The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Game Taking Up Way Too Much Ram (As Of Recent)

Iihcap

I couldn't help but notice prior to this content update that Warframe now takes up an unusual amount of memory.

I have about 6 GB, and by standard warframe would put me to 68-72% usage, 75% at most in missions. Now since this update, I get about 77 to near 80% Usage in my Liset, up to about 85% at most in missions. And in Hubs? A staggering 94-96% usage (Though I think thats cause there might be a memory leak.) In fact I already had a driver crash in a mission earlier today.

I'm not quite sure how to make a comparison of something like this, but it's certainly something I've began to notice.

EDIT: Turns out this process usage amounts are linked to the 64-bit version of the game. 32-bit gives me weird stutters, but rarely goes above 80% usage, even in Hubs.

Edited by Iihcap

Uh, where are you getting these numbers?  You should be looking at Warframe.64.exe in the "Processes" list to see the actual amount of memory thast Warframe is using, not a combined total of everything else on your computer.

I didn't think it was worth mentioning, but Warframe by itself takes up about 2.7m to 3m Kb in usage.

When the game is closed (From the 80% usage I get on liset) my overall usage drops to 32%

Let me elaborate further, since I have the statistics from the Hubs (Which by the way got a bugged trader, fyi)

This was when I first started up warframe, currently in the Liset at 74% Memory usage: http://i.imgur.com/eO7Y9Xe.png

This was when I entered the pluto hub, one of the lesser filled hubs to avoid getting whammied instantly. It raised to about 85% in a few seconds: http://i.imgur.com/HRHgH9T.png

Fifteen minutes later, 92% Usage. Spiked at one point to 97% but lowered back down to 90% after: http://i.imgur.com/XJCtRXa.png

Finally the crowning moment, waiting for the trader to arrive and never receiving it. Sitting around at 93-95% usage: http://i.imgur.com/dqeHqVF.png http://i.imgur.com/yfcHl3w.png

Dissapointed by the no-show trader, I left. The game froze on me, cause apparently it couldn't trim out all that data I swelled up so I had to end the process manually while my PC was freezing up. Even after it closed the footprint it left left me stuttering for a few more minutes.

Once closed, I was at 27% Usage: http://i.imgur.com/0oYQ4dP.png

27% usage of 6GB of physical memory would be 1.62GB, that's with WF closed so let's assume that's a baseline.  So let's assume 4.38GB in ready availability (i.e. not pushing into superfetch space).

Your screenshots show, at the most, 2.4GB used by Warframe, which would add 40%, adding up to 67%.

... and even if we go outside of the percentages, just looking at the raw numbers, it's obvious that there's something other than Warframe.64.exe.  So find out what else is using up so much RAM.  Does it show up in the processes list?  You can click the headers to sort by the columns.

27% usage of 6GB of physical memory would be 1.62GB, that's with WF closed so let's assume that's a baseline.  So let's assume 4.38GB in ready availability (i.e. not pushing into superfetch space).

Your screenshots show, at the most, 2.4GB used by Warframe, which would add 40%, adding up to 67%.

... and even if we go outside of the percentages, just looking at the raw numbers, it's obvious that there's something other than Warframe.64.exe.  So find out what else is using up so much RAM.  Does it show up in the processes list?  You can click the headers to sort by the columns.

The only other big contender for memory usage is Firefox, but the 27% is achieved when I close the game /while/ firefox is open.

Run the game windowed (if needed) so you can keep track of things and see what else is using a lot of RAM.

I have been. Only way I figured this out.

Warframe is top contender at (Currently because 32-bit version of the game takes up less) 1,889,172 K followed by Firefox, which uses 435,900K. Closing firefox hardly makes a dent in the usage. More so it seems traveling back to my Liset after visiting a mission or hub causes memory usage to not purge entirely all the time. It keeps just...swelling.

Also keep in mind we still have the memory leak. This causes WF to use up more and more memory the longer you play.

Basically this.

But what else?

That only accounts for ~2,31Gb out of 6GB, which is about 39% of your memory usage.

In all the numbers you've shown, Warframe barely passes 40% memory usage.

Warframe and Firefox are not the only things running. There must be other things adding up.  Have you clicked "show processes from all users"?  have you added up all the other processes when you have 90%+ memory usage?

But what else?

That only accounts for ~2,31Gb out of 6GB, which is about 39% of your memory usage.

In all the numbers you've shown, Warframe barely passes 40% memory usage.

Warframe and Firefox are not the only things running. There must be other things adding up.  Have you clicked "show processes from all users"?  have you added up all the other processes when you have 90%+ memory usage?

I have a feeling we are both missing numbers here. In order of memory used (When warframe is up) Its Warframe, followed by firefox, then steam, then csrss/dwm/explorer, and a bunch of minor functions like svchost and the like, which take up only atleast 1-10K each. Merely starting up warframe moves me to 55-60% usage at the login screen. So it might be putting out more than thought.

I have a feeling we are both missing numbers here. In order of memory used (When warframe is up) Its Warframe, followed by firefox, then steam, then csrss/dwm/explorer, and a bunch of minor functions like svchost and the like, which take up only atleast 1-10K each. Merely starting up warframe moves me to 55-60% usage at the login screen. So it might be putting out more than thought.

The actual number will be displayed in the processes tab.

The percentage number in the performance tab is the total of everything else.

If Warframe is using up to 2.4GB (which is a lot, don't get me wrong!), that's only about 40%, and the rest has to be used by other things.

• 1 month later...

I understand the feeling with this whole situation, whenever i play this game it always get up to 90 to 100 percent of my physical memory and its the only thing running, if it is due to memory leak, is there any way to solve this as i already have it windowed and it still does this.

Look at the numbers in the Processes tab to see what's doing it.

I understand the feeling with this whole situation, whenever i play this game it always get up to 90 to 100 percent of my physical memory and its the only thing running, if it is due to memory leak, is there any way to solve this as i already have it windowed and it still does this.

Running the process windowed is only to help monitor the usage and has no bearing on the game itself, however it can be detrimental because your comp has to keep the desktop always at the ready in case you need to click elsewhere.

As for the memory leak there is nothing we can do about it at all except close Warframe completely periodically to combat it. Unfortunately it is a problem with how Warframe is coded to purge it's memory usage.