Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Quick Simple Team-Building Mechanic: Momentum Boost

securitywyrm

As a way to encourage teams to stick together, I'd like to propose a 'momentum' boost. Players get a bonus to (relevant mechanic such as experience, drop rates, etc) stacking for each successive mission that they complete in the same team. This will give players a reason to stay in a team after a mission instead of immediately abandoning it to go find a new team. This thus leads to more communication between team members, higher possibility of making friends, and friends are what keep people coming back to an MMO.

not a bad idea

i personally just think the game needs more positive incentives to grouping/teamwork

only missions that can really be failed easily are rescues, and far too many randoms i join rush and leave the rescue behind to die

but if we had leaderboards for most kills/pickups/revives/least dmg taken/etc then maybe ppl would do something other than speed farm/grind missions as fast as possible

not a bad idea

i personally just think the game needs more positive incentives to grouping/teamwork

only missions that can really be failed easily are rescues, and far too many randoms i join rush and leave the rescue behind to die

but if we had leaderboards for most kills/pickups/revives/least dmg taken/etc then maybe ppl would do something other than speed farm/grind missions as fast as possible

Unfortunately in most game I've seen leader-boards and stats tends to kill teamwork and promote every man for himself mentality.

I like what the OP suggested, right now with maxed frame/weapon there's little incentive to staying in the group, the only thing that keeps most people in groups are pickup and mod drops.

hmm, this is actually what I suggested in an older thread that got lost...

frame-specific "Tenno-Link"

Basically, 2 Frames that stay near each other will form a "network". Other frames that stay within the same range to any existing Frames in a network will join that network. (2 Frames which are far apart that cannot connect to each other directly can still be in the same network if there are Frames in between them that such that there exists a Frame-to-Frame distance within the threshold)

iow, out of all the Frames in the field in the same mission, they will form 1 to 4 networks depending on how close they are to each other.

For the trivial case, where there is only 1 frame in the network, there is no bonus.

But where >1 frames are in the same network, each frame will contribute a passive bonus to the network, which can be enjoyed by others in the same network.

e.g.

If Rhino is in the network, he will contribute a small bonus to armor.

If Volt is in the network, he will contribute a small bonus to shield regen.

If Excalibur is in the network, he will contribute a small bonus to melee damage.

If Trinity is in the network, she will do something special : she extends the network linking range, such that Frames in the network can maintain linkage at a greater distance.

etc.

end result? A team close together will have small buffs (not big enough to upset bonuses from individual abilities or mods) while a lone rusher/staller will not have any.

hmm, this is actually what I suggested in an older thread that got lost...

frame-specific "Tenno-Link"

Basically, 2 Frames that stay near each other will form a "network". Other frames that stay within the same range to any existing Frames in a network will join that network. (2 Frames which are far apart that cannot connect to each other directly can still be in the same network if there are Frames in between them that such that there exists a Frame-to-Frame distance within the threshold)

iow, out of all the Frames in the field in the same mission, they will form 1 to 4 networks depending on how close they are to each other.

For the trivial case, where there is only 1 frame in the network, there is no bonus.

But where >1 frames are in the same network, each frame will contribute a passive bonus to the network, which can be enjoyed by others in the same network.

e.g.

If Rhino is in the network, he will contribute a small bonus to armor.

If Volt is in the network, he will contribute a small bonus to shield regen.

If Excalibur is in the network, he will contribute a small bonus to melee damage.

If Trinity is in the network, she will do something special : she extends the network linking range, such that Frames in the network can maintain linkage at a greater distance.

etc.

end result? A team close together will have small buffs (not big enough to upset bonuses from individual abilities or mods) while a lone rusher/staller will not have any.

I'm not talking about keeping the party together within the mission, I'm talking about keeping the party together between missions. 

... frame-specific "Tenno-Link" ...

This Tenno Link idea is amazing.

Also, the OP's idea is great.

This really would foster a sense of community, and encourage people to open the chat window between missions rather than quit as fast as they can and look for their next destination.

I'm not talking about keeping the party together within the mission, I'm talking about keeping the party together between missions. 

I suggested something similar to this. It's a great way for parties to bond while farming or something. There should be a drawback though like if someone dies during a mission the buff is reset, encouraging parties to keep each other alive.