Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hek Uses Slug Ammunition, Yes?

lyravega

It seems my counting skills are inferior than of a child in a kindergarten. But I can swear that on all my tests, I counted 4. Only with multishot, the number of bullet holes increased. But there is even a screenshot below, and many more arguments. Therefore, I rest my argument!

How about making it a slug shotgun then? Like I assumed below? :P

Slug is often as deadly as point blank till 75-100 meters, after that the lethality goes down immensely, to a degree that it is considered as one of the safest ammo types that can be used in hunting. Around 300-400 meters, it loses much of its penetration capability, but can still inflict heavy bruises like of a heavy blunt weapon.

And if you are wondering why I'm calling Hek a slug shotgun: it has 4 barrels, and each shot fires 4 slugs - aka leaves 4 "bullet holes" on walls. And it is (was) effective at high ranges, and the damage per slug was very high when compared to a shotgun pellet.

So a question: why the hell do you nerf it along with other shotguns, which uses pellets as opposed to slugs? If you want to do something right, DO IT RIGHT. You cannot put Hek along with other shotguns, and nerf them altogether; Hek uses different ammunition, so it requires different tweaks. 

Edited by lyravega

I don't think they intended for this, since the Hek has a spread, the cone is just tighter than the Strun and the Boar. I don't mind the nerf, it doesn't affect me since I don't enjoy sniping with it, I am usually in short-medium ranges of enemies and it's still a OSK unless I shoot off centered or it's a heavy. And regarding bullet holes, slash at a wall with a blade or the hammer an it will leave a hole as well, it's just animations, it doesn't mean the Hek fires slugs. And unless you were using it to snipe across the map, then I can see why you'd be hating on the nerf.

Nah, the Hek fires 7 pellets. The 4 barrels are presumably for the 4 shots per reload. Not that I don't agree that the nerf to the Hek was poorly done, but it's definitely firing shot.

Q5TVRXZ.jpg

7 Pellets indeed. So it is in-fact, not using slugs. 

Edited by Numbahs

I don't think they intended for this, since the Hek has a spread, the cone is just tighter than the Strun and the Boar. I don't mind the nerf, it doesn't affect me since I don't enjoy sniping with it, I am usually in short-medium ranges of enemies and it's still a OSK unless I shoot off centered or it's a heavy. And regarding bullet holes, slash at a wall with a blade or the hammer an it will leave a hole as well, it's just animations, it doesn't mean the Hek fires slugs. And unless you were using it to snipe across the map, then I can see why you'd be hating on the nerf.

Because he was using it to 'snipe' across medium-sized rooms, perhaps? Or, given how the falloff mechanics work, shoot at literally any range at all?

Edited by Worira

So with the thought processing understood though it's still a tighter shot with a little more accuracy than say the strun, however the point blank requirement makes that boost to accuracy entirely without point. in my opinion it should have increased range but a higher drop at certain ranges.

Because he was using it to 'snipe' across medium-sized rooms, perhaps? Or, given how the falloff mechanics work, shoot at literally any range at all?

Most likely, the hate and complain I have seen since the nerf are all from players who used the Hek from far distances thinking it was cool, I mean it was handy, but I rarely find myself staying back /: then with 4-6 shots it's not the ideal weapon to use from afar either. Now all they get is little to no damage at far distances, I'm still happy with my Hek (:

Most likely, the hate and complain I have seen since the nerf are all from players who used the Hek from far distances thinking it was cool, I mean it was handy, but I rarely find myself staying back /: then with 4-6 shots it's not the ideal weapon to use from afar either. Now all they get is little to no damage at far distances, I'm still happy with my Hek (:

I use it like a shotgun, but with this patch it has reduced damage from just across the room... 

Nah, the Hek fires 7 pellets. The 4 barrels are presumably for the 4 shots per reload. Not that I don't agree that the nerf to the Hek was poorly done, but it's definitely firing shot.

7? Humm... I can swear that I always saw 4 bullet holes, everytime I tested. I don't know if others ALWAYS landed on other areas.

I use it like a shotgun, but with this patch it has reduced damage from just across the room... 

Here's the thing: with how small most rooms are, hitting someone in the chest on the other side of one is still perfectly lethal for a shotgun. The HEK performs like a normal shotgun perfectly. The falloff nerf is what makes no sense, as shotguns lose their punch as the pellet spread out. It's why in games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and it's sequels and even Fallout: New Vegas, the slug round had a MUCH tighter cone of fire but did all the damage at once, because instead of pellets, it was just one big friggin slug. Some shotguns in those games and especially in real life have very tight spreads to allow shotgun sniping. It's why modern tactical shotguns can even be equipped with a mid-range scope, they're that freaking accurate while still being lethal.

Here's the thing: with how small most rooms are, hitting someone in the chest on the other side of one is still perfectly lethal for a shotgun. The HEK performs like a normal shotgun perfectly. The falloff nerf is what makes no sense, as shotguns lose their punch as the pellet spread out. It's why in games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and it's sequels and even Fallout: New Vegas, the slug round had a MUCH tighter cone of fire but did all the damage at once, because instead of pellets, it was just one big friggin slug. Some shotguns in those games and especially in real life have very tight spreads to allow shotgun sniping. It's why modern tactical shotguns can even be equipped with a mid-range scope, they're that freaking accurate while still being lethal.

Slug is a single piece of metal - it doesn't have cone or spread.

Slug round with rifled barrel can be accurate in more than 100 meter. However, pellets shot from smoothbore will have reduced range due to spread. Fullchoke barrel allows you to accurately shoot the target at 40-50 meter. It depends on the gauge of pellet as well, the cheney incident in 2006 showed that birdshot (almost 200 pellets) shot at 30 meter range (the reciever, Harry Whittington was shot at the head and the torso). The reciever didn't have anything more than flash wounds, only a single lead pellet managed to penetrate the thoracic cavity.  

You talk about one thing that really matters: shotguns already lose their effect on long ranges due to their pellet spread; damage falloff is just a cheap thing to make matters worse. They should've re-adjusted the pellet spread on Hek, instead of introducing something as stupid as this damage-falloff, and nerfed the AP mod a little.

Also, sawed-off shotguns have insane spread due to their shorter barrels, pump-action shotguns have a tighter spread but still have a spread. There is no spread for the slugs; imagine it fires a big "bullet", much like the old muskets. Accuracy is something, spread is something. 

Edited by lyravega