Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some Suggestions In Ironing Out The Glaive

Kurokazin

After some moderate testing, the Glaive strikes me as a very high skill level weapon with modest effectiveness. There are a few problems(In my opinion, not to be taken as gospel) that I feel need to be addressed at some point in the future:

Control. The glaive is obscenely hard to do what you want it to. The only way I've gotten any semblance of control out of it is by bouncing it off the ground or intentionally missing targets to get the return shots that pass right through enemies, rather than bounce right off them. I've pulled off some awesome 4-kill shots, but they're rare and I normally only get between 1-3, with minimal damage. Compared to just equipping my DHS and bullrushing the enemy, the Glaive really pales in comparison.

Possible improvements could be:

1. Allow it to pass through light armored targets. This would provide it with more effectiveness vs infested who tend to build a meat wall of ravenous beasties, making any attempt to bounce a nightmare.

2. Allow it to pass through targets on a headshot, promoting more accurate play rather than just hurling it out repeatedly.

3. Allow us to "force" the return with a follow-up melee click, this could provide decent single target damage avenues where you immediately recall the glaive after it bounces off an enemy.

4. Increase it's hitbox. At the very least it's vertical hitbox, I've noticed vs smaller targets that it seems to be slightly off. That could just be me seeing things, but I figured I'd throw it in, anyway. Perhaps someone can validate it by chiming in?

5. I feel like the ghost Glaive should be readdressed. It discourages using the glaive in tight corridors with lots of debris/walls, where you'd think it'd be the most effective. All the videos I've seen of the glaive being used successfully usually involve some form of "open" environment where the ghost glaive mechanic isn't a significant factor. I don't think this was it's intended design.

6. Allow it to crit and possibly pass through targets rather than bounce on a crit. I'm not a big fan of RNG, though, and the Glaive is already unpredictable enough.

That's all I can think of, it's late. I don't expect all or any of these suggestions to make it through, but hopefully it sparked an interest or an idea in a developer's head to make the Glaive a competitive melee weapon. I love it to death and I'd like to feel like I'm not handicapping myself when I use it over my DHS/Gram/Dual Ether. Much love, Devs. You really outdid yourselves with this boss weapon.

3. Allow us to "force" the return with a follow-up melee click, this could provide decent single target damage avenues where you immediately recall the glaive after it bounces off an enemy.

4. Increase it's hitbox. At the very least it's vertical hitbox, I've noticed vs smaller targets that it seems to be slightly off. That could just be me seeing things, but I figured I'd throw it in, anyway. Perhaps someone can validate it by chiming in?

5. I feel like the ghost Glaive should be readdressed. It discourages using the glaive in tight corridors with lots of debris/walls, where you'd think it'd be the most effective. All the videos I've seen of the glaive being used successfully usually involve some form of "open" environment where the ghost glaive mechanic isn't a significant factor. I don't think this was it's intended design.

3. Please implement this as it'd make the glaive much more effective in a large battle.

4. It almost never hits a charger on the return even though it appears to pass cleanly through the chargers body

5. Not sure what you mean by ghost Glaive.

I am not sure where you are getting these numbers from, but I am 1 shotting Lvl 50 Grennier with a throw.  It is a charge weapon, not a slashy weapon.  When modded properly, it can totally destroy targets.  Also, when you are attacking Ancients, aim for its boot.  It will pass through the boot just fine and hit again on the way back. 

I have both Dual Ether and Glaive maxed out and I love them both, but they are completely different for playstyle.  Just keep practicing and with a bit of work, you will be railing guys by bouncing it off a wall and hitting a guy around the corner.

I'm fine with everything but crit. Seriously, why do you people desire RNG so much? Are games only fun when you can't control how effective you are? This is probably the highest skill weapon in the game, while crit has zero bearing on skill, only luck, how does that have a part in it?

I would totally love to see this.  Instead of the Melee button, I think the block button would be better.  This would prevent people that are twitchy on the melee key from returning it too early.

If anything, it would be nice if the Glaive bounced off grineer less when you apply a maxed Sundering Strike mod. (90% Armour Pierce).

Especially as the bouncing off armour causes problems with bad hosts. The Glaive does not seem to register as hitting the Grineer when it bounces off them, resulting in 0 damage.

Interestingly enough, during lag such as this, other projectiles like the paris arrows work just fine.

I don't have any of the problems and when you aim as you would a gun it hits dead on. When i'm not host it makes no difference lag host is lag host regardless of weapon. They can't force it to hit a target that's not there because of lag just because it travels slower then bullets. The hitbox is fine and most everything about the weapon is fine once you learn how to properly use it. It takes a bit more effort then run and gun as many like to do which is working entirely as intended. I would seriously hope they don't change anything as there is no need to fix and ruin what's not broke.

The developers have bigger fish to fry like finding a way to fix the issue with lag hosts.

1, 2, 3 and 6 would be really sweet.

Some other ideas:

– Allow holding the weapon in a ready-to-throw state. Maybe disable sprinting after it's ready to throw, to compensate for that (it would even serve as a signal to know it's ready).

– Make it unable to break ship glasses when throw. Or, maybe better, make it unable to break glasses after it bounces (though this is probably harder to implement). Since it's kind of unpredictable, it's very hard not to break the ship glass windows in some areas.

– Maybe the Fury mod could increase its flight speed.

After some moderate testing, the Glaive strikes me as a very high skill level weapon with modest effectiveness. There are a few problems(In my opinion, not to be taken as gospel) that I feel need to be addressed at some point in the future:

Control. The glaive is obscenely hard to do what you want it to. The only way I've gotten any semblance of control out of it is by bouncing it off the ground or intentionally missing targets to get the return shots that pass right through enemies, rather than bounce right off them. I've pulled off some awesome 4-kill shots, but they're rare and I normally only get between 1-3, with minimal damage. Compared to just equipping my DHS and bullrushing the enemy, the Glaive really pales in comparison.

Possible improvements could be:

1. Allow it to pass through light armored targets. This would provide it with more effectiveness vs infested who tend to build a meat wall of ravenous beasties, making any attempt to bounce a nightmare.

2. Allow it to pass through targets on a headshot, promoting more accurate play rather than just hurling it out repeatedly.

6. Allow it to crit and possibly pass through targets rather than bounce on a crit. I'm not a big fan of RNG, though, and the Glaive is already unpredictable enough.

That's all I can think of, it's late. I don't expect all or any of these suggestions to make it through, but hopefully it sparked an interest or an idea in a developer's head to make the Glaive a competitive melee weapon. I love it to death and I'd like to feel like I'm not handicapping myself when I use it over my DHS/Gram/Dual Ether. Much love, Devs. You really outdid yourselves with this boss weapon.

I really dont agree, sorry. It takes a while to get used to it. I dont want it changed in any way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3bUP1rkdeY

3. Please implement this as it'd make the glaive much more effective in a large battle.

4. It almost never hits a charger on the return even though it appears to pass cleanly through the chargers body

5. Not sure what you mean by ghost Glaive.

If the glaive passes through any non-enemy obstruction on the return such as walls it turns into a "Ghost glaive" where it won't deal any damage and will pass through everything without dealing any damage.

@Abductor

I like your first idea a lot, but I feel the second one doesn't really need to be implemented. When I play on my excalibur I just don't use dash slash near ship glass, it really should be the same way for the glaive. There are just going to be situations where you shouldn't use it.

@stacey69

Many of these changes are merely quality of life fixes. I have very little problems using the weapon, and when I hit those 4+ targets and decapitate them all it's a big "Hell yeah" moment, but it's a complicated weapon. Even with lots of practice it still has unpredictable bounce trajectories. I've seen that video and the guy is amazing with that weapon, but not everyone plays Ash/Loki where they have 9~ seconds to setup the perfect shot. I have a Rhino, Volt, Loki, and Excalibur and my Loki has such an easier time using the weapon due to stealth and a naturally high movespeed.

I've been using the Glaive for a couple days now and I really like it.  It would be nice if it were a dual weapon that alternated between throws so you wouldn't have to give up your melee ability after throwing it.  I wouldn't be surprised if they did that in a later update. It would be nice if it would automatically target your closest enemy in the direction you throw it in. That might make it a little easier when using it in enclosed areas.

Edited by Superdoo

I think its all fine cept for two things.. first I think it should have a wider hitbox area to hit multiple targets better and the second. (most importantly) the bug after swinging it is annoying.. after you swing with it and try to run immediately. you cant most the time unlike most melee weapons.. I find myself smashing my tab button (run) after doing so and getting irritated.

After playing with it I've come up with a little more feedback that I hope beyond hope makes it through to a live update someday:

Tracking. We need a way of keeping tabs on where the dang glaive is going. I've been playing a lot of Infestation missions and I'm rocking a 1/10 rate of actually knowing where my Glaive is going to be returning from. Something akin to the way allies highlight through walls would be met with love and showers of candies for the developer that implements this.