Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scrap The Energy System. Replace It With Separate Cooldowns For Each Ability

KaizerPrime

I use Iron Skin so I am now at 65 Solar-Power and 18s Solar-Downtime. Using now any other ability will cost the ability's Solar Power and adds the ability's Solar-Downtime.

e.g. Rhino Charge (15Solar Power; 2s Solar-Downtime):  You will now be at 50 Solar Power and 18s + 2s = 20s Solar-Downtime.

It is clear that Warframes having "overtime" abilities have higher Downtimes as well.

Ah i see, interesting. I agree it kinda sounds like heat just backwards :)). How about adding an "cannibalism" mechanic. If you are at 10 SP(solar power) left, then if you use your ult for example it will "cannibalize" your suits vital energy, letting you use the ult, but making your shields drop by a percent or a specific amount or not allowing them to regenerate for some time, or both. I think it would make an interesting mechanic and really make you think "should i do this, making myself vulnerable or should i wait fot my SP to regenerate?".

Edited by Story4

The reason I dislike the cooldown suggestion is that it will ruin a LOT of combos.

As Loki, I can spam decoy and switch teleport to get a mate to cover when they're about to die, without killing myself in the process.

As Loki, I can invis, run into a cluster of enemies and use my ult, taking heat of my mates without killing me.

As Volt, I can save my team on Corpus defense by using speed to get to them then overload to clear the area.

As Volt, I can protect weak mates by dropping 2 shields to protect them from multiple angles.

As Rhino, I can save my team on infested defense by popping iron skin, rushing a group of 10 ancients, then using my ult.

Without combos, I can't do any of that. That's why I dislike CD's. It also takes the risk out of things. I can spam stuff now, and risk not regaining it. With a CD, I can use whatever I want knowing I'll get it again in just a little while. Make Frost and Rhino even better since they can tank bullets while they cooldown, right?

You can do all of that with a cooldown system. It's called individual cooldowns for each skill. The cooldown isn't shared, that would be just dumb.

I'd rather use one ability as much as my energy allows rather than have to use all my abilities just because the one I want is on cooldown.  I play a lot of MMOs, a lot, I don't need that cooldown mechanic in a faster-paced action game.  In fact, there is a big push away from cooldowns in MMOs.  More and more people are wanting tighter, less boring combat and part of that is either completing removing cooldowns or drastically lowering them (e.g. a couple of seconds versus a few minutes for an ability).

The introduction of a cooldown system would really go against the grain in this game, and several of the frames would almost feel useless if they couldn't always use an ability they need to use.

I'd rather use one ability as much as my energy allows rather than have to use all my abilities just because the one I want is on cooldown.  I play a lot of MMOs, a lot, I don't need that cooldown mechanic in a faster-paced action game.  In fact, there is a big push away from cooldowns in MMOs.  More and more people are wanting tighter, less boring combat and part of that is either completing removing cooldowns or drastically lowering them (e.g. a couple of seconds versus a few minutes for an ability).

The introduction of a cooldown system would really go against the grain in this game, and several of the frames would almost feel useless if they couldn't always use an ability they need to use.

Then you might want to check out the topic I created and give some feedback: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/38214-hybrid-cool-down-energy-system/

Basically it keeps the energy costs around the same as they are, but gives each ability a free use every X seconds that they haven't used that particular ability.  That way you can spam the abilities that you need/want to without having to worry about occasionally using another ability.  Also if you have a dry spot in energy as can happen in defense missions you can use your abilities on a CD instead of being able to spam them.

Edited by Tsukinoki