The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question: Is A Macro Cheating?

securitywyrm

People compete in PvE games by getting the highest end results or by moronic moral victory of being the fastest to the evac point.

Especially when people are trying hard to keep up.

It makes them feel superior to the 'lesser' slower players.

This results in someone using run>slide>melee or run >slide>jump>melee in a macro.

ah so it's competition, now I see

thanks, I'm looking at this from a whole different point of view now

You can't deliver 10 click per second <-- Akbolto ROF. Clever or not...

Binding fire to mouse down and activating free scroll disagrees with you, I can hit current max fire-rate of akbolto and shoot the Grakata at the same speed as normal full auto like that. 

Clever use of key bindings > Macros

ah so it's competition, now I see

thanks, I'm looking at this from a whole different point of view now

People will use anything to get the upper hand over these little things for personal victory.

You might notice a certain player always dashing out of nowhere to open loot boxes just before you do.

Another player feels they always need to run>slide>melee and press the elevator button just before you do.

A chatty friendly player who says I do not care about stats yet always uses banshee with the largest AoE out there to kills mobs and all of a sudden becomes quiet when another higher level player using a banshee comes along and does the same thing.

At the end of the game the first guy doesn't want to stick around any more due to the competition and leaves just in case he gets beaten in the end results.

Is this petty.

Yes.

But people have something called and ego and it needs to be stroked.

Some people on the internet call it an e-peen.

Well basically it is considered cheating by DE. If it can't be done by normal game mechanic means it will be considered cheating as it gives some players clear advantages over the other players. What is the reality and to whom this really applies I have no idea. As long as it doesn't break the games mechanics I don't think there is any problems but if it does. Then you should try to consider trying to solve that problem one way or another.

DE_Steve, on 24 Apr 2013 - 5:36 PM, said:snapback.png

This stuff isn't on the list currently. We intend to address these at a lower level.

Namacyst, on 24 Apr 2013 - 5:43 PM, said:snapback.png

With address you mean put it on the banlist or come up with ingame solutions like a Auto-Fire option or keybind? I use(d) Autoclicker now and then but i won't risk a ban for trying to utilize the full fire rate the game mechanics offer but are impossible to do so when trying manually.

DE_Steve, on 24 Apr 2013 - 5:48 PM, said:snapback.png

Some of this is exploitable. We aren't going to ban macros and this sort of thing - some people with disabilities need to use these and that is fine. We will be making sure that even with these on the firerate is 'sane' is all.

Edited by __YaTaGan__

Just because you have some kind of disability doesn't mean you should be allowed to fire your Akboltos as fast as a viper.

If you're doing macros to emulate stuff that can done by a normal human being, so you don't put unnecessary stress on your finger or whatever, that's perfectly fine.

If you reach a level of performance that's not achievable otherwise, that's an exploit.

I see you are still the same

Post hoc ergo propter hoc? It doesn't directly mean it is legit here. ;)

It's a typical example of a wrong logic deduction. It actually says "since B happen after A, then B is caused by A". As you see this is not always true.

So the sentence is used when you want simply say "your logic is wrong". In this case the fact that WoW permits whatever it permits has absolutely NO RELATION to whatever an other game permits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc <-- wikipedia explains it

If a non-automatic weapon has a fire rate that is higher then what a most people can physically click, then there is an opportunity for macro-users to get an advantage.

Two possible simple solutions that don't require any rules or enforcing:

1. Don't have fire rates that high on non-automatic weapons. Seems a bit silly anyway to have a fire rate that high. You don't utilise it, so basically you're 'wasting' stats by not using the full dps capability of your weapon.

2. Give all players the opportunity to make use of this by either adding an auto click fire button option to the key bindings, or remove the control part of the distinction between automatic and non-automatic weapons altogether (holding the fire-button will discharge the weapon at it's maximum fire rate). I don't really see this as a loss to the game. It doesn't change anything functionally, only control wise. The functionally the distinction between automatic and non-automatic is preserved in the value of the fire-rate itself.

For me option 2 would solve another problem: this is the first game I've played in years that made my left index finger sore after playing. The main reason for this is the necessity to use the pistol so often and sometimes for long periods of time, and thus having to click as fast as possible for such a large portion of the game. I never liked button bashing competitions, and I hope this will be addressed.

Bind fire to mouse wheel up/down; 10 clicks/second = easy.

This trick is at least as old as Half Life 1, possibly even older, I don't know why more people haven't figured it out yet >.>

I'm surprised game developers haven't disabled the ability to bind the scroll wheel to the fire option.

Yeah, I use a AutoHotKey script for melee attacks, especially since some melee weapons are so fast. I'd like to know if that's considered cheating, since all it does it push the E key for me rather than having to scroll down on my mouse wheel.

Yeah, I just tested a macro that does melee attacks every 100 milliseconds and shoots every 50 milliseconds (for non-automatic pistols). Do you guys think it's bannable? It looks completely normal and you won't notice the difference between someone using it or someone rapidly clicking the buttons.

Edited by Infrared

Well, actually if it's used to gain advantages, it is cheating. But if you can achieve the maximum rate of fire with or without the macro, I don't think it's cheating.

Edited by Infrared

Macros that make semi-autos into full-auto would be considered cheating in any multiplayer-pvp game. Just like the asshats in BF3 that run them with the an94. That said, this is just pve so who really cares. In Dueling when it ever comes? well, people still might not care, because it's dueling.

You may want to consider what a macro actually does. The macro in question is simply "Clicks the mouse button as fast as possible." That's it. It's not enabling you to fire the gun faster than someone who is good with their timing clicking the mouse button.

If you have snipetron that can fire once a second, and you use a macro, your fire rate will be... 1/second.

I've seen folks talk about "Firing akbolto as fast as a viper." That shows they don't know what this is.

And as for "Third party software", your mouse drivers are third party software. Does that mean you're cheating?

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, I got an "official not official" response form Warframe Support:

Question:

"What's the official statement about the use of macros with external software?
Are macros permitted? Is autoclick permitted? Which is the maximum rate of autoclick permitted, if any?"

Answer:
"Hey Vanadio!

While we do not have an "official" policy on macros (which means this is subject to change). Macros are fine so long as it replaces what you could do as a human, no superhuman 1000 clicks a second stuff.

Keep an eye on the forums for updates and announcements on this subject!"

So now it is basically a question of what is "possible as human"... ;)

Akbolto now fire as Twin Vipers. GG.