Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Knockdowns Are Really Bad Way To Increase The Game Difficulty

Sikkis

At the moment the only element in the game that tends to kill me outright are the knockdowns and the fact that your warframe gets up as fast as an drunken middle-aged man.

Even though some of the knockdowns are easy to dodge. Sometimes you just cannot avoid them. For example when running around a corner just to find a gringeer ambush with commander punching in the ground, you are dead in matter of seconds.

Also knockdowns seem way too common in this game and they do start to annoy me greatly.

I honestly don't see any reason why your warframe couldn't get up as fast as an ninja if you just get damaged in your shields and don't take any real damage. 

I sincerely hope that the devs find some other way to make the game harder than just relying on those freaking knockdowns. 

My only gripe with knockdowns are when you turn a corner and go flying 50 feet because you didn't see three moas charging their stomp, followed by an army emptying bullets into your body.

Maybe make a "recovery" move, like a ninja flip by tapping shift while you're being knocked back. It'd get you back into the fight faster and the flow of combat won't be broken.

Knockdowns are frustrating because they last so long and do not pose significant risk on their own. A shockwave shouldn't incapacitate a space ninja for such a huge amount of time. All of the landing and rising animations should be sped up, and as compensation, the shockwave should do a lot more damage.

Knockdowns are frustrating because they last so long and do not pose significant risk on their own. A shockwave shouldn't incapacitate a space ninja for such a huge amount of time. All of the landing and rising animations should be sped up, and as compensation, the shockwave should do a lot more damage.

I could live with that. Mostly the diff should be rised by things that you can avoid.

My only gripe with knockdowns are when you turn a corner and go flying 50 feet because you didn't see three moas charging their stomp, followed by an army emptying bullets into your body.

Maybe make a "recovery" move, like a ninja flip by tapping shift while you're being knocked back. It'd get you back into the fight faster and the flow of combat won't be broken.

Kind of like a Ukemi in fighting games, ie Soul Calibur?

Could probably even use a similar method; tap jump or block just as you hit the ground. Enough time to react, but still a missable opportunity?

This is dumb.

Basically the complaint is "I'm rushing through the level sprinting everywhere and the only thing that even comes close to ever killing me is when i rush around a corner that has a bunch of guys one of which (rarely) has a knockdown ready and waiting to go and hits me with it while him and the rest of his friends proceed to beat on me".

Knockdowns are fine. It's not "a bad way" to increase game difficult, its actually a good way outside of just straight pumping up enemy damage and health, because it adds another element to the gameplay. Now you can't just rush around every single corner on every single mission and always be fine, now you can't just run and charge attack every enemy because some of them will punish you for sloppy play.

In short, you are actually 100% wrong. Knockdowns are a great way to make the game more difficult, because they add another factor that needs to be considered when making tactical decisions. Stop trying to speedy gonzales through every level and maybe it won't be that big of an issue for you.

I wouldn't really care that much if jumping wasn't as delayed as it is currently...

Or even worked most of the time. I find that my feet are clipped into the ground and I can't even jump at times.

This. Foofy, we want more difficulty, not less. However, the best way to increase difficulty and still keep the game interesting would be to remove cheap mechanics that punish the player for not being able to jump in time because his avatar is a turtle.

Ok, I lost my 4 revives BECAUSE of the knockdowns while playing alone... Close to the end of the session, got to get in a tunnel style corridor under a stair... Got knockdown (enemy knockdown ready on the corner with no way to dodge in the corridor of my digital personna wideness), while 3 more gets there in front and the back and got turned to a flipper without the possibility to got in any direction... sorry, that's not really fun...ever.

P.S. Not in the thread but does anyone know why do I keep "teleporting" in the heat of the battle when I just got cleared a place of ennemies??? Was spanning around the map like a moron and couldn't understand where I was going after awhile...

Most games in their early stages implement stun locking wrong (both against mobs and players).

There should be a diminishing return formula to how long you are disabled. First time they knock you on ground, you sit around for a second or two. The second time, maybe half a second. Third, fourth, etc. you are immune. Finding the right formula is the key however.

Grineer Rollers, and Shockwave moas in 5+ groups are absolutely devastating because when one gets you, you may as well be dead, and no: "play more carefully/better" is no excuse. This isn't god mode difficulty (aka BS mode). All great games allow room for error, not the 1 mistake you are dead mentality (which gameplay wise, feels like the bad dice roll RNG, you are dead mentality, which no one loves).

Poor controls and cheap, frequent incapacitation are not good design.  Period.  Even notoriously 'hard' games don't take that route to artificially increase difficulty.

Knockdowns don't necessarily need to be removed, but the recovery time needs work.  I like the suggestion of a timed quick recovery.  Maybe a jumping radial slash or something.

Stuns, Knockdowns and staggers are fine.

Offers variety to combart and an additional reason to watch your backside. 

Ideally, this would be the kind of situation where you get knocked down...

and some enemy is about to do a big scary attack on you while youre vulnerable so you have to activate your quick get up or tech role mechanic to avoid taking heavy damage.

Good stuff.

Stunlock on the other hand-where being knocked down can potentially result in being bounced around for a prolonged time with no player ability to break the streak..is bad. terrible and cheap.

An action game should keep the control in the players hands. If you take it away for a split second to punish a player for a mistake thats fine.

But to have a system where the player could have to wait a few seconds without control is counter intuative to keeping the player involved.

Smart tactics, practiced reflexes and good timing should be the answer to avoiding problems.

Should you make a mistake anyway, the game should put the ball back in your court and ask you for smart tactics, practiced reflexes and good timing again but with more dire circumstances for failure.

Making a msitake should never result in spectator mode while your character flails around. Thats just lame.

Word.

There should be a way to get up quickly after being knocked down. Maybe if we press a certain button as we're tackled our Tenno can do a roll or something, I dunno. Getting knocked down multiple times and watching yourself get up is extremely frustrating when there's a horde around you.

I agree, it would be much better if enemies did more damage instead of having so many knockdowns. When you get hit with 3 Disruptors at the same time you are pretty much screwed as it is right now, because you'll not even be able to get off the ground. 

I think the knockback/down mechanic is fine how it is, but the fact that there's no way to mitigate or avoid it with skill is a problem.  You're supposed to be able to jump over shockwaves, but I can never do it because jumping isn't responsive enough.  If there was a recovery move, as mentioned, for landing on your feet and recovering in say, 1/4 the time, that would be far better.