Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mfw I Get The Same Fps Running 4K As When I Am On 1080P

-Kryptic

Ok, after researching it its not that great. (and its not 4K) Don't fool yourself.

Its more of a FSAA than anything... downscaling pixels from original size to what it would be with 1080p.

True, but the Graphics Card is still rendering it at 4k, I was just surprised of how little of a performance decrease it had.

Its not rendering it at 4k. Just give up the concept. Its a form of FSAA, has nice ring about it as if it was anything new but really isn't. You should consider it as new form of AA.

I am pretty sure it is rendering at 4k, but I have no idea.

Well DSR is still pretty cool.

Proper name for DSR is MSAA/MFAA

Just to explain something.

MFAA-programmable-sampling.png

MFAA-temporal-synthesis-filter.png

"While NVIDIA's DSR is in many ways just a new take on SSAA, MFAA is a modification to MSAA plus a bit of extra "secret sauce". The sauce in this case consists of one hardware change – the sample patterns are now programmable and stored in RAM instead of ROM so they can be varies between frames or even within a frame – and there's also some form of inter-frame filtering. ATI (now AMD) first started doing this a while back as well, though not necessarily in the same way as NVIDIA is doing MFAA. The idea is also similar to Temporal AA, which swaps sampling patterns every other frame in order to approximate 4xMSAA while only doing 2xMSAA, but now MFAA is doing some image synthesis over the frames to help detect and remove jaggies."

• 3 months later...

DSR is not a from of AA, you can use DSR and ad any form of AA you want.
DSR is just an easier way to use Downsampling. Of course it has similarities to OGSSAA but it has nothing to do with MSAA or MFAA as these do not increase resolution in terms of textures/shaders and so on. Like Downsampling you force the Game to run on a higher resolution (as an example 4k) so any effect that is based on resolution: Shader-, Particle-, Filter-, Postprocessing-, Texturefiltering-, Tesselationeffects and so on hast to calculate at a higher resolution. The GPU send then a 4k image to your monitor and he scales it down to his native resolution. Even though you lose 75% of rendered pixels, you still get benefits in form of better effects, sharp textures, less aliasing, viewdistance and more details at higher distance.
The quality of your image increases.
The Diffrence between DSR and Downsampling is only the fact that with DSR the GPU itself scales the image to native resolution BEFORE it sends it to the Monitor, this makes it alot easier to use Downsampling. Normally it has alot of difficulties to set up downsampling with DSR dont.

If you need any source on that, just tell me, i´m using downsampling for about 6 years and was very happy when nvidia announced that they would integrate this into their driver.

MSAA is a ressource efficient form of AA that is very easy to implent in any game, and has nothing to do with changing resolution. MFAA is just a even more efficient and better quality form of MSAA that is interchangebale with MSAA without even changing game code.

DSR/Downsampling not only helps with aliasing but improves other parts in terms of image quality in a game.

The max resolution you can use is depending on game code and api. So even though WF uses DX11 and could use higher resolutions then 4k, it still has a bad coding and so it buggy and normaly dont allow you higher resolution then 4k.

---------------------------------

I would like to play @5120x2880, for my monitor (2560x1440) this would be the best option, in games like BIoshock everything looks awesome and beutiful, ever image is very clear and has so many details and there are no distance effects. Hope DE will fix this, becouse in my opinion it is just another bug in wf that this resolution wont work.

---------------------------------

@Seeker you see that your chart and "text" isn´t about DSR right? It is about MSAA and MFAA and has nothing to do with DSR.

p.s. sry for my bad english, sitting here in germany