Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Odd Changes (Lazy Game Design 101)

Heaven_Smile

So, for some reason there were changes made to the Orokin Derelict Defense map. Now while I welcome balancing changes should they prove a real challenge, what am disappointed in is changes NOT made to the map layout. Let me explain.

You know the giant square pillars on the map? THESE ones:

IkhrRoY.png

Yeah, that thing. Why for the love of Lotus is there a Physics Push barrier on that now? Sure, you can camp up there and can't be hurt, but the Cryopod is still left undefended. Even if you were to argue that you just don't want players up there, that's understandable, but then remodel the pillar. Don't use this lazy Physics Push Invisible Barrier BS. And ironically, the Phys Push only sends you higher if you use directional mid-air melee on it. Like so:

4GxKi1g.jpg

Which, if your job was to keep players from staying up there, backfired:

oEsfnoO.jpg

We only got further up the wall than before. So my advice is that if you are going to re-balance a map to keep it from being "exploited" (ironically in a game about being a super awesome parkour space ninja), then remodel it, don't be lazy.

Second, we can't run up the lamp posts anymore to stand on them. But oh wait, we can just directional mid-air melee ourselves up there like so:

7KnsBPa.jpg

While there IS salt in this post, I don't care about the map changes being made for balancing. I'm salty because it was done in the laziest fashion possible. Please DE, fix your stuff properly. This is just sloppy.

PS- I will say the new AI Paths are great and add a challenge to the map now. Good job on that though! :D

I think DE is at the point now where they're going to take as many shortcuts as they can, however lazy, however sloppy they may be. For example, adding radiation damage to everything for a while, Sleight of Hand makes everything Radial Blind, Super Jump uses Smoke Bomb, and more than half of the new Augment mods use features from already-existing powers.

I do agree though, trying to remove an exploit by slightly changing the hitbox of a map is lazy. It's beyond lazy. It shows that the devs realize there's a problem, and need to act on it to prevent broken gameplay, ex. team of Vaubans with Ogris, yet are only willing to do the minimum amount of work needed to fix the problem. Which, as you've shown, is easily fought by finding yet more exploits.

I hope the hitbox change is a temporary bandaid until they can get their modellers to remake the pillars and lamp posts.

Note: for the players who argue that content doesn't get testing, because we are the testers, that's embarrassing. DE makes money off this game. To puke out content under the mindset "oh the community will tell us if we need to make any changes, we'll only make an effort if we're told we need to" is the laziest course of development.