Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Solving The Problem.

BramBlackmon

All this glaive fiasco has really done, if we can be honest with ourselves, is bring to light a lot of hidden resentment towards the alert system. the vast majority of the items you could obtain prior to this, nobody really gave a damn about aside from people who are hyper focused on mastery rank. and usually a lot of people miss the ones they really want. But the system itself is too heavily defended by people who prefer luck over effort, so we can't really change it without upsetting a portion of the populace.

What we can do however, is put a system in place that while mostly reliant on luck, does eventually reward perseverance in the long run. 

Use any of the three ideals your marketing team thinks would do the least amount of damage to your revenue. Or use none of them, I can't force you.

1. have alerts generate a currency separate to that of both credits and platinum. You can only earn a limited amount of this currency in a day ((anything more than 10 is way too much, anything less than 5 and you just wasted your day programming a feature no one cares about)) and you can use it to buy a limited selection of the items that have the potential to drop from a ? alert ((this is my personal favorite for a lot of reasons. not least of which is the fact that the Dev team has a good degree of control over what people can purchase. Which means it doesn't interfere with the items they make the most profit off of))

2. introduce plat in small quantities to the potential rewards that drop from ? alerts.this still maintains a high degree of random luck. though it would also potentially cut into profits, people who no lifed could easily amass enough plat to play for free. not the ideal solution, but better than the current one by far.

3. A mixture of one and two. have every alert give out 1 platinum, and limit the amount of platinum that a person can acquire ((wouldn't go higher than 5 a day with this, otherwise you're going to majorly cut into your profits over the long run)) now every person can theoretically get every single item in the game without having to be a slave to the RNG, and without having to shell out money. And if you don't go higher than 5 the damage would be minimal. If someone logged in every day of the week and did their daily 5 alerts, it would take them two weeks to earn 70 plat. and if the thought of giving away almost 5 dollars of plat every two weeks is a better pill to swallow, you could set a weekly limit in addition to the daily limit. ((something in the 15 to 25 range)) 

This would encourage players to log on regularly even in times when content updates are sparse. Which could be seen as beneficially because you're making the playerbase develop a habit towards playing your game. It could also potentially spur the purchase of smaller amounts of platinum amongst the poorer members of the playerbase to round out their earnings quicker. 

Now cue the onslaught of posts decrying this ideal as game destroying and developer robbing.

All this for the Glaive? just let it go.......They are not going to hand out free platinum. 

Seriously, stop trying to change their business model. 

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. I don't care in the least bit about the glaive. Don't really care about the BP alerts either. I have all the stuff I could ever need and if I really want something without having to work for it, I'll just upgrade my founders package.  

But, I'm a very egocentric person by nature. I don't really care if my opinions are given any merit. I just love putting them out there for the sake of getting to talk. 

Though, removing options 2 and 3 from the equation, which are mostly there to make option number one more appealing and to round out the list ((people love easily digestible lists)) what would be damaging about introducing and tweaking a system similar to number 1? It's not in the least bit uncommon in F2P games. They don't have to add anything they feel would seriously wreck their profit margin. And it gets that monkey off their back next time they try to introduce an item such as the glaive into the game, it really seems like they will. Letting your playerbase smack talk you is not smart for business. You either have to silence people or preemptively anticipate their possible complaints and take away their momentum before they get worked up.

I'm surprised this was met with such negative views, I think the first solution gives people choices (people love choices despite the fact that choices don't typically make us happier) and eliminates worthless alerts.  I think the cap may need tweaking depending on the cost of items.

As far as how I can analyze the entire situation with the glaive, it is also quite apparent if this had been done with a different and more ambigious weapon, like a new <insert shiny handgun here>.

What I am getting at, is that this reaction happened because of the iconic status of the weapon implemented. Since it is so ridicilously attractive to the players, of course everyone wants a reasonable chance to make it.

Allow me to illustrate, if the glaive had a blueprint for 200.000 credits, 1000 alloy plate, 1000 rubedo and 10 neurodes as crafting cost, with 50.000 credits of start crafting. I would STILL grind money together the first I could, then craft it without a single complaint. That is how interesting and nostalgic the weapon the developers have introduced.

On top of this desire, the fact that the platinum-alert nature of the weapon was a suprise to most people, as no info of this had been released in advance to soften the 'blow', so to speak.

I am not really that upset over the current state, as i'll gladly wait for a chance to get this iconic piece of equipment for free, versus spending ten euro I do not have in this end-of-the-month scenario.

The positive note is this: The weapon is so awesome that everyone wants it. That, is what we call amazing design. Congratulation, developers. This is exactly why I am brushing up my digital painting and 3D modelling portfolio to with some warframe goodies, to try and apply to the studio.

Now, I am off to think of fan-solutions to the HEK situation that still prevents sniping and create a comprehensive analysis of puncture mods and how to make them worth the mod cost. <3

Here is a private project with some nostalgia as thanks for reading my wall of text. ;)

in_progress__sword_of_omens_by_felandi-d

Edited by Felandi

That is damn impressive handiwork. I'm slightly curious if that's just a personal vanity project, or if you actually plan on doing anything with the finished model.

Personal project, I have yet to fully texture and rendered the model, but it is quite finished as you can see. I have been working with 3D modelling, digital painting, zbrush and all the other tools involved in graphics for about nine years now. I have a file with a half-finished Master Sword somewhere too.

Since you were so nice about it, have some Super Metroid memories.

Zbrush_Crocomire_by_Felandi.jpg

Personal project, I have yet to fully texture and rendered the model, but it is quite finished as you can see. I have been working with 3D modelling, digital painting, zbrush and all the other tools involved in graphics for about nine years now. I have a file with a half-finished Master Sword somewhere too.

Since you were so nice about it, have some Super Metroid memories.

Zbrush_Crocomire_by_Felandi.jpg

That's pretty friggin adorable. But I'm only saying that because I've never played super metroid. Still very good handiwork. I've been trying to learn the ins and outs of Blender and Nifskope for the past few months, But It's a bit hard to find tutorials that cover the area in between the basics and Making fully rendered models. you definitely seem like you could teach people a thing or two, if you ever decided to go that route with your skills.

Teaching is certainly something I have done for friends in the past, the only problem is finding a job and being recieving some compensation for doing it.

The job market can be a cruel place for a twenty-year old in the current economical atmosphere, especially one without contacts. Ability and hard work alone are not always enough to break free.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, by the way. *grin*

Edited by Felandi

Very nice sword, love it!

Thank you for the praise. Judging by the fact you called it a nice sword, I might direct you to a google search under 'Thundercats', from where it originates.

As for not being able recognize references, how about some Dark Souls fan-art?

humanity_by_felandi-d5w6ejm.jpg

Teaching is certainly something I have done for friends in the past, the only problem is finding a job and being recieving some compensation for doing it.

The job market can be a cruel place for a twenty-year old in the current economical atmosphere, especially one without contacts. Ability and hard work alone are not always enough to break free.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, by the way. *grin*

Hijack away. This is a much more rewarding topic of conversation. You just had the misfortune of attaching it to my hate thread. By all means. Self promote. 

Hijack away. This is a much more rewarding topic of conversation. You just had the misfortune of attaching it to my hate thread. By all means. Self promote. 

This is what we call the beauty of the General Discussion forum.

I heard of it but never seen it. Its totally unknown for my generation sadly.

Never thought I would feel old at an age of 24, heh. Shows what I know.

Oh, what the heck. Have one more picture for posterity. The following image is 100% computer generated. Modelled, rendered and textured in Luxology Modo, with a bit of colour correction in photoshop. Why am I telling you this? My family members asked me why I was showing them a photo of a zippo lighter.

zippo_by_felandi-d1ja2a7.jpg

Edited by Felandi

In hindsight, I should probably have created a fan forum thread instead of derailing a general forum thread in my exuberance over kind praise, even if the discussion was a sensitive subject.

Sorry for the hassle Tenno, I will see you in the game and over the forum these coming weeks!

In hindsight, I should probably have created a fan forum thread instead of derailing a general forum thread in my exuberance over kind praise, even if the discussion was a sensitive subject.

Sorry for the hassle Tenno, I will see you in the game and over the forum these coming weeks!

No worries, you probably defused another argument anyways.

Never thought I would feel old at an age of 24, heh. Shows what I know.

Oh, what the heck. Have one more picture for posterity. The following image is 100% computer generated. Modelled, rendered and textured in Luxology Modo, with a bit of colour correction in photoshop. Why am I telling you this? My family members asked me why I was showing them a photo of a zippo lighter.

zippo_by_felandi-d1ja2a7.jpg

I am making a post here just to say that this rendered me speechless.

And I didn't even intend to make that pun.