Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pay Platinum To Max Mod's Level!

Maxxbrown

I personally don't like this, but that's because I view ranking mods as game progression. I don't like the idea of buying progression. I don't mind convenience purchases. But there should be a line, in my opinion.

Only reason I recommend this is 'cause when you get to rank 3 or 4 on a mod, it starts to take a whole lot of mods and credits to level it up, especially for those mods with.. what is it.. 10 ranks? I personally don't have the best of luck getting duplicates and fusion cores. I don't know, it was just a thought,

Edited by Maxxbrown

I think that it's fine to pay plat to bypass farming for mats and blueprints, because all farming really is is re-rollling the RNG die 'til you get what you want. But using Plat to rank up mods is quite literally buying game time with plat. Not to mention 5 Plat a level is insanely cheap anyway (in both senses of the word). 

Only reason I recommend this is 'cause when you get to rank 3 or 4 on a mod, it starts to take a whole lot of mods and credits to level it up, especially for those mods with.. what is it.. 10 ranks? I personally don't have the best of luck getting duplicates and fusion cores. I don't know, it was just a thought,

I agree that the current amount of credits, cores, and similar mods required to fully power larger mods is ridiculous. But what you're suggesting is the actual definition of pay to win. Which is just lose-lose in the grand scheme of things.

This is a very half baked idea at best.

With that system, there would be no point in acquiring duplicates of a mod, or fusion cores for that matter, after acquiring your first copy of that mod. DE would have a good chance of seeing customers play, pay for rank, get bored, leave, and not really associate Warframe with the word "fun". Great for short term profits, terrible for the long haul.

Some things Platinum shouldn't be able to buy. Direct purchase of mod ranks is one of them. So it takes a lot of time, mods, and credits to fuse a mod to Rank 10. Good, equal footing for Platinum users and non-Platinum players.

Well.. if you could pay for levels.. then.. you could.. buy frames, weapons, and mods along with free potatoes for buying them with plat... the only reason to play the game would be exp?.. and even then you're working toward nothing... even with plat I don't buy frames or weapons.. because it's a game.. I play it to play a game...

edit: also for those noting pay to win... If it's high enough in plat price does it really matter.. people who pay to win on pve look awfully silly to me.. like.. oh wow he one shot kills that enemy.. but out of 60 shots only one hit... I see why he payed

Edited by lncarnation

It's controversial. One could argue that the mod buyer still has to level the warframe to fit the higher ranked mods. So it might not strictly be a pay to win model.

2 mph over the speed limit is still speeding. And a little bit of pay 2 win is still pay 2 win. No matter how you slice it. Regardless of ones opinion on the matter, these are facts.

Now in my OPINION, DE has done a fabulous job of keeping this game pay 4 convenience and time saving. That's where it should stay.

Pay for Convenience = Paying for the ability to progress more quickly than the average player, thus reaching the end game faster. For example, if you were able to buy a character at the level cap, that would be paying for convenience. Player skill still plays a major factor in a player's ability to function well. In fact, it'd even be hindered in this case since they didn't get to experience the class properly.

Pay to Win = Paying to get an advantage over other players which is not available to players who do not pay. If you could buy a character that is 5 levels above the level cap, this is pay to win. Player skill does not play a factor against players who did not pay, but it does against other players who do pay. Thus you 'win' because you paid money, and are on equal terms only with other players who also paid money. In some cases, the amount paid also influences this.

This would not be pay to win, but it might have two effects.

One, it'll generate more income initially. This is a good thing. More initial income means more financial security for the company.

Two, it also might generate less long term income. Since people can pay to jump to end game, they won't actually need to play the game as long to get maxed out. Some will continue playing, but others will generally lose interest and stop. This is detrimental in the long term for the company. It could be crippling if the content isn't handled right.

But this is just speculation.

Buying a fully leveled warframe IS pay to win. It just seems like a grey area because it's a PVE game. Besides, a good percentage of paying gamers could just buy a lvl 30 potatoed frame, pay to level up every mod they can get my mits on and be burned out in two weeks. This makes for a poor business model. And still a pay 2 win one.

Edited by Aramahn

Oh and to add to that. I have a busy schedule and can still level ANYTHING from nothing to 30 in a week or less. That's with 6-8 or so hours total gameplay. So paying to avoid just leveling something up would welcome in a crowd most folks wouldn't want to game with. Not saying all folks who did it would be immature clowns spending daddy's visa, but every immature clown with access to daddy's visa would be doing this.

I am against pay to win systems, but funnily enough.. I don't particularly mind this idea. This wouldn't be breaking the "everything is available without plat but plat just makes it faster" rule. It's pretty much the same as building warframes/weapons. If you're that impatient and can't be bothered farming (which is the same method used for both warframes/weapons and mods, really), then you can pay plat to bypass that process. It's exactly the same. I would also note that in my opinion, half the fun of this game right now is just gathering stuff and building your arsenal, and if you use plat to blitz through everything, you're missing out on part of the game.

Unless... I'm missing something from my considerations? Anyone wanna point out any flaws?

Keep in mind you can use any mods to upgrade, you dont just need duplicates or cores.  There also isn't realy all that many mods that do go above 5 (health, shields, and weapon base damage mods), while I cant say that I realy think you need them to be either (unless your going for 20+ defence waves).

I'd prefer you couldn't upgrade cards with platinum, because it looks like pay to win, and you realy are at that point killing part of the enjoyment of the game.

Edited by Loswaith