Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Opening Locked Doors

BenzinNinJa

So... My room mate just came home after having spent christmas and new years with his family. Guess who decided to not only lock his door, but also pull his bed in front of the door? That's right. My room mate.
Guess who also managed to lose the only key to the door? Yup, you guessed it...

So right now I'm sitting in the living room, the door is locked, the handled has been taken off, and he's trying to figure out a way to unlock the door, that we can use on his door.

So I have a question for you guys. Does anyone have some good advice that doesn't involve drilling out the lock or calling a lock smith?
All we have is basic tools and some steel wire.

Sledgehammer.

EDIT: Or walk up to the terminal and solve the puzzle. Or use a Cipher.

We're fresh out of ciphers, unfortunately, and our foundry is in his room, so we can't craft one right now.

Lockpicking!

Can I teach you what I know?

Sure thing, if you can do it here in writing :)

Sure thing, if you can do it here in writing :)

Since you have some steel wires and (presumably) a plier (since you have basic tools), make an improvised tension wrench (which looks like an L shape, but with the gripping handle way longer than the part used to insert to the bottom of the keyhole) and a lockpick (a straight line with a small hook at one end. Also make a good handle for that, since you would be using it as well). The reason I did not advise to go off to buy a ready-made tension wrench and a lockpick right now is because I am not sure if the country you are in allows the sale of these without a license, or at all (however, both the image of a tension wrench and a lockpick can be found online). 

Anyways, once that is done, insert the tension wrench, and turn it. If one direction makes the keyhole turn a bit more, turn the tension wrench that way, and hold it. Then, insert the lockpick, and find the most stubborn pin in there. Push it up so that the top part of the pin will then rise up, and fall onto just against the cylinder. Repeat until all the pins are up (and deduce that the pins are up by feeling, visualising, and hearing the pins). There should also be quick online tutorials for this. 

But of course, first things first: Is that lock yours?

Since you have some steel wires and (presumably) a plier (since you have basic tools), make an improvised tension wrench (which looks like an L shape, but with the gripping handle way longer than the part used to insert to the bottom of the keyhole) and a lockpick (a straight line with a small hook at one end. Also make a good handle for that, since you would be using it as well). The reason I did not advise to go off to buy a ready-made tension wrench and a lockpick right now is because I am not sure if the country you are in allows the sale of these without a license, or at all (however, both the image of a tension wrench and a lockpick can be found online). 

Anyways, once that is done, insert the tension wrench, and turn it. If one direction makes the keyhole turn a bit more, turn the tension wrench that way, and hold it. Then, insert the lockpick, and find the most stubborn pin in there. Push it up so that the top part of the pin will then rise up, and fall onto just against the cylinder. Repeat until all the pins are up (and deduce that the pins are up by feeling, visualising, and hearing the pins). There should also be quick online tutorials for this. 

But of course, first things first: Is that lock yours?

Thanks man!

Yeah, the apartment we share is like a loom kitchen room thing, with three adjoining rooms, that all have their own locks, so this is completely legal. I wouldn't go about robbing, or breaking into, another mans house, by asking for advice on a forum I frequent, with a nick name I use litterally everywhere.

I think it's legal to buy and sell lock picks here in little old Denmark. I haven't heard anything to the contrary at least.

And I did of course try calling our land lord, but he doesn't pick up the phone in the weekend, so if we can't make this work, my room mate is going to have to sleep on the sofa untill we can get a hold of a spare key. If a spare key exists in the first place.

I didn't know the thing about finding the most stubborn pin first. We were just taking the first pin, and then the second, and so on.

I didn't know the thing about finding the most stubborn pin first. We were just taking the first pin, and then the second, and so on.

With most household locks, they use a pin tumbler lock. While in theory, the pins would all be of equal size and diameter, and thus would not be able to be lockpicked, but due to machinery and their tolerances, these pins actually have very slight differences between each other, and that is what lockpicking is about: Finding the pin with the the least tolerance first (i.e.: The most stubborn pin first), then work your way from there (going from the most stubborn pin, to the next stubborn pin, and so on, until all the pins are aligned with the cylinder, and the lock opens). 

Of course, it takes a lot of practice to get it right. 

With most household locks, they use a pin tumbler lock. While in theory, the pins would all be of equal size and diameter, and thus would not be able to be lockpicked, but due to machinery and their tolerances, these pins actually have very slight differences between each other, and that is what lockpicking is about: Finding the pin with the the least tolerance first (i.e.: The most stubborn pin first), then work your way from there (going from the most stubborn pin, to the next stubborn pin, and so on, until all the pins are aligned with the cylinder, and the lock opens). 

Of course, it takes a lot of practice to get it right. 

Then it's a good thing that he has just about 36 hours before we kind find out whether a spare key exists or not.

Thanks a lot man, really appreciate it :)