The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Warframe Seems To Have Memory Leak Since U15

Emener

Hey everyone, we have been working to address performance issues across U15 however I just have a couple of questions for anyone experiencing the issues mentioned in this thread.

Are you running the game in windowed or borderless windowed mode?

If so, can you please try running the game in fullscreen and see if that helps at all?

Additionally, I would recommend toggling vsync to see if that solves any of the issues as well.

Please feel free to reply to this thread with your results. It may be able to help us track down what is going wrong.

i was running borderless fullscreen, then i passes to window mode , same thing it helps a bit to run in windowed mode. in my case the memory usage resets when i start a mission, also when i do start my cpu is constant at 50% and the memory of the game is slowlly rising once it hits 314mb the game screen appear and the cpu starts to do more then 50% charge.(my pc must be one of the lowest in here lol) also i run game with most options off, i tried vsync but it does nothing in my case. one thing i noticed is fullscreen toggle in launcher doesn't work correctly.

Edited by RageDBlade

So just started playing again(i stopped after U15 release, very unplayable at that time).

It seems that the hotfixes did the job.

Archwing is fully playable.

Experienced 0 crashes so far with a few rare hitches.

No more memory leak. It was the same as before U15.

Played in both in windowed mode 1280x720 borderless fullscreen and windowed 1024x576(for increased fps).

DX9, Multi-threading is off.

My specs.

Core2Duo E7200 @2.53GHZ

Power Color AMD 4670 HD OC'd

3.25GB 333Mhz RAM

WinXP SP3 32-bit

After doing the Orokin catalyst alert mission I tried to join my dojo and it crashed WAR-349859. Also any attempt to start the Archwing quest I crash and it says Insufficient memory. It also crashes when I try to join my dojo, But I can pretty much do everything else. with good frame rate as well. Just joing Archwing quest and Dojo crashes me. Also sometimes when I try to log in it will crash and say Insufficent memory.....

[My specs are]

Windows XP 32-bit

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual

Core Processor 5200+

2.71 GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM

Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS

DirectX: 9.0c

[The minimum specs for Warframe are]

Intel Core 2 Duo e6400 or AMD

Athlon x64 4000+ (~2.2Ghz Dual

Core CPU) Memory: 2 GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT or ATI Radeon HD 3600

Hard Drive: 10 GB available space

So you see I am Higher than minimum requirements.

Never had issues before U15

After doing the Orokin catalyst alert mission I tried to join my dojo and it crashed WAR-349859. Also any attempt to start the Archwing quest I crash and it says Insufficient memory. It also crashes when I try to join my dojo, But I can pretty much do everything else. with good frame rate as well. Just joing Archwing quest and Dojo crashes me. Also sometimes when I try to log in it will crash and say Insufficent memory.....

[My specs are]

Windows XP 32-bit

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual

Core Processor 5200+

2.71 GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM

Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS

[The minimum specs for Warframe are]

Intel Core 2 Duo e6400 or AMD

Athlon x64 4000+ (~2.2Ghz Dual

Core CPU) Memory: 2 GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT or ATI Radeon HD 3600

Hard Drive: 10 GB available space

So you see I am Higher than minimum requirements.

Never had issues before U15

It does not matter what you use. As long as the software and hardware agree with one another. Yes specs will give you resources, but if the software doesn't agree with the hardware crashes happen.

See, you could get a software running and if not optimized to unload stuff the hardware will eventually not give resources to the software because there won't be any to give out, and the CPU can't continue to process, the game lags and eventually the Operating System initiates a fail safe mechanism to crash the software to ensure the system will run okay. Sometimes it can be RAM address disagreement, and you have no idea how many BSoDs I got from that particular problem.

CPU overheating will initiate the BIOS's mechanism to shut down the computer. If a glitch happens but is not crucial for the operation for the core of the game, it won't shut down. It WILL shut down if the driver is having problems, and some of the time it's software optimization.

Optimization is basically scripts that tell the software: Hey you shall use this much resources. See this chamber? if player entity is 10 meters away don't render it. When score board is done showing, unload ALL the things you used until now, and load this list again.

It's basically a set of commands that tell the software what to do. XML helps out on that regard, and even C++ itself can be optimized.

Planetside 2 for example goes like this: Okay this resource, I give you 200ms to figure out on that, if I do not get a result by then I shall continue without it. But you may still input the result.

This is basically how they fixed the random 700ms lag spikes that happen every few seconds, the system would just wait for results that can continue without, but won't continue until it received one. Although on practice this is coding 101. You always want to continue operation if the results you are waiting for are not super critical for the moment, I am surprised it took SoE alot longer than most moderate programmers

Edited by DarkBabylon

Level 40 ODD 6.9GB of ram GG

http://s27.postimg.org/dx8ry3c7n/ctrlaltdel.png -> After the server crash of over use on memory ( Got 8 GB Dual channel ripjaws 1600 mhz) Thats not normal anyways...

http://s9.postimg.org/fwvhi52mn/ctrlaltdelnew.png -> Thats after losing my all bonus exp and items, forcing me to restart warframe... 

Edited by Moted

So there was me hoping... everything looked great, memory was very low, just sitting at a comfy 1.1GB total. I could goof around the Liset a lot and finally was able to revert a few gameplay settings to my preference. Gameplay, not graphics.

It started to hiccup though. A few seconds of 100% CPU load, but it didn't crash, all went fine. Still worried me.

After a few further hiccups, the first yellow artefacts appeared on the screen again and I immediately exited the game.

So there was me hoping... everything looked great, memory was very low, just sitting at a comfy 1.1GB total. I could goof around the Liset a lot and finally was able to revert a few gameplay settings to my preference. Gameplay, not graphics.

It started to hiccup though. A few seconds of 100% CPU load, but it didn't crash, all went fine. Still worried me.

After a few further hiccups, the first yellow artefacts appeared on the screen again and I immediately exited the game.

Could you get a screenie of those yellow artifacts you speak of? 

It might be a GPU/driver related problem.

I've reported this quite a while ago already. Here is the topic; https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/330582-liset-yellow-overlay-of-death/

And browse through page 5 of this topic, I've posted a lot of tests there as well :)

Curious. I've been getting a similar problem, only mine seems to advance a lot more subtly, and in black.

EDIT:

I must mention that I have not had this specific problem in a few builds(happened last in like 15.0.4), but I have had it in the past. The progression is too slow for it to end up like that, I usually restart far before then.

Example:

28vy9uu.jpg

Notice the progression is awkward/strange rather than the "wiping out the world" thing:

k1rojo.jpg

Generally, it does get worse(more black things popping up across the screen), but I've never let (or been able to let it!) go on long enough for pure blackout.

Edited by Llyssa

Curious. I've been getting a similar problem, only mine seems to advance a lot more subtly, and in black.

I had black patches every now and then but they've never been on the forefront. I think at 15.0.4 I started to get black artefacts too in addition to the yellow, but they were few and far in between. But the "default" colour which was replacing entire textures has always been yellow for me.

Curious to know why it runs yellow with one and black with others. I guess it all comes down to some alpha channel rendering stuff with the PBR, depending on the graphics card, maybe.

In our lab we have an antique machine running XP with a 256MB graphics card

And I think this is exactly why you probably have less problems than some other users here.

If memory serves me correctly, WindowsXP is mirroring Vram into System RAM, so the less video memory the card has, the less issues with RAM there are going to be.

This would explain why some users with Geforce 9xxx cards on WinXP seem to have very little problems... because video memory was much less on those things. I actually consider to plug in a card myself that has only 512 MB Vram.

This beckons testing.

Edited by Khunvyel

Ok after playing a bit in patch 15, i found a mini solution to my reply here. I run constantly while playing more then an hour CTRL-ALT-DEL window where i can see my memory usage. So basically whenever I play more then 2-3 50wave defense (Specially with nekro) my RAM doesnt goes to initial 1gb 1.5gb it stays around 2gb. Which makes kind of a sense, But strangely it start growing and growing up to 3GB which is waaaay over then it should be. So something in game is leaking / not flashing right.

Playing it full screen / borderless / (WINDOWED omg what era are we in? :D) / Vsync always off ( I like my 130 fps+). No problem at all at max settings. It happens a lot with nekros, when he desecrate for 40-50 waves in ODD and we leave. So basic solution to this after 2-3 defense i restart warframe and my ram jumps back to 1GB

Edited by Moted

Windows keeps killing it with DEP for me because it jumps from 500,000 K to 2,000,000 K instantaneously, And also i can barely play the game, but it never crashes, And yet it keeps freezing for 30 seconds  and kicking my entire party SPECIFICALLY when loading the extraction tile. I only have 6 gigs of ram on a laptop. I can't ALT+TAB or the game crashes.

I was having a definite memory leak issue. I would log in, play a quick round or two and exit the game, then I would start getting low memory errors from windows. Performance monitor would show large amounts of my physical memory taken up by the modified section, and It would multiply every time I ran the game again. Last experiment with this I managed to get 10GB of memory eaten up, and it will stay that way until a restart. As several others in this chain have suggested, I unchecked DirectX 10 from the launcher settings, and now I have no problems at all, and I'm not really noticing much of a difference with the game, graphics-wise or performance-wise. Just tossing my experience into here! 

After the "server updates" I've been having similar crash issues regularly. Especially using VOIP.. of course I play with someone who shares the same IP as me, but I've never had so much lag and D/Cing since the past few days. The memory leak might explain it.

• 1 month later...

I had crash issues when I get to void missions lately and that's why I always shy away when my clan wants to do any void mission (good bye prime parts and argon crystals :'( ). Before, I played void missions perfectly, maybe a little lag but it makes me complete the mission otherwise. Yet I don't know what went wrong but I crash in void missions a lot lately. When playing any void game mode, everything sounds fine then after a minute or so, the stages makes a weird, scary, crashing sound; warframe freezes and directs me to chrome and opens a "hardware problems site". Yet first of all, I clean and maintain my rig (even though it's old) hardware and software every 3 months. I update drivers too, ram ain't the problem I guess. I'm running out of solutions even ticking the display options won't help.

Side note: No ram problems here, this screenie was taken after I crashed... btw it's 1-6 not 1-10.

CDORHfE.jpg

System (sorry it's old):
CPU: Intel core2duo E4500 2.20ghz (never overclocked)

RAM: 4gb, 3.5gb free

GPU: Nvidia GT430 2GB

EDIT: Crap my bad, I necroed >.<

Edited by thejax034