Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's The Point With "ice" Missions

Mikki79

"I'm detecting ice", abort mission try again. Well that's what I do. Why play missions where your shields are halved? Is there a bonus, do you get more xp, credits or something from those missions? Or is it just "hard" mode with no benefit.

For the sense of adaptability and proficiency which comes with facing unexpected challenges and prevailing.

That's ... pretty much it.

It's more immersive to have unknown factors impact your mission after you've already launched, like when the factions switch half way through.

Oh, and it looks cool. The gigantic icicles and frozen floor patches are neat additions, especially sense they seem to be procedurally generated along with the tiles.

They should at least add a 30% cred bonus to ice missions or something, "just harder to finish" is no motivation for a player that is farming or only playing an alert mission for creds. The missions with combustion do at least have a sense because enemies take damage from it, but the only shielded enemies are corpus and their shields are weak anyway, so you have no real benefit from halving their shields.

They should introduce "meteor shower" for ground maps, where non-scripted random meteors are fallig down. And they should introduce "electrical storm" which causes lightnings to strike and kill electricity, means doors are shutting and opening fast and wild, so that enemies running into them will get cut in pieces.

I think it's just the developers' way of making missions more varied.

It's halves your shields so if you haven't been focusing on increasing your shield capacity, you should.

Environmental hazards (ice, fire) probably shouldn't happen in lower levels though when players have not yet found the "Redirection" mod, other than that, personally I don't really think the current system has any problems.

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

Ice would be far more interesting were it localized to specific rooms as opposed to spread out across all the tiles, in my opinion. Opens room for more tactical thinking regarding enemies with high shields (drawing them into that room), etc. Course their AI would have to be adjusted so they don't just stay in the room while you blast them from outside - I'm thinking more of a thing where you draw them in, then disappear into hiding so they're forced to search for you, then kill them while their back is turned. Or other similar tactics - draw them in then force a lockdown, etc.

Right now, ice is just a blanket debuff, which I don't really find particularly interesting. If the rewards were buffed, it would give a reason to play them - but it still wouldn't be interesting, per se. Same with fire, which is a bit pointless at the moment. Make us parkour through the fire or something.

Ice would be far more interesting were it localized to specific rooms as opposed to spread out across all the tiles, in my opinion. Opens room for more tactical thinking regarding enemies with high shields (drawing them into that room), etc. Course their AI would have to be adjusted so they don't just stay in the room while you blast them from outside - I'm thinking more of a thing where you draw them in, then disappear into hiding so they're forced to search for you, then kill them while their back is turned. Or other similar tactics - draw them in then force a lockdown, etc.

This might indeed increase the depth of the game.

For the sense of adaptability and proficiency which comes with facing unexpected challenges and prevailing.

That's ... pretty much it.

It's more immersive to have unknown factors impact your mission after you've already launched, like when the factions switch half way through.

Oh, and it looks cool. The gigantic icicles and frozen floor patches are neat additions, especially sense they seem to be procedurally generated along with the tiles.

as much as I want to agree, the few frames that are shield reliant and the fact that shields have no damage mitigation make this not so cool