The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Multi-Threaded Not Working Properly?

Phasedragon

I have a windows 8.1 64 bit  8gb RAM, Nvidia GTX-675MX i7-3630QM quad core laptop, and it appears that only 1 core is actually taking almost all of the load (95-100% with unrestricted FPS). However, the rest of the cores are easily under 20% all the time. I have the steam version, with multi-threading enabled from the launcher. To be honest, I'm getting fantastic frame rate, more than I could ever ask for (over 150) but I'm worried I'm putting too much stress on the first core when it could be balanced between the rest.

Edited by PhaseShifted

First off, check if multi threading is enabled.

This is from the wiki.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Update_10' title="Update 10"> introduced an experimental Multi-threaded rendering setting, which has been claimed to have nearly doubling framerate on some multi-core computers. This can be toggled by clicking the settings (gear) button in the top corner of the launcher, before the game itself is started. Note that your graphics card has a set limit of how many frames per second that warframe can run on your computer, and for some enabling this feature will have no effect due to the graphic card's limit already being reached. Overclocking can push past this issue but this should only be attempted by users who are experienced in this sort of thing as it can cause multiple crashes or hardware problems.

Honestly, if you're worrying about overheating or putting too much stress on a specific core then just enable Nvidia Adaptive V Sync from the geforce control panel. Make sure to disable the in game V Sync if you do this. It's redundant if you have both enabled and they didn't play nicely on my system.

Warframe started as singlethreaded game. Multithreaded rendering was added only later, which offload some work to other cores. That means that one core will utilized all the time and others when its needed. To properly utilize all the cores evenly, game engine must be developed as multithreaded from the start (Frostbite 3)