Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Energy Starved

ADDpillz

There has to be a better method to regen energy than praying for an energy globe to drop. I dont know how some of these lighter caster classes can solo the higher difficulties. 

I really really hope they release the energy regen on damage mod. 

There is in fact an energy regeneration artifact that can be stacked by 4 players.

Its called Energy Syphon.

Artifact, not mod.

Nice, I just looked it up. I guess Ill be praying to the alert RNG gods

and Trinity has an ability that restores 100 energy to all members.

how the ability works: she "tags" an enemy and then you have to hit/damage that enemy, and you will receive energy based on that damage, up to a max of 100 energy. Don't think it works with elemental damage tho, might be just me.

There has to be a better method to regen energy than praying for an energy globe to drop. I dont know how some of these lighter caster classes can solo the higher difficulties. 

Lighter caster classes solo the higher content by using their guns and their AoEs. Using an AoE on a group of enemies is usually enough to get the energy cost back in orbs.

The abilities you will never be using are the single target ones like Fireball, Shock, etc. These are completely inferior to guns and on top of this they make you run out of energy.

Edited by CaligoIllioneus

I think the only abilities that scale well into later stages like high level defense are Radial Javelin (though it tapers off past wave 20-25 on Xini) and of course Chaos. Iron Skin and Snow Globe. Most of the damage ones, start doing very little for you and then you have to rely on your hopefully maxed guns.

Lighter caster classes solo the higher content by using their guns and their AoEs. Using an AoE on a group of enemies is usually enough to get the energy cost back in orbs.

The abilities you will never be using are the single target ones like Fireball, Shock, etc. These are completely inferior to guns and on top of this they make you run out of energy.

And this is the current problem. Players should have a reason to use all of their abilities. Right now the benefit of using most lower abilities compared to their cost just isn't worth it, while the benefit of using that one ability completely nullifies the reasons to use most of the other skills. I think particularly for "caster" classes, using the lower skills like fireball and shock should be a reasonably viable alternative to gunplay, and now it just isn't.

CaligoIllioneus, on 02 May 2013 - 8:23 PM, said:

Matter of opinion this.

I use my maxed out Shuriken and Shock often on their respective warframes as they are extremely lethal reliable means to take out a troublesome enemy. Especially if I've been managing my power properly and there are orbs conveniently at hand to use so I can preserve ammunition.

If they were a bit cheaper they'd be even better but I can control that myself through modifications.

I'm not saying that some attention should not be paid to the balance across powers, clearly it should.

But intelligent use of the tools we have goes pretty far. The bigger issue is some powers are simply throwaways for the cost they take to execute (I'm looking at you Super Jump) because their utility doesn't match their costing.

That's a wholly separate issue from proper power management in my estimation. Power management works great for me, along with ammunition and consumable selection. I never have issues here.

Power balancing internally within and frame to frame could use some love.

You can get a mod that reduce the cost of skills.

A mod that raise your max energy

A mod that raise the power of your skills (so you use them less often as they are more effective)

A mod that raise the reach of your skills

A mod that raise the duration of your skills

But you'll only feel like an okayish caster if you have maxed (or nearly maxed) 2 or 3 of those mods (the maxenergy and reduce cost are mandatory if you want to pay a "caster")

What is a shame is that a low level can't really feel like a caster, a mid-level frame can't either.

Moreover the way energy works, there's a big incentive on the player to be conservative with it. I woud love a system like the counter system of street fighter 4 :

You must have the energy needed, the energy is spent, but you get a regen that would give you back the used energy. That regen can last 2 or 3 seconds. If you're hit while you regen, the regen stops.

For instance you have 100 energy. You cast a 75 energy skill. You have 25 energy left and 75 energy that start regen. You're hit when you have regened 20 energy -> The regen stops : you have 45 energy. So skilled players could get an edge in battle, you could cast more skills, if you play bad you would lose the energy used for skills. Then the devs would need to tweak the drop rate of blue orbs.

Not: There is no mod that decreases the cost of powers, it looks like there's one, but it's SIGNIFICANTLY different.

What said mod does (Streamline, btw.) Is increase the value of your power, by the listed percentage, not decrease the cost.

Are they the same thing? Far from. (Though the difference seems insignificant... it adds up, quick.)

You can get a mod that reduce the cost of skills.

A mod that raise your max energy

A mod that raise the power of your skills (so you use them less often as they are more effective)

A mod that raise the reach of your skills

A mod that raise the duration of your skills

And if you equip any more than perhaps one of these mods (and you don't equip +Sta +Sta Regen and/or +Sprint) you get left in the dust by your 'partners' because you chose to equip mods that help the team better

Not: There is no mod that decreases the cost of powers, it looks like there's one, but it's SIGNIFICANTLY different.

What said mod does (Streamline, btw.) Is increase the value of your power, by the listed percentage, not decrease the cost.

Are they the same thing? Far from. (Though the difference seems insignificant... it adds up, quick.)

uhmmm...no.

Streamline reduces power cost. Using my 25-point power when I only have 20 power currently in the pool clearly shows that Streamline at 20% reduced the power cost down to 20 (so 5 points, 20%)

Edited by ScorpDK

uhmmm...no.

Streamline reduces power cost. Using my 25-point power when I only have 20 power currently in the pool clearly shows that Streamline at 20% reduced the power cost down to 20 (so 5 points, 20%)

Remember that energy is tracked on the decimal level. With 20% Streamline and 20 power, you have 24 effective Energy. (1.2*20.) Though if you had, say, 20.9 power, (which still shows on your bar as just 20) You'd have an energy rating of 25.08~ and can use the ability. A better example is with 25% Streamline, as a 150 base Power Frame. (Trinity, Ember, etc.) You can't cast your ultimate at the start of the round, despite your ultimate costing 100 energy, and you starting with 75. (You need 80 Energy to cast your ults with 25% Streamline.)

Try it, you'll see I'm right. :)

QFT.

I don't see the need to cast Shock when my Akbolto can one hit kill enemies(medium lvl of course)

Matter of opinion this.

I use my maxed out Shuriken and Shock often on their respective warframes as they are extremely lethal reliable means to take out a troublesome enemy. Especially if I've been managing my power properly and there are orbs conveniently at hand to use so I can preserve ammunition.

If they were a bit cheaper they'd be even better but I can control that myself through modifications.

I'm not saying that some attention should not be paid to the balance across powers, clearly it should.

But intelligent use of the tools we have goes pretty far. The bigger issue is some powers are simply throwaways for the cost they take to execute (I'm looking at you Super Jump) because their utility doesn't match their costing.

That's a wholly separate issue from proper power management in my estimation. Power management works great for me, along with ammunition and consumable selection. I never have issues here.

Power balancing internally within and frame to frame could use some love.

I don't think its really a matter of opinion. Maxed out Shock with maxed out Focus is often not enough to kill a high level enemy. With a weapon, you'd kill the same enemy in one or two taps, then seamlessly move to the next one. Difficulty in this game is about killing a high number of damaging but not durable enemies, so mowing them down with a gun is inherently superior to zapping one with Shock when it often will not even die. Two Shocks at most kill two enemies, at the cost of 50 energy. You could be setting up a shield for the same energy cost, and shooting at the enemies through it while you're immune to their bullets. Four Shocks at most kill four enemies, and you could be using Overload and clearing the whole room.

Where I'm going is, if you want to supress a single enemy (a heavy unit for example) it's much faster to shoot it with your gun. If you want to supress a group, it's a thousand times better to use the AoE.

Shock has no niche, and this is not restricted to Shock, but to all these direct damage skills that target one or two enemies like Fireball, Shuriken, Psychic Bolts, etc.

Edited by CaligoIllioneus