Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Corpses Blockin' My Shots: The Problem, And Possible Fixes

Firebasket

So, I love my Gorgon. I loved it pre-nerf, and I still love it now for being the awesome machine gun of machine gunny-death. However, ever since the 7.9 patch, I've had another issue with it.

Death animations blocking my frickin' shots.

I like being able to blast Grineer apart with the new enhanced gore system, but when I unload 60 or so shots in two seconds (I use a fire rate mod on my Gorgon) into one Grineer and they just kinda slowly slump onto the ground instead of gibbing completely or dropping like someone who just had half of their body weight replaced like lead, it gets kind of awkward. I love to use my Gorgon to clear hallways, but if one Grineer up in my face does that particular death animation (The one where they slowly realize they have additional orifices, then fall to their knees, then keel over dead), I have to move around him to get the most out of my shots, or have my bullets do nothing to his invincible corpse for the 3-4 seconds it does the animation for (And yes, the animation really is that long).

While I appreciate that puncture mods exist, I don't appreciate that my bullets, the same bullets that blow massive holes in Grineer and tear out ribcages, simply stop having power when the target is dead. Corpses disintegrate very shortly after death anyway, so why not allow us to shoot or melee enemies to cancel their death animations, or allow us to gib enemies going through said animations, as in Soldier of Fortune? While in SoF it was more for funsies, in Warframe a Grineer going through his "Oh noooo, I'm dying, noooooo" animation can block a lot of shots, especially in corridors, like in Corpus spaceships. It takes my Gorgon about five or six seconds to empty completely. That can block more than half of my shots, and by the time I've noticed that the individual I'm shooting is already dead, tons of bullets are gone and the legion of Thunder-Thigh'd Space Marines are no worse for wear.

So basically, here's what I'd like to see. While it would be nice to have most of these, any of them would fix the problem!

1. Gibbing Corpses!

This would allow me to simply explode the top half of any Grineer who's taking his time dying (So I can shoot over what's left), while also feeling very satisfying. It shouldn't (I say this with hesitancy, I don't know how y'all code) take too many additional resources,seeing as how corpses disintegrate so quickly anyway. And it would be really cool and stuff.

2. Weapon-Specific Death Animations

Simply don't play the animations that would hinder specific weapons. The one with the Grineer slowly falling to his knees and dying? REALLY cool if you scored a headshot with a Lex, Paris or Snipetron. Not so cool when you're unloading on him with a Gorgon or Twin Vipers from five feet away, and he's blocking shots. This would fix this issue, by just having quicker death animations applied to kills with weapons that would be hindered by the enemy going through them.

3. Bullets that Go Through Dead Things

Allow our bullets to pass through corpses. While I know people who use Puncture are likely to go "WAIT JUST A SECOND", I'm not trying to make Puncture useless. Puncture should work on living things, and on shields like the kind the Grineer Shield guys use, and maybe even thin pieces of the environment. I just don't want to see corpses that soak up more bullets dead than they did alive, with no noticeable impact on them.

4. Allow Additional Shots or Melee Attacks to Cancel Death Animations

Allow us to shoot (or smack) corpses taking their time dying to cancel their animation. Kind of a lame fix since those who use automatics might accidentally cancel animations that they liked, but it does fix the problem of corpses soaking up bullets. Alternatively, allow melee attacks to cancel death animations. Not quite as useful, but it would still help.

Before anyone posts with "omg there are more important things you fool", I know this isn't a vital thing for the devs to be working on. We still need more content, still need endgame, ect. However, I know this would help increase my enjoyment of the game to be able to use my Gorgon effectively in long hallways and areas where Grineer are taking cover all in a row, areas where the Gorgon SHOULD be effective, but can get shut down by someone dying too eloquently. Hopefully a dev sees this, and eventually fixes it when they have time!

I agree quite heartily with you, not just because these suggestions are valid, but you can also clearly see you took the time to sit down and format your post. Thank for making this post pleasant to read.

The bullet blocking bodies is quite annoying. Especially when your enemies run around you and all die in the same manner so you have a giant wall of already dead flailing enemies blocking both your view and your bullets.

Edited by Kiafis

So, I love my Gorgon. I loved it pre-nerf, and I still love it now for being the awesome machine gun of machine gunny-death. However, ever since the 7.9 patch, I've had another issue with it.

Death animations blocking my frickin' shots.

I like being able to blast Grineer apart with the new enhanced gore system, but when I unload 60 or so shots in two seconds (I use a fire rate mod on my Gorgon) into one Grineer and they just kinda slowly slump onto the ground instead of gibbing completely or dropping like someone who just had half of their body weight replaced like lead, it gets kind of awkward. I love to use my Gorgon to clear hallways, but if one Grineer up in my face does that particular death animation (The one where they slowly realize they have additional orifices, then fall to their knees, then keel over dead), I have to move around him to get the most out of my shots, or have my bullets do nothing to his invincible corpse for the 3-4 seconds it does the animation for (And yes, the animation really is that long).

While I appreciate that puncture mods exist, I don't appreciate that my bullets, the same bullets that blow massive holes in Grineer and tear out ribcages, simply stop having power when the target is dead. Corpses disintegrate very shortly after death anyway, so why not allow us to shoot or melee enemies to cancel their death animations, or allow us to gib enemies going through said animations, as in Soldier of Fortune? While in SoF it was more for funsies, in Warframe a Grineer going through his "Oh noooo, I'm dying, noooooo" animation can block a lot of shots, especially in corridors, like in Corpus spaceships. It takes my Gorgon about five or six seconds to empty completely. That can block more than half of my shots, and by the time I've noticed that the individual I'm shooting is already dead, tons of bullets are gone and the legion of Thunder-Thigh'd Space Marines are no worse for wear.

So basically, here's what I'd like to see. While it would be nice to have most of these, any of them would fix the problem!

1. Gibbing Corpses!

This would allow me to simply explode the top half of any Grineer who's taking his time dying (So I can shoot over what's left), while also feeling very satisfying. It shouldn't (I say this with hesitancy, I don't know how y'all code) take too many additional resources,seeing as how corpses disintegrate so quickly anyway. And it would be really cool and stuff.

2. Weapon-Specific Death Animations

Simply don't play the animations that would hinder specific weapons. The one with the Grineer slowly falling to his knees and dying? REALLY cool if you scored a headshot with a Lex, Paris or Snipetron. Not so cool when you're unloading on him with a Gorgon or Twin Vipers from five feet away, and he's blocking shots. This would fix this issue, by just having quicker death animations applied to kills with weapons that would be hindered by the enemy going through them.

3. Bullets that Go Through Dead Things

Allow our bullets to pass through corpses. While I know people who use Puncture are likely to go "WAIT JUST A SECOND", I'm not trying to make Puncture useless. Puncture should work on living things, and on shields like the kind the Grineer Shield guys use, and maybe even thin pieces of the environment. I just don't want to see corpses that soak up more bullets dead than they did alive, with no noticeable impact on them.

4. Allow Additional Shots or Melee Attacks to Cancel Death Animations

Allow us to shoot (or smack) corpses taking their time dying to cancel their animation. Kind of a lame fix since those who use automatics might accidentally cancel animations that they liked, but it does fix the problem of corpses soaking up bullets. Alternatively, allow melee attacks to cancel death animations. Not quite as useful, but it would still help.

Before anyone posts with "omg there are more important things you fool", I know this isn't a vital thing for the devs to be working on. We still need more content, still need endgame, ect. However, I know this would help increase my enjoyment of the game to be able to use my Gorgon effectively in long hallways and areas where Grineer are taking cover all in a row, areas where the Gorgon SHOULD be effective, but can get shut down by someone dying too eloquently. Hopefully a dev sees this, and eventually fixes it when they have time!

1 and 4 are the best options, and 1 really fits Warframe. It's nothing but pacing and flashiness, and that is the ENTIRE CORE of Warframe.

My feeling? Corpse gibbing and physics applied more strictly to dead things -- if you whack the dying guy his body gets slammed aside -- COMBINED.

I'd say option 1 would be a good goal but in the meantime one would expect option 4 easy to implement.

Tho i only really notice this when enemies are killed with electric or fire, and since i usually just run AP and frost they tend to just explode anyways lol

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I get this 2x as bad because I use ice mods on pretty much everything as soon as I can. Great post and suggestions.  I maxed the puncture mods for both primaries and secondaries just to deal with this but I didn't notice much of a difference.  Honestly this isn't as much a problem for me as having my shots blocked by other players and tried to offset this with the puncture mods but again, didn't really notice a difference.

Edited by Vitriolic_Crux

Well put OP. We'll see if we can get some dev's opinion on this.

Also, while we're on this topic, I want to put forth the idea of being able to shoot through teammates as well. 

It gets a little annoying when you're lining up a shot or mowing down a large group of infested charging at you through a corridor, when your teammate sort of steps into your sight and blocks all bullets with their well defined back muscles. 

I know it's not a HUGE deal, but that's just my minor complaint. I can just learn to deal with it.

What do you guys think?

Agreed, Grandarex.

When I try to use my Snipetron, I have to position myself AWAY from the rest of my team just to get clear shots at stuff, or just fire at things off in the distance that they aren't close to yet.

Having to fight against my own team just to do damage is never a good thing.

Also agree with the idea of either gibbing or just shooting through corpses.

I mostly use the slower-firing weapons so death animations don't affect me so much, but I can definitely see where you're coming from and I agree with you 100%.

Having to wait for bodies to finish "dying" before I can shoot what's behind them just isn't cool.