Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Burst Weapons Less Precise Than Full Auto

Vanadio

The Burston (but also Sicarus) being burst weapon should facilitate the user in landing headshots, let's say middleground between a full auto Braton and a Latron. But it's not the case, they are simply worse.

You can manually burst fire the Braton and get MUCH more consistent accuracy than with the Burston.

I do not understand the logic behind this design.

All the best.

Agreed, they could be so much better with slightly less recoil. Modding for firerate helps a bit but there should be less inherent barrel movement after the first shot than there is now. You do kind of learn to compensate by pulling down your aim during the burst, but it's still a bit puzzling why manually bursting with a full-auto weapon is plainly superior.

No, it's correct. Burst-fire guns in the game are slightly unbalanced - the burst mechanic, which basically lowers the DPM in favour of enhancing your trigger-press damage (which actually balances itself) has an additional downside of increased recoil, which means that every burst weapon comes with an inherit weakness by default without nothing to balance it out.

Edited by Panzermeido

Regrettable, the only way to achieve maximum accuracy with the Kraken and the burstron is to literally swing your weapon dowards every time you fire. The momentum is halted by the recoil, making the gun level at the point where you want your shots to land. It is tricky, but it works.

The problem is that there is currently quite a lack of different assault rifles in the game. So the most common one (Burston types) Have next to zero recoil, thus the larger recoil of the burston appears immense as a contrast. If the Grakata gets it's base damage buffed by two or so points, the recoil it has makes it my favourite by far.

The same applies for the pistols on the Kraken side. The only pistol other than the kraken to have a noticeable recoil is the Lex. The other auto fire pistols have next to nothing, the dual vipers included. Hence, they have no recoil to compare it with or get used to.

Furthermore, the burst fire guns have issues with reaching the maximum fire rate, as imperfect timing causes them to 'jam'. One way to solve this would be allowing an auto-burst fire mode by holding the button down instead of only manually clicking.

Do tell if I missed anything.

Edited by Felandi

That is:

1) increase drastically the recoil of full autos, ala quake 2 machine gun, do you remember? :)

2) reduce drastically the recoil of burst weapons.

I'm for the second option (buff the weak, don't nerf the strong), but I would enjoy even the opposite.

Edited by Vanadio

I dont have any problems with burst weapons, you just have to learn to control the recoil and you will always land the 2 kraken shots as headshots, same for sicarus and burston. Adapt and win guys =P

We are not tallking strictly about skill, but about weapon balance and design. You could make the Burston recoil laterally, I would adapt and I would use it with the same good results, but this doesn't mean that it is perfectly balanced/designed (or not improvable) and that its "burst" attribute is a strong point.

That is:

1) increase drastically the recoil of full autos, ala quake 2 machine gun, do you remember? :)

2) reduce drastically the recoil of burst weapons.

I'm for the second option (buff the weak, don't nerf the strong), but I would enjoy even the opposite.

3) Increase recoil of burst weapon significantly, but allow all bullets to be shot at perfect accuracy before the burst. So 3 bullets landing in the same place superfast, then the kick, for example

I've never liked any "auto-burst-fire" weapon in any game I've played. It really serves no purpose except to condescend weaker players. Worse off, the Burston projectiles travel pathetically slow, to the point your second round of bursts could fire even if the first round will (and is about to) kill the target. The projectiles need to be nigh instant; why is a weapon that is intended to improve accuracy firing bullets that are more likely to miss a moving target?

The only 'accurate burst fire' design I can think of that I would consider would be one that has zero recoil & staggers the enemy when landing all shots in that burst.

Edited by Qb3rt

I use the Furis and see no reason why I would want to downgrade to a burst-fire pistol. When zoomed in, the Furis is practically an assault rifle. Manual single shot or burst fire is possible, in addition to a reliable full auto spray, if necessary. 

Is there long distance damage dropoff and round dispersion for handguns? Or any guns? I haven't noticed if there is. Might help make burst fire more relevant and useful at longer range if full auto weapons lose efficacy faster after whatever shorter distance.

I've never liked any "auto-burst-fire" weapon in any game I've played. It really serves no purpose except to condescend weaker players. Worse off, the Burston projectiles travel pathetically slow, to the point your second round of bursts could fire even if the first round will (and is about to) kill the target. The projectiles need to be nigh instant; why is a weapon that is intended to improve accuracy firing bullets that are more likely to miss a moving target?

The only 'accurate burst fire' design I can think of that I would consider would be one that has zero recoil & staggers the enemy when landing all shots in that burst.

Are you sure? IIRC the burston is a hitscan weapon.