Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Petition To Remove Frame And Weapon Slot Limits Or Offer A Free Way To Get Them

BigJim1321

A lot of players will do that, especially with the recent rise in F2P games that offer equality, like for example Blacklight Retribution.

Also vanity items being purchasable only with money is actually a valid way to make an F2P game, there are numerous examples like Dota 2, League of Legends and TF2. In all of them you can get every advantage a paying player has and a F2P player has no disadvantage over a paying one.

This guy.

I'm not saying that F2P players are cowards, I'm just saying that they will go play the game which serves them better. If they feel limited or at a disadvantage they will probably try it at the beginning, but in the end they will quit and go to the one that offers them a better gaming experience. And why shouldn't they? It's all free after all.

I never smoke and i never will, but i will also not support a F2P model that offers more advantages to paying players. And 75 platinum will only get you 3 WF slots, after a year if there are at least 20 WF 3 slots won't even matter that much. Which is another good point, a F2P game should not expect to make money instantly, but over time. You shouldn't make a F2P player pay after he just played your game for a week, you need to make him love the game and expect him to pay just because he really likes it.

I payed for some skins in LoL not because i had to, but because i wanted to show my support to the developer, to repay him for a good F2P game and for the time that i have spent, only paying after 1 year.

Since in this game, for now, the only thing to do is farm, limiting players with slots actually makes them play less and in return make them like the game less. How long do you think someone will continue playing after he filled all his 4 WF slots? Maybe another week, maybe a little more, but in no case 1 year.

If slots were free or easy to acquire, farming for all the weapons and mods will easily take 200+ hours and in the mean-time devs will add more warframes and more weapons, maybe even challenges or other stuff that they can keep a gamer more time. If even after all that time a player hasn't payed for the game, then he never would have anyway.

@TunaMayo LoL didn't took off only because of PvP, it took off because of it's good model and because it was accessible. Why aren't any of my friends playing Warframe, but most of them are playing LoL? If i didn't play as a free player, none of them would have played and in consequence none of them would have payed.

Also if PvE is implemented good with challenges, hardcore modes, leader boards do you think that players wouldn't like to play them? We actually bought some strategy games because we enjoy a good challenge on Lan vs the computer. Mmmm Lan parties...

After a year with no incomes DE will starve to death because no one had the ****** brains to think that if they work they should be paid to do so. they don't ask it to everyone they don't even ask it at all it's common sense. I work i get paid for it. It's the same here. F2P gamers want to enslave the whole world as they don't want to pay a penny for anything and they just keep complaining.

90% of all F2P games restrict character slots for free players.

From AOC over DDO through LOTRO to STO, all of them have 2-3 slots for characters.

Warframes are essentially characters.

But DE is merciful, so with every Warframe purchase you get a slot free.

In the brief time that i played WoW, maybe a month or two, i only made 2 characters with 2 classes, a priest and a shaman. I reached end-game with them, had tons of items with them, played with friends with them, PvP'd with them etc. In a MMO, like the ones you mention above, leveling up a character probably takes as much as 100 hours or more and you invest much more time than you do in a warframe in Warframe. 

Characters in MMO's are much more developed than a warframe, you have a ton of skills, a ton of item differences and a ton of playstyles.

In Warframe, other than some abilities which you may or may not need, some of which are OP and others useless, are there that many diffrences between warframes? Almost none. Yeah maybe you can take more damage with Rhino and be faster with Loki, but it's not even a tenth of the complexity of a character in a MMO. And you get 2 slots in both.

@Argoms in Blacklight the only thing that you cannot get are slots for weapons, which you can switch during a game session, but even if i have 2 of them i never used the second one in the 60 hours that i have played it. Being able to switch weapons between matches also makes it kinda redundant.

@ Mr.Pava if the devs wanted to get paid immediately, then they shouldn't have made the game F2P, they should have made it P2P and everyone would be happy. If you are making a F2P game you have to expect money are going to come over time, not instantly. 

this is a pretty good video. Edited by Story4

After a year with no incomes DE will starve to death because no one had the ****** brains to think that if they work they should be paid to do so. they don't ask it to everyone they don't even ask it at all it's common sense. I work i get paid for it. It's the same here. F2P gamers want to enslave the whole world as they don't want to pay a penny for anything and they just keep complaining.

I'd give up. Judging by the cherry-picked examples, he's already convinced himself of something.

In the brief time that i played WoW, maybe a month or two, i only make 2 characters with 2 classes, a priest and a shaman. I reached end-game with them, had tons of items with them, played with friends with them, PvP'd with them etc. In a MMO, like the ones you mention above, leveling up a character probably takes as much as 100 hours or more and you invest much more time than you do in a warframe in Warframe. 

Characters in MMO's are much more developed than a warframe, you have a ton of skills, a ton of item differences and a ton of playstyles.

In Warframe, other than some abilities which you may or may not need, some of which are OP and others useless, are there that many diffrences between warframes? Almost none. Yeah maybe you can take more damage with Rhino and be faster with Loki, but it's not even a tenth of the complexity of a character in a MMO. And you get 2 slots in both.

@Argoms in Blacklight the only thing that you cannot get are slots for weapons, which you can switch during a game session, but even if i have 2 of them i never used the second one in the 60 hours that i have played it. Being able to switch weapons between matches also makes it kinda redundant.

@ Mr.Pava if the devs wanted to get paid immediately, then they shouldn't have made the game F2P, they should have made it P2P and everyone would be happy. If you are making a F2P game you have to expect money are going to come over time, not instantly. 

this is a pretty good video.

Story, I see you haven't seen the latest update where they added a multiple hour grind wall to TRIAL a single part. I played Blacklight to level 40 purely free to play, but that was the update that made me quit. Zombie has stopped caring about the game, really.

On a side note, your "examples" on free to play games that are successful cosmetics are probably the only three (I'm guessing that there are less than 10 cosmetic-only truly free f2p games still running) that enjoy huge success with that model.

Edited by Argoms

this is a pretty good video.

That's why I said they didn't say such things. It's 4 bucks +/- seriously?

Let them quit.

If they don't have 4 bucks to get some of this they shouldn't have the 20 bucks or more to pay for their internet connection.

If their adults? Or addict kids? Quit smoking or consuming drugs, and there you go.

This topic is useless.

Edited by Mr.Pava

Well i played Blacklight retribution some time ago and it was a good F2P game with a good model. Didn't know that it has changed.

Another example would be Star Conflict, pretty good game but is limited by the fact that not a lot of people like space-ships.

I'm talking about them because they are the ones that i have played. If i would have played others then i would have talked about them as well.

And I already said that it should be better to have half the slots free, not all of them. Kinda like World of Tanks since i played that too. But i already talked about it. 

That's why I said they didn't say such things. It's 4 bucks +/- seriously?

Let them quit.

If they don't have 4 bucks to get some of this they shouldn't have the 20 bucks or more to pay for their internet connection.

If their adults? Or addict kids? Quit smoking or consuming drugs, and there you go.

This topic is useless.

Maybe not everyone lives in a 1st world country like you do? Not that i have a problem, but i mostly pay for F2P games if i like their model, if i like the devs and if i like the game. Currently the model is too limited, even with paying 10 euro you can't get all the slots, not to mention that you pretty much have top pay to be able to grind. I kinda like the devs, but the game is so full of bugs and balance issues between weapons and abilities that it isn't even funny.

What if i support the game in the current condition, but the devs won't try to improve it and just make more items available only for platinum, to milk money from the game? If i do that now, then i would have supported a game that won't like and since i don't know where it is going I'd rather save my money and, when the game is released, if the devs have made an acceptable model for F2P players and made the game better, i will show them my support and pay 10 or 20 euros for it on the first day.

Until then, it's kinda like the current problem with pre-orders, you never know if your going to get a good game or a bad game and there are many, many devs that relied on their pre-orders only to make a pitifull game that still sold well because people didn't wait until release day to see if the game was good or not.

I do not condemn you for having faith and/or spending money on the game, it is your prerogative, but it is also my prerogative to only pay when i consider that it is worth it.

Edited by Story4

Maybe not everyone lives in a 1st world country like you do? Not that i have a problem, but i mostly pay for F2P games if i like their model, if i like the devs and if i like the game. Currently the model is too limited, even with paying 10 euro you can't get all the slots, not to mention that you pretty much have top pay to be able to grind. I kinda like the devs, but the game is so full of bugs and balance issues between weapons and abilities that it isn't even funny.

What if i support the game in the current condition, but the devs won't try to improve it and just make more items available only for platinum, to milk money from the game? If i do that now, then i would have supported a game that won't like and since i don't know where it is going I'd rather save my money and, when the game is released, if the devs have made an acceptable model for F2P players and made the game better, i will show them my support and pay 10 or 20 euros for it on the first day.

Until then, it's kinda like the current problem with pre-orders, you never know if your going to get a good game or a bad game and there are many, many devs that relied on their pre-orders only to make a pitifull game that still sold well because people didn't wait until release day to see if the game was good or not.

I do not condemn you for having faith and/or spending money on the game, it is your prerogative, but it is also my prerogative to only pay when i consider that it is worth it.

I live in the center of all crisis.

Portugal ^^

Might be 1st world or whatever but there's not really butt-loads of spare money flying around. I played for 1 month and i saw good things in the game and i liked, and these guys deserved.

I'm not talking like this just because I've got a badge. It's the simple truth, every account comes with 2 frame slots and 50 plat.

You can boost one more slot for a frame and 2 more for guns, or 2 frame slots or whatsoever...

Witch will allow you to test the game into a later level, once you reach the point where it's all filled up in a completely free way probably you'll be already thinking on investing. If not your the usual kind of greedy F2P gamer that's more common around there. (No offence)

Colors, Potatoes, Slots and Sentinel accessories are the main income for them as they even give out on alert missions the BP's for skins and some weapons only available trough platinum (you still have to have luck to get them though). That's not much that they can just give out and be able to survive.

They need to upgrade servers, pay they whole staff, pay the bills to the place where they work, the rents... (keeps going on)

Ya know what i mean.

Anyway. 4 bucks.

Although you propose a solid solution argued well, the fact is if f2p players dont feel at some sort of disadvantage they have no incentive to pay for in game cash. Sure you have certain customizations plat only, but most people can live without that. Without a disadvantage for being f2p, no matter how small as it is now, you have a poor business model.

Quiet the contrary actually. Games like TF2, Dota 2, League of Legends, and more and more f2p games are choosing to make paying mostly for vanity or convenience items, allowing anything gameplay changing to be earned through gameplay. 

And yet they're raking in lots of cash. 

Quiet the contrary actually. Games like TF2, Dota 2, League of Legends, and more and more f2p games are choosing to make paying mostly for vanity or convenience items, allowing anything gameplay changing to be earned through gameplay. 

And yet they're raking in lots of cash. 

Because they're made by Valve and Riot.

Get a startup indie company to do the same, I dare you. I double @(*()$ dare you.

Edited by Argoms

Because they're made by Valve and Riot.

Get a startup indie company to do the same, I dare you. I double @(*()$ dare you.

Valve can support a complete fiasco, those other companies cannot. And Valve get's people to play the game just by having "Valve" on it.

@Mr. Pava: Yeah it's 4 bucks, but with 4 bucks you barely get 3 slots and you can't get any potatoes. Usually F2P games are made in a manner of paying to not grind for hours, but like this you actually have to pay to be able to grind. So it doesn't have a longevity on it's own, if you want to waste time you have to pay, instead of paying to not waste time. See the problem? If you make it like i have said in my first post i believe with half the slots and being able to repurchase a WF faster, it wouldn't be too limiting.

Also skin BP should probably be removed from the alerts, i don't really understand why they were there in the first place. Potatoes should be in the alert system or through high level defense mission, anything that alters gameplay really, but skins should only be available thorough plat.

This was their biggest mistake IMO, they tried to improve on something that didn't need fixing while screwing it up for both the paying customers (since they don't feel like paying since you can even earn skins in game, or feel that their purchase isn't worth it) and for the F2P customers who are severely limited by slots, maybe not that much now, but in the future more-so. And when you make a F2P game you can't think of 1 or 2 months ahead, you have to think 1 year or more ahead.

@ Argoms yeah cus Riot was a huge company at the start... This was sarcasm.

Edited by Story4

you do realize this video supports DE's current slot system

Umm no. It says that in a mmo, people should pay for slots. But, as i had explained in the exact same comment, MMO characters are much more complex than a warframe and you only need 1 or 2 anyway. In that case i have no problem with it, because after you have finished your 2 characters on full levels with all the higher tiered items and stuff like that, you would have already played hundreds of hours.

As i have said, a warframe barely has a tenth of the complexity of a mmo character, so only 2 slots is very limited. And considering that with a MMO character you can do all the end-game, but with warframe getting more warframes is the end-game (as the devs have stated themselves) you are actually limiting players from the game.

Also in a MMO you can try every class at the beginning to see which one you like, in warframe you can only see if you like it after you spent time grinding for it.

But i have already made this argument in the same comment as the youtube one.

EDIT: Love it when people downvote but don't explain why. 

Edited by Story4

Pay $50 for this game and then you can rant all you like.

Otherwise. Quiet.

Wrong, it's advertised as F2P and both paid customer and F2Per are essential to the game. Paid players pay and keep the game alive while F2Pers are advertising the game through word of mouth. The fairer the game is to F2Per, the better reputation of the game.

Otherwise, the game should advertised as subscription.

Slots per rank up is just not cool. If they were faster then ok, but you have to spend a ton of game-time to gain them, i am almost at 150 hours and i am almost at rank 6. And ranks get harder and harder to get each time you level up. Also in time more and more warframes and weapons will appear so you will need more and more slots, limiting F2P players too much.

Honestly, if DE has limited server space and they can't allow players to have to many warframes, here's my proposal. Allow each player to have half the number of slots for warframes and weapons (e.g. now we have 12 warframes so each player gets 6 slots). Over time, when more warframes are added, add one more slot for every 2 warframes and/or 2 weapons for free. Also if you sell a warframe you should be able to get it back, leveled up, with either spending 300.000 credits (or something similar) or with 100.000 credits and resources.

This way a free player can't get everything in the game at one time, but if he regrets selling a warframe and wants it back he can acquire it faster and not grind the bosses until the random drop gives him all the blueprints. Also the waiting time for crafting a warframe should be faster, like 1 day instead on 3 days.

It will make F2P players feel the disadvantage of slots much less, but it will still be there and if the slots aren't enough then you could always buy more.

Half the current number of warframes made available would mean that there's almost zero incentive to buy platinum.  I've played hundreds of hours, and I'm still just at 8 warframes (making Ash right now, had the parts for all warframes since forever, just didn't bother to make them).  

If we were to implement a buy-back option for weapons or warframes, the price would have to be somewhat steep as well.  I'm not going to suggest a number, but keep in mind a couple of hours of doing nothing but alerts (meaning you're not even playing the whole time, but rather chatting or surfing forums) will net you a good 30-40k credit minimum, not counting any item drop.

Also skin BP should probably be removed from the alerts, i don't really understand why they were there in the first place. Potatoes should be in the alert system or through high level defense mission, anything that alters gameplay really, but skins should only be available thorough plat.

I'm sorry to tell you this but the skin BPs are only skins that change an aspect of the weapon/warframe in exchange for another, and potatoes are already so you can get them through alerts. if they change gameplay even in a tiny manner it should be able to be obtained through gameplay wich is why they are part of the alert system.

also Slots... Really now how many weapons do you really like and want to use all the time? same goes for frames... i always try to keep one slot open for a new frame/weapon to try out and if i like it i keep it simple as that and change out one of the ones i liked less than the new one sure i would love to have everything in the game but if you don't pick an choose then why would you even bother try to get new stuff? also if slots are so concerning for alot of people they should spend the plat they get from the start to buy more slots so they have more room to try out new frames and get rid of old ones that they no longer wanna play. 

anyway i think its a bad idea to take one of the few thing from the game that is something you have to pay for out, just course people feel like hoarding every single frame/weapon that comes out. Pick and choose my friends. 

Everything of concequence can be gained through alerts, hell you can sell a frame, collect its parts again build it again, level it agian ad infinium if you so desire without spending a real life cent, you don't need more slots for anything in this game.

Spending money on a game you enjoy is a good way to show your support, if you can afford it, FTP games are popular because you can play them even if you can't afford to buy a game. Learn some restraint, keep what you like, sell what you don't and just collect it/build it agian if you want to give it another shot.

This game has a good modle for FTP games, its easily as neutral as LoL, as just like in LoL anything of concequence you can earn without spending money, the only things you have to pay for is cosmetics and bonus slots neither of which you actually need.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, they don't actually expect you to spend every free moment playing, thats why they have the alerts show up on a twitter account, if something drops that you want, you can log in and pick it up then log back out again.

Edited by katmonster

Wrong, it's advertised as F2P and both paid customer and F2Per are essential to the game. Paid players pay and keep the game alive while F2Pers are advertising the game through word of mouth. The fairer the game is to F2Per, the better reputation of the game.

Otherwise, the game should advertised as subscription.

This is fact, icing covering the cake of logic.

It stands to reason that gamers with less funsies money tend to have higher standards.

When I find the very rare F2P that meets mine,

you can bet my Steam friends list is getting spammed about the game until I convince them into a test drive.

I always consider supporting it, so does at least one buddy.

Edited by Denninja

As the game designers create more content, and hopefully tweak the warframes and weapons so they become more diverse, then the slots will become more valuable. As it stands right now, there is no real reason to buy more slots because with the mod system, and weapon system you can have every playstyle available with just 2 warframes. (this may change with the new engineer warframe, it looks like he will have a unique playstyle)

It is also very appearent to me that they are experimenting with the store to see if they are going to have the playerbase to switch to a more cosmetic oriented system for micro-transactions. I say this because of the sentinal skin release. If the sales numbers indicate that it's viable, we may see a slow migration away from content restiction. Next they may try optional weapon skins like purple flaming daggers or katana type sword models that do not raise stats, but allow customization.

One thing that has always held true, no matter what game I have played, is the amount of effort people will put into a character to try and look unique. The more options there are to change small things like gloves, or helmets , or leggings, the easier it is for a person to create a unique look.

I played Everquest 2 for 3 years, subscription, on Bazaar server, which allowed you to buy and sell in game currency for real world money. They had a housing feature. I have been witness to people spending 100's of dollars real world money to players who would decorate their homes for them, just so they could show them off to other people. They served absolutly no other purpose. Obviously we are not going to have individual housing here, but the example can be applied to anything that is able to be customized. Don't like saryns wrap around? no problem, drop $2 and buy a pair of leggings to get rid of it. Want spikes all over your rhino? np drop $5 for rhino's raptor chestplate. The potential is endless.

The only problem with an all cosmetic model is you need the playerbase to support it. They appear to be testing the waters as we speak, and it may be that they decide to go that way, but the numbers will have to support it.

Half the current number of warframes made available would mean that there's almost zero incentive to buy platinum.  I've played hundreds of hours, and I'm still just at 8 warframes (making Ash right now, had the parts for all warframes since forever, just didn't bother to make them).  

If we were to implement a buy-back option for weapons or warframes, the price would have to be somewhat steep as well.  I'm not going to suggest a number, but keep in mind a couple of hours of doing nothing but alerts (meaning you're not even playing the whole time, but rather chatting or surfing forums) will net you a good 30-40k credit minimum, not counting any item drop.

You have played hundreds of hours to be able to have all the warframes. If you had only 2 slots would you have been able to play hundreds of hours? no. Which is kinda my point, as i have said in the game you have to pay so that it would allow you to waste time, instead of making you pay in order to not waste time.

And again, after 1 year when more than 20 warframes and over 100 weapons will be available do you really think that people will pay 26 euros just to be able to farm for hundreds of hours? Why shouldn't you have to pay in order to not farm, instead of paying to be able to waste time?

I'm sorry to tell you this but the skin BPs are only skins that change an aspect of the weapon/warframe in exchange for another, and potatoes are already so you can get them through alerts. if they change gameplay even in a tiny manner it should be able to be obtained through gameplay wich is why they are part of the alert system.

also Slots... Really now how many weapons do you really like and want to use all the time? same goes for frames... i always try to keep one slot open for a new frame/weapon to try out and if i like it i keep it simple as that and change out one of the ones i liked less than the new one sure i would love to have everything in the game but if you don't pick an choose then why would you even bother try to get new stuff? also if slots are so concerning for alot of people they should spend the plat they get from the start to buy more slots so they have more room to try out new frames and get rid of old ones that they no longer wanna play. 

anyway i think its a bad idea to take one of the few thing from the game that is something you have to pay for out, just course people feel like hoarding every single frame/weapon that comes out. Pick and choose my friends. 

Skin BP's modify some stats but it is a very low modification and barely noticible. And why not just remove those stats then? This game is in beta, things should change.

About slots, i have 5 WF slots and it took me about 120 hours to get them all and level them up. Since i filled up my slots, the end-game for me is basically finished. There are other WF like Frost, Mag, Excalibur, Volt that i would like to try, but since I'm limited i can't. If i didn't get the 100 free plat from the closed beta i wouldn't even have played for that long, maybe just 80 hours or less.

If you give make half the slots available and make the repurchase of a WF easier after you sell it, if people want more warframes they can just sell one of their current ones, but if they don't like what they got they can repurchase the older warframes faster instead of grinding and leveling it up again.

Or at least allow F2P players to buy slots for credits, at 100.000 a slot, but only until they reach half the total WF or weapon slots and still allowing them to repurchase something that they sold faster and without having to level it up again. It would still be better than the current system.

and 90% of the people won't delete a warframe because it took a long time for them to get it. Maybe if they really hated an warframe that they got, but other than that, i don't see people selling warframes.

And in this game you can pay for slots, for the glaive, to get faster crafting, to get mods, to get sentinels, to get color packs, to get skins etc.

Also "just course people feel like hoarding every single frame/weapon that comes out". Yeah because getting half the slots means that you can get all the weapons and warframes. You could only get half the number and hoarding is pretty much the only end-game the game currently has.

Everything of concequence can be gained through alerts, hell you can sell a frame, collect its parts again build it again, level it agian ad infinium if you so desire without spending a real life cent, you don't need more slots for anything in this game.

Spending money on a game you enjoy is a good way to show your support, if you can afford it, FTP games are popular because you can play them even if you can't afford to buy a game. Learn some restraint, keep what you like, sell what you don't and just collect it/build it agian if you want to give it another shot.

This game has a good modle for FTP games, its easily as neutral as LoL, as just like in LoL anything of concequence you can earn without spending money, the only things you have to pay for is cosmetics and bonus slots neither of which you actually need.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, they don't actually expect you to spend every free moment playing, thats why they have the alerts show up on a twitter account, if something drops that you want, you can log in and pick it up then log back out again

Since the end-game is farming, as DE_Steve himself said, limiting players through slots is basically limiting their end-game. So you do need slots to be able to play more warframe. Limiting the ability to play it more means that less people will, over time, play it. Only paying customers will, F2P customers will just leave after their slots are filled. Since F2P customers can turn into paying customers over time if they love your game, limiting the only thing that gives the game longevity means that your losing potential customers.

Again, people will mostly like 90% of the warframes especially after they spent 20 or more hours farming for one, do you really think that anyone will sell it, basically wasting 20 hours just to be able to waste another 20 hours on a warframe that they may or may not like? Maybe if they really disliked the warframe and considered it useless or just not fun to play, but most of them are almost the same except a few OP abilities which are fun to use.

It is nothing like LoL. If LoL limited you to 30 champions then it would be and every champion costed 6300 IP, then it would have been like warframe. Get it through your head, you can't get everything is warframe because you are limited by slots, in LoL you are never limited by anything. Warframe makes you pay for slots, because you can't get them any other way. LoL never makes you pay, you can pay at your convenience for champions or skins, but never limits you in any way.

And what about Dota 2? In that game you have all the heroes available and you only pay for skins, but it is still a very succesful model. 

You will most likely get slots for mastery ranks. One slot every two ranks.

I dont see why they should give you even more free stuff for nothing. Free to play doesnt mean "dont have to pay for every last thing".

And inventory expansions shouldnt be free... Some extra slots for progression are cool. I support this since you cant get them through playing. But since you can obtain every other item without paying a cent (Yeah, color palettes and sentinel stuff excluding), I dont see why they should make even more stuff for free...