The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Slide-Melee Abuse

Sageofbattle

Just a little warning: this is a bit of a rant

I've started to notice people using slide melee to get ridiculous speed boosts and run right through groups of enemies, leaving them for everyone else to fight. It's gotten to the point of where I'm sure people have macros specifically made for this just so they can spam one button and get  these insane speeds going. It defeats two things in the game. First of all, I play a Frost frame. If there are two or more of these people working together, then they simply run through the level, do everything and extract before I have even the chance to even get a quarter of the way through. Secondly it defeats the entire purpose of having a game if all they do is just skip all of it. 

Admittedly, I don't like speed running myself, however it is a legitimate way of playing the game. When you get this going though, it entirely breaks the game in my opinion. I'm not saying end all speed running, just end this method of abuse that people use.

Edited by Sageofbattle

Rushers can be an issue but the cool moves like slide attacks arent really the cause.

messing with those moves would only serve to lesson the fun of the combat.

We need to look at other things to increase the need to group up.

Oh yeah, the helicopter-dashing (That term is totally made up) thing?

It's entertaining to do, but the fact that I can occasionally launch myself across a room at outrageous speeds suggests that it's definitely not something that should be there.

Edited by Thor

Well...I'm that exact person, but I don't leave team mates behind-I tend to wait for them in the same room, kill enemies, or find  and mark loots. I started using Fang with Fury maxed out on Rhino because a) this makes rhino/frost quite nimble, b) do not have to waste mods on rush, and it doesn't scale well at all on these tanky frames.

Personally, I think the game should provide a mechanic that rewards players for their parkour skill. They already did this with wall-running, if you are good at it, you can move around quite fast. However, with Rhino and Frost, their wall running-jump range and speed are so low that it is near pointless.

Ideally, they should nerf the slide attack speed by limiting the speed itself or the range-or even moddability. Then they should boost some of these parkour speeds, because by doing so they are making allowing veteran players to compensate the slow speed of WFs with their skill.

On the other hand, the act of rushing itself-leaving team mates behind and racing to the end- should be frowned upon. People who wants to rush should really play in solo mode.

Rushers can be an issue but the cool moves like slide attacks arent really the cause.

I get what you mean, I'm just saying maybe back off the speed boost on repeated slide melees after a certain number of repetitions, not eliminate it altogether.

Well...I'm that exact person, but I don't leave team mates behind-I tend to wait for them in the same room, kill enemies, or find  and mark loots. I started using Fang with Fury maxed out on Rhino because a) this makes rhino/frost quite nimble, b) do not have to waste mods on rush, and it doesn't scale well at all on these tanky frames.

Personally, I think the game should provide a mechanic that rewards players for their parkour skill. They already did this with wall-running, if you are good at it, you can move around quite fast. However, with Rhino and Frost, their wall running-jump range and speed are so low that it is near pointless.

Ideally, they should nerf the slide attack speed by limiting the speed itself or the range-or even moddability. Then they should boost some of these parkour speeds, because by doing so they are making allowing veteran players to compensate the slow speed of WFs with their skill.

On the other hand, the act of rushing itself-leaving team mates behind and racing to the end- should be frowned upon. People who wants to rush should really play in solo mode.

I'm fairly certain they're aware of the complaints about the huge speed discrepancies - ideally if those get fixed or tweaked us Rhinos won't need to abuse these sorts of things just to keep up. I do like the idea of making the parkour speeds a bit more rewarding, though obviously there'll be a fair bit of testing needed to make sure that doesn't open up new avenues to abuse.

I really think we just need the ability to set a preference for playing the game in the menu screen. So rushers can group with other rushers and what not. Sure you'll get people that choose the wrong group to grief others but that's not anything new.

I really think we just need the ability to set a preference for playing the game in the menu screen. So rushers can group with other rushers and what not. Sure you'll get people that choose the wrong group to grief others but that's not anything new.

Yes this, very much so!

I think a lot of the game involves influences of the sport called Parkour. Practitioners aim to move quickly and efficiently through their environment using only their bodies and their surroundings to propel themselves, negotiating obstacles in between. Therefore, I think that the slide move and the ability to navigate through the map as efficently as possible is something that should be supported and not condemned. The maps tend to be very lengthy as is and just sprinting and running out of stamina seems worthless.

I do this sometimes just to keep up with some of my friends playing their Loki frames while im playing Rhino, its removal would mean they would need to slow down even more.

This also doesn't work with 2hand melee I believe (someone correct me here if I'm wrong) at least in my experience this slows you down even more.

I put this into a similar category as wall running strategically to get ahead, it has more to do with is the group ok with working together like this or will this leave people behind and make it less enjoyable.  If everyone is maximizing themselves to move through quickly its a none issue, just like if no one does this, it can be a none issue.

I have to say, I love abusing the "helicopter-dash" (jumpkick into slide attack with a fast melee weapon). I think this is a fun unintended mechanic a bit like how rocket/strafejumping in Quake or Skiing in Tribes were originally unintended. It makes traversing the areas more fast and fun (for me anyway).

However on the other hand it's a bit iffy since it's not possible to do with slower melee weapons and the game doesn't really seem balanced around it since it makes any warframe fast whether they're supposed to be on the faster or slower side.

Also the amount of speed the maneuver gives varies a lot. Sometimes it propels you ahead like crazy and sometimes it's just a slight speed boost.

Still, I'd be sad if it was just straight up removed.

The thing is, the slide-slash uses so much stamina that I find myself needing to recharge if i use it too much. I personally prefer to slide->front flip->slide, as stamina will recharge during the front flip without decreasing speed.

It's not hard. Sprint, press crouch and melee, time it right and you will go into another slide. Rinse and repeat. Timing and speed varies with weapon, it's almost impossible with fast weapons like ankyros, much much better with slower ones like plasma sword.

The problem? Rushers are gonna skip content and leave em for people to deal with no matter what. If they nerf this move, rushers will go sprint mods+ghost stealth. If they nerf that? They will go back to Loki and just stealth past stuff, since Loki is already pretty fast, and whats worse, they will also have access to switch teleport, and grief other people.

How to fix? Make friends with like minded people and stop pugging. :)

+1

I've only encountered 1 person who consecutively use slide-melee technique in succession to travel, and that person didn't skip everything.. it was just a faster way of manuevering.

Re: people who skip enemies to reach objectives (to finish the mission faster):

Perhaps it was a map he/she/they wanted to fly through for the sake of reaching the boss map or the next planet faster (at the sake of people who enjoy every map).

Regardless, I can see why slower warframes, such as Frost or Rhino, griefing/ranting about other players ninja-ing through the map. If that's the case may I suggest talking to your squad mates? Or destroy everything for resources and/or mods? Or you can abort the mission and try a different map/planet.

Just a little warning: this is a bit of a rant

I've started to notice people using slide melee to get ridiculous speed boosts and run right through groups of enemies, leaving them for everyone else to fight. It's gotten to the point of where I'm sure people have macros specifically made for this just so they can spam one button and get  these insane speeds going. It defeats two things in the game. First of all, I play a Frost frame. If there are two or more of these people working together, then they simply run through the level, do everything and extract before I have even the chance to even get a quarter of the way through. Secondly it defeats the entire purpose of having a game if all they do is just skip all of it. 

Admittedly, I don't like speed running myself, however it is a legitimate way of playing the game. When you get this going though, it entirely breaks the game in my opinion. I'm not saying end all speed running, just end this method of abuse that people use.

Seems for me that u've been with non-teamworking guys on a lot of missions, happened to me also.

I've got Excalibour and I use that helicopter spin only when it's needed, escaping from infestation or the op moa cannon,etc...

Of course others can use this for rushing and leaving you alone against all the enemies..

I like the slide-attack as much as the next guy... but overuse of it is just lame. theres a couple of ways to stop it though. here's a few.

1. Remove the extra damage you deal on slide attack.

2. Reduce the speed of the attack just a little bit and then later on reduce the extra damage instead of removing it completely.

3. Put a cooldown on it of some sort.

I don't see a problem here however (at all)

Why do i not see a problem? i only find myself powersliding through entire levels when i'm farming something on my high level warframe (usually accompanied by high level weapons). Very often those things are something dropped by bosses,  Occasionally it's money and the mission is an alert mission. and sometimes it may be something else. Sometimes i do it because lotus might give me another mission and if i'd walk slowly through the level i'd be pretty mad to get a no-reward mission on top of the one i just spent my time enjoying.

Also like many people have said, play with your friends or people who seem to play in a style similar to yours. i've played most of this game in private sessions with friends, less online and least solo. (i only use solo for speed runs similar to what OP described where i don't have any use for other players)

Edited by rabcor