Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Glaive Assessment

SolluxCaptorTA

First off, it is really cool and fun to use. I potatoed it and everything, and it is good. Cool and entertaining.

In addition, each mission I've run with it I can often get half my kills with it, and usually come out number one in total kills to boot. Definitely number one in melee. It's powerful and can one shot most foes and even takes down heavies without undue trouble.

However, I have one major issue with it. It is an incredibly s****y melee weapon. It is an awesome, if a bit difficult to aim, bolt action rifle, capable of killing enemies in one blow. But less than 10% of my kills have been at melee range. I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've killed an enemy at close range without any aiming troubles.

So, in conclusion-Awesome weapon, not good for its slot though.

Note: I have been hosting all my sessions since getting the Glaive, with limited lag.

Note: I use charge attacks and that's about it when using melee weapons. I know it can normal melee like anything else, I just hate that because it is so underpowered at later levels, and even early on.

Edit: Belpharon down below had a really good overview of it. I'm adding it here.

Glaive has pros and cons for sure.

It has great damage which can one hit almost anything except heavy enemies. 

It is very accurate.

it has no ammo counter.

Can take out multiple enemies at once (depends on the enemy, angle of throw, obstacles, etc)

Can kill on the return flight  (if it doesn't enough hit any obstacles which "ghost" it).

Can do some amazing trick shots and multikills (but is inconsistant).

on the other hand.

It is only moderately ok as an actual melee weapon.

It has a charge timer which slows firing.

Once thrown you have no melee weapon.

Once thrown, you can't rethrow it for about 3-5 seconds so very slow firing.

It takes a long time to reach the target making it very hard to hit moving targets.

So basically using one is a real trade off on capabilites.  Also it can be very situationally effective depending on the team.  For example it takes so long to aim and fire that it isn't uncommon for you team to have killed what you were trying to hit before the Glaive reaches the target. 

As fars as a general melee weapon...well it really isn't that bad once modded.  However, it just feels bad if you used something like a Dual Ether which blows it away.

Overall, it is probably my perfered melee weapon, heck it ends up being my perferred range weapons.  Still I think/know that it is my perferred weapon mostly due to fun factor, not necessarily effectiveness.  You don't gimp yourself by taking one but if your a min/maxer looking for the most powerful DPS build, it is probably not the best choice.

Note: Ghosting is what happens to this weapon if returns though at obstacle or wall.  Once it ghosts, the weapon turns insubstancial, rendering it inert.  Once inert, it does no damage.

Edited by SolluxCaptorTA

The glaive is meant to be thrown. If they fix the unpredictable bounce and maybe make it go through many enemies, then it will be perfectly fine. There are other melee weapons, which rely on hack-n-slashing.

Dude, you get a melee weapon to melee the enemies, you get ranged weapon to range the enemies, you get a powerfull one hit throwing melee with infinite uses to THROW at the enemies... but you also want to be one hit infighting? So i want my shotgun to sniper them too XD

Get it mate?

Edited by RainbowDjinn

Fun fact: It's actually just a faster version of a skana in melee range (except the skana is longer, of course) and it still beats a good part of "rare longswords" and gauntlets as for normal hit DPS...

Glaive has pros and cons for sure.

It has great damage which can one hit almost anything except heavy enemies. 

It is very accurate.

it has no ammo counter.

Can take out multiple enemies at once (depends on the enemy, angle of throw, obstacles, etc)

Can kill on the return flight  (if it doesn't enough hit any obstacles which "ghost" it).

Can do some amazing trick shots and multikills (but is inconsistant).

on the other hand.

It is only moderately ok as an actual melee weapon.

It has a charge timer which slows firing.

Once thrown you have no melee weapon.

Once thrown, you can't rethrow it for about 3-5 seconds so very slow firing.

It takes a long time to reach the target making it very hard to hit moving targets.

So basically using one is a real trade off on capabilites.  Also it can be very situationally effective depending on the team.  For example it takes so long to aim and fire that it isn't uncommon for you team to have killed what you were trying to hit before the Glaive reaches the target. 

As fars as a general melee weapon...well it really isn't that bad once modded.  However, it just feels bad if you used something like a Dual Ether which blows it away.

Overall, it is probably my perfered melee weapon, heck it ends up being my perferred range weapons.  Still I think/know that it is my perferred weapon mostly due to fun factor, not necessarily effectiveness.  You don't gimp yourself by taking one but if your a min/maxer looking for the most powerful DPS build, it is probably not the best choice.

Note: Ghosting is what happens to this weapon if returns though at obstacle or wall.  Once it ghosts, the weapon turns insubstancial, rendering it inert.  Once inert, it does no damage.

Edited by Belpharon

"

First off, it is really cool and fun to use. I potatoed it and everything, and it is good. Cool and entertaining.

In addition, each mission I've run with it I can often get half my kills with it, and usually come out number one in total kills to boot........."

Just goes to show you how many bad players are playing

As someone who avoids hosting because of below average hardware and connectivity :

I just wish it didn't seem kind of...glitchy? I've thrown it at a corpus ~15-20 feet away, only to have it rebound off of them with no damage.

At closer ranges it often seems not to hit at all. There's just a "no damage" zone where the actual throw doesn't hurt enemies. It may be by design, but it feels strange to throw it and see none of the enemies nearest to you take damage.

At long ranges it takes so long to actually reach the enemy that they could have easily moved, or simply died to your fire or the enemy.

My experience with the weapon so far has been to aim at an enemy, throw, watch it reflect off of the enemy dealing no damage, and then fly off into the distance until the next time I try to reload.

When it does hit the damage is great, enough to justify the relative difficulty of hitting, but until they fix the clientside issues it appears to have I wouldn't use it unless you plan to host a lot.