The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Newest Grineer Tiles Are A Step In The Wrong Direction

ZAPTONE

One of my favorite things about this game is the fast and furious nature of it,  I feel that the newest mining base tiles are a step in the wrong direction.  They take way too long to get through and are often void of enemies and have very few lockers or crates in them.  For the most part they are just time wasting travel rooms.

The game was to short. Now its to long. Warframe changes everyday/week/month. They have a new game that gets tweaked all the time. The next tile set will probobly balance it all out and be perfect. I got lost loads on the new tile sets but i also enjoyed looking around and seeing where i could wall jump to and stuff. I would rather longer maps than farm fest quick maps.

They're over-sized and over-empty.  

The real problem is video game gigantism.  For various reasons, lots of video games make their levels gigantic, as if designed for 100 foot behemoths, yet the enemies there are human sized.  It just makes it feel empty and lifeless.  SWTOR (Star Wars MMO) suffers badly from this.  Try playing SWTOR for awhile, then switch to Guild Wars 2 (which pleasantly does away with gigantism).  The Guild Wars 2 world feels real and full of life.  SWTOR feels empty and lifeless.

Then there's the clever design where the arrow points the opposite direction you need to go.  Your whole team runs down a massive empty hallway toward the arrow til it dead ends.  Then simultaneously everyone realizes they get to run back down the hallway to take the staircase up, so they can run down the same huge empty hallway yet again.

Just did an alert mission on the Grineer tile set.  The host gets sick of the maze, leaves, and after the host migration the number of enemies to exterminate gets reset.

Didn't feel like wandering around more mazes in the dark, so I left too.  I hope the last guy left has fun solo.

Just did an alert mission on the Grineer tile set.  The host gets sick of the maze, leaves, and after the host migration the number of enemies to exterminate gets reset.

Didn't feel like wandering around more mazes in the dark, so I left too.  I hope the last guy left has fun solo.

I think this just emphasis the fact DE needs to fix the map markers....

The new map tiles wouldn't be so bad if they were a bit easier to shortcut through.

Take the big vertical "cylinder" map. It has an elevator up at the center level(which always starts in the "up" position), and a ramp near the center that leads to the bottom level. All the walkways are surrounded with that curved "wire" wall that makes it hard to get over. You still can, if you're careful and/or tricky, but it's basically impossible to climb up, and getting down is an exercise in hoping your Warframe doesn't fall into a pit down below when they backflip onto the "wire wall", tuck into a roll, and uncontrollably go flying into the abyss.

Strip off a few chunks of the "wall", and replace that with walls you can run up. Now Tenno can easily get down just by dropping to lower levels, and can use wall-run to climb without having to run large loops looking for that elevator(which I am growing tired of waypointing in the hopes that other players will realize how to get to the top level without me physically showing them the way).

Same deal for the staircase vertical room, which involves running loops on stairs until you reach the entryway the game is indicating. Design some way for players to ninja their way up and it'll become much less of a bother to navigate.

Thank you.

The layouts are sprawling and detailed, which would be nice, except they're a nightmare to navigate.

There's TONS of running back and forth trying to figure out where the staircase to the next story is, and the actual path involves lots of doubling back and circling around the edges of a cylindrical or rectangular room. Which is NOT a welcome break from the relatively straightforward corridors of yore.

Unlike many previous maps, the wall heights and surface positions foil most attempts at wallrunning shortcuts (especially at default sprint speed), and it's far too easy to accidentally overshoot a jump, or simply auto-roll right off the many narrow walkways - and unlike previous tilesets, you actually land on ground, so you have to walk all the way back up if you mess up. You're basically punished for using the diverse movement methods this game is supposed to be proud of.

TLDR:

The new tilesets force you to run in circles, and punish you for jumping and wallrunning in an attempt to avoid it, in a game that's supposed to emphasize acrobatics and freedom of movement.

The waypoints are also really confusing and unhelpful when there's multiple levels and few methods of traveling between them, and many players will just run past the elevator in that one room because the waypoint appears to be telling you to go forward, then up.

Edited by Caiman

I think two simple things could solve a lot of navigation issues in this game:

1) Map markers with elevation indicators. Why this isn't a thing, I don't know, because people have been complaining about it since the closed beta started.

2) The Grineer remember that electricity is invented and that installing lights on your station means your dudes can see what's going on. Some areas, especially the new ones, are pitch black so you can't see where you're going, what's shooting you and which part is dark abyss and which is the tiny bit of walkway you can use.

They can always tweak the already existing tiles. Maybe it's just me but I think in the spacship tile they removed a wall in the 'locker room' so you don't have to go around the lockers, you can go straight where you want. So I think they analize the maps and tweek bits which make them more logical/reachable/comfortable. Yeah the new grineer tile need improvement, but I like it.

I think two simple things could solve a lot of navigation issues in this game:

1) Map markers with elevation indicators. Why this isn't a thing, I don't know, because people have been complaining about it since the closed beta started.

2) The Grineer remember that electricity is invented and that installing lights on your station means your dudes can see what's going on. Some areas, especially the new ones, are pitch black so you can't see where you're going, what's shooting you and which part is dark abyss and which is the tiny bit of walkway you can use.

1) THEY PUT IN ELEVATION MARKERS ALREADY. even for enemies and loot crates. the problem isnt that we dont have elevation markers. the problem is the markers themselves are still absolute crap on the new tilesets. Or worse, they activate the big new tile from like 5 tiles away. Like I just did a sargas ruk run solo, took me 40 minutes to find the exit because the marker pointed into nowhere high up so between the huge new tilesets, and the huge number of exits, I had to bump my way through every single exit on each tile to find the correct exit. I KNOW all the tiles, i can navigate the tiles, but when I cant tell which exit from the tile im IN and the map marker is pointing to the exit of a tile 5 tiles away.. that I cant handle.