squad/mission.  Of course, to also compliment and create decent synergy with your selected Warframe.

FOR THE SAKE OF KEEPING THIS SHORT - No need to go into secondary weapons

My thoughts were this - 

Primary items - 3 status guns (ie: chem/burn/freeze), 2 sniper style, 1 short range (ie shotgun), 2 AoE, 3 midrange (bolter/assualt style)

Primary total - 11

Melee items - 2 fast swing, 2 high status chance, 2 slowswing, and meh. .  .3 filler?

Melee total - 9

TOTAL (WITHOUT SECONDARY) - 20 slots????

The PRIMARY question is how many equip slots are "enough"

Secondary question (if you dont mind) what are your go to guns? (melee and primary)??

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

18 answers to this question

Idk, I have about 70 and its not enough xD

Make it this way: buy as many slots as many weapons you want to have. So buy those 20 and if it happened that you don't want to scrap any of already built weapons, simply buy more slots. They aren't that expensive afterall :P

Thanks Lanieu for the response - Farming Fang and Latron Prime parts last weekend. . . got the BP - just need items now.

Do you still find yourself building mundane weapons just for the Mastery points?

The PRIMARY question is how many equip slots are "enough"

Secondary question (if you dont mind) what are your go to guns? (melee and primary)??

Enough to have one of each weapon, I keep everything always. Though I might not repopulate after building an ak- or dual variant.

Goto weapons? Really depends.

Latron Wraith when wearing Mirage,

Boar Prime when feeling like getting in close

Boltor prime when I don't care about ammo

Bo Prime when wearing Mirage

Dragon Nikana when wearing Nyx[Prime]

Orthos Prime, Latron Prime when wearing Frost Prime

Dual Ichor when wearing Valkyr

Edited by SilentMobius

Well to start you should get yourself a good primary Assault rifle. The two best in the game are IMO the Soma and boltor prime. I prefer the soma over the boltor but many people will tell you the boltor is the best primary in the game. Yet my soma build often outshines my boltor prime build. I guess it comes down to if you want a hit scan weapon (soma) or want to rely on the boltor primes extra armor penetration. However keep in mind that to turn any weapon into a god like killing machine requires a significant amount of forma. Both my boltor and soma have 4 in them.

As for shotguns I run the tigris. Most people think its garbage but I have a very effective punch through build for it (sitting at 4 forma currently but I have plans to do a 5th eventually). IMO this build makes it the best shotgun in the game. However its not a weapon where you run in and spam fire like the boar prime. The tigris rewards patience and precision. If you use it correctly it'll take care of you

There is one other top tier weapon that Ill recommend till the end of time. Thats the Amprex. Its a continuous beam weapon which fires out electricity and arcs to other nearby enemies. With a crit build you can clear rooms very quickly but this will require a significant amount of forma. Currently my amprex is sitting at 4 forma. It should be noted that at this time I dont feel the glaxion or ignis (fire/ice weapons) are worthwhile guns for end game and they certainly dont compare to the amprex. That said the glaxion is fun but I dont feel like its a top tier weapon at this time either

Some other good primaries I recomend trying are the Dread, tiberon, latron prime (I actually prefer wraith over prime but you cant get that now), and vectis

Now secondaries. Usually I have one of two thoughts here. 1. I want a powerful single pistol to easily get headshots and take down powerful targets at at least medium range with just a few bullets. 2. I want a pair of machine pistols to mow down enemies. In the former case the Marelok is probably the best pistol in the game right now but the Lex prime and vasto are also effective. For the latter I personally use the Dex furis but you cant get those anymore so good alternatives are the twin vipers or AKzani

Finally there's melee. I find melee is the kind of thing that play style most determines is good or bad. Some people love heavy weapons. Others like crit weapons. Personally my favorite is orthos prime but I also like dual swords (dual skana being my current favorite though I have used them all yet). I recommend you experiment and find one that works for you. Generally the best melee weapons are considered to be the Dragon Nikana and Dual ichor and I agree those are good weapons. However some other good weapons are Orthos prime, Fang prime, Kronen, Jat Kittag,and the atterax.

As for your slots, buy as many as you need and no more. You dont need to have every weapon in the game or even a large assortment of weapons. With a few forma you can make one god like weapon you enjoy and play with that.

Edited by kuri99

@Jyrm

Sure thing. I'm Mastery Rank 13 right now.  I get new weapons for variety in gameplay and to see if I like them mainly...mastery rank is just an added bonus.  However, if I hate a weapon I still make sure to level it up to 30 - I used to not do that as a new player and now have ~5 half-leveled weapons that I have since sold.  P.S. The Codex > Weapons will tell you which weapons you have leveled up.

Primary items - 3 status guns (ie: chem/burn/freeze), 2 sniper style, 1 short range (ie shotgun), 2 AoE, 3 midrange (bolter/assualt style)

Primary total - 11

Melee items - 2 fast swing, 2 high status chance, 2 slowswing, and meh. .  .3 filler?

Melee total - 9

Wow, you are going to need a bigger safe with all the hardware...

no, you do not need 3 status guns with different base damage types.  Get one high status gun that you like and change the damage type with mods.   Note that your choice of status gun can fill another role by simply changing the mods out.   

no, you do not need 2 sniper rifles either.   You don't actually need ANY sniper rifles -- if you enjoy these weapons, lock and load but they are not required.    Your sniper rifle *can* fill both the sniper role and the status or crit build roles, and can even behave like a "better shotgun" in many cases. 

You probably do need one full auto midrange.  Here again you can duo that as a status weapon.  Why you think you need more than one of these is beyond me though.   

You do not need a shotgun at all. 

what is missing is something for a crit build, but like status, that can be one of your other weapons as a duo or even, in the case of one or two really flexible weapons, a trio (crit, status, and ??? but not really all 3 at once, talking ability to rebuild it for various purposes). 

So far we have 3 guns total.   Lets talk specifics then .... take a look at the vectis, a sniper rifle that can mimic a point and shoot shotgun at short/mid range,  can be built for status, can be built for crit,  and can generally serve for anything at all except the spray and pray type guns that are needed for very large groups of enemy.    Or take a look at the ice weapon,  glaxion, which is high damage, medium range, full auto, high status chance, and can be a full elemental type weapon.   These are just a couple of examples of one gun filling multiple roles. 

Same for your sidearm.   You might want a full auto,  or a sniper,  or whatever.    I can't see needing more than 3 sidearms and really you can get by with one or two good ones. 

Melee, you need 1 weapon, 2 if you like the thrown boomerang types from time to time.   

So we have 3-4 primaries, 1-2 secondary, and 1-2 melee.  Max total of 8.   And you can get by with less than that. 

Edited by jonnin

You can't really have too many.  If you enjoy the game, they'll keep releasing new weapons to acquire later on.  I've got at least 1 weapon for every melee stance, and 1 type of every gun + all the unique ones.  How many to buy with money is another story.  The more you buy, the more entertaining the game will be.  But if you hold off and make just a few weapons powerful, you can sell items to players for platinum after grinding a bunch and playing for probably a long time first.

Edited by SleepingSentry

This has been a very educational post, with a lot of helpful insight. It has further highlighted the plethora of options to enjoy this new (to me) game.

Thank you again.  I've written down several of the mention'd guns and will be reading up on them. . .

It's been mention'd a couple times. . . and now it looks like I will need to educate myself on "selling for plat" options. . . still, I am more likely to throw some $$$ at the game, with the hopes and dreams that it will continue to be developed and supported.

AGAIN! THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVISE AND RESPONSES.  

.  P.S. The Codex > Weapons will tell you which weapons you have leveled up.

Codex is currently empty - I fill it with a crafted single use item and/or a sentry right?

Edited by Jyrm

42 slots, because it's a nice number.

There's no correct answer. If you want to make more weapons and have no free space and are not willing to sell anything you currently own then you don't have enough.

I like to hoard weapons so I tend not to sell them unless I own a direct upgrade (prime/wraith/vandel etc); As a result I have a lot of slots; but to honest the majority of them were just mastery fodder and are outclassed by other weapons I own so I doubt i'll ever actually use them again.

Codex is currently empty - I fill it with a crafted single use item and/or a sentry right?

one of the sentinels can scan for you, otherwise you have to do it manually which can be aggravating to do in-combat. 

Yes, you fill it with codex scanners, which you buy from the market.   While single use, I *think* you have to buy a stack of them at a time.  I have not messed with it much, it seemed like a useless credit drain to me for now (the info is all online). 

I have around 20-25 weapon slots and 10 frame slots, but I still need to sell stuff for plat to get more slots for more weapons as I want to keep some for other day.

my go to weapons are ;

-Primary

Amprex

Soma

Synapse

Sybaris

Dread

Burston ( p )

Boar ( p )

-Secondary

Akmagnus

Hikou ( p )