The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Skill Suggestion] World On Fire

Feynt

So I recently got Ember to play around with.  I find that while her per skill damage is a little on the weak side, overlapping most of them will put out some serious damage per second and it lasts just long enough to be worth while.  The one skill I can't really accept though is World On Fire, which I hear is echoed throughout the community and dev team.

My suggestion for it seems like a pretty simple idea:  We have Overheat for Ember which lights her on fire and does AoE damage.  Why can't World On Fire do AoE damage and apply a modified Overheat (no damage reduction, DoT on self) to all enemies damaged by the initial use, burning itself and nearby enemies for 500/750/1000/1250 damage over 5 seconds.  This lets her really punish tight mobs (like most infested groups).

I was going to suggest changing her ult so when you use it, it's instant, or with a small windup, like frosts, then large plumes of lava just fly out of the ground and it does the 1000 damage all ultra should. Only prob would be coding and lag

Or, actually, it could be a bit like Volt.  A 600ish damage initial blast within a certain area and then 100-200 damage per second for 5 seconds to all affected targets.

Why can't World On Fire do AoE damage and apply a modified Overheat (no damage reduction, DoT on self) to all enemies damaged by the initial use, burning itself and nearby enemies for 500/750/1000/1250 damage over 5 seconds.  This lets her really punish tight mobs (like most infested groups).

I don't get it.

This is how World of Fire already works.

I don't get it.

^ this

also max rank WoF with reach is ridiculous and will hit anything in its range be it above you or behind walls like banshee sound quake making it really strong. currently im trying to figure out if continuity is increasing WoF's overall damage output because of the duration increase but its hard for me to tell i need info from other testers.

i used to hate the skill too then i tinkered with it more now i run around smashing all 3 factions with it because of the fire stuns it causes+ overheat making me hard to bring down, just dropping advice.

Edited by MarcusGraves

Well, I maxed it out, and it does nice damage to 3 targets.  But that's it, 3 targets, and it doesn't pick up new targets who come into range (or were already in range).  Given the abundance of missions I've been doing in Europa this weekend where there's tons of enemies running around (one mobile defense mission...  50 fusion moa in 3 minutes, I kid you not.  It was intense.  o.o) this skill is worthless aside from the 2.5 seconds of invincibility during casting.  I was getting better damage efficiency by spamming 4 Fireballs, or using 2 Fireblasts.

My suggestion was that World on Fire apply an Overheat-like debuff which doesn't just burn them, but burns nearby enemies as well (like, you set them on fire with such intensity it hurts the people around them), and applies to everyone in range at the time of cast, not just 3 targets.  If there were say, 5 chargers around you, at base level that'd do 500 damage over 5 seconds to the affected target, and all the nearby targets.  That actually becomes 2500 damage in total, if they stay together for the full 5 seconds.  Against enemies who move around a lot and don't clump up often (such as grineer) this becomes less effective, doing the base damage over time of 500 or maybe double the damage at 1000 if two targets stand next to each other for the full duration.  This gives it situational effectiveness like Volt's Overload, which is devastating in a very electronic heavy area or against corpus, but relatively weak against things outdoors.

Well, I maxed it out, and it does nice damage to 3 targets.  But that's it, 3 targets, and it doesn't pick up new targets who come into range (or were already in range).  Given the abundance of missions I've been doing in Europa this weekend where there's tons of enemies running around (one mobile defense mission...  50 fusion moa in 3 minutes, I kid you not.  It was intense.  o.o) this skill is worthless aside from the 2.5 seconds of invincibility during casting.  I was getting better damage efficiency by spamming 4 Fireballs, or using 2 Fireblasts.

this is strange because even when i had it w/o reach plugged in everything near me started bursting into flames not just 3 targets. then id run around few seconds after cast and things pretty far away from me started igniting as i run.

the skill i think still has a few bugs left in it and desperately needs the addition of a graphical indicator of how far its reaching when it checks for targets.

World on Fire is amazing WHEN IT WORKS.

Sometimes everyone dies one by one for the entire duration.

Sometimes everyone stops dying after two seconds.

It seems completely random and I can't seem to find the logic for it. 

It could be that it tags enemies who are currently in the area of effect, but not the ones who enter it after activating it.

They really need to add a pulse or something to it to see it actually working instead of randomly picking targets how it feels like. 

Guys, we need to do some experiments on this ability.

If my suspicions are correct, this is completely unmatched as the most damaging ability in the game.

I'm consistently taking down bosses and level 90+ Fusion Moas in about three or four casts of World on Fire. The problem is, this is also the case for regular enemies. I think this is because World on Fire does damage based on a percentage of an enemy's max health.

Anyone who thinks World on Fire needs any real kind of rework/buff probably hasn't used it much, if at all, since the Fusion Moa Operation patch. It was not in the patch notes but it got a massive buff and is now certainly on par with many other ultimates. 

I don't get it.

No, it's not.

My suggestion was that World on Fire apply an Overheat-like debuff which doesn't just burn them, but burns nearby enemies as well (like, you set them on fire with such intensity it hurts the people around them), and applies to everyone in range at the time of cast, not just 3 targets.  If there were say, 5 chargers around you, at base level that'd do 500 damage over 5 seconds to the affected target, and all the nearby targets.  That actually becomes 2500 damage in total, if they stay together for the full 5 seconds.  Against enemies who move around a lot and don't clump up often (such as grineer) this becomes less effective, doing the base damage over time of 500 or maybe double the damage at 1000 if two targets stand next to each other for the full duration.  This gives it situational effectiveness like Volt's Overload, which is devastating in a very electronic heavy area or against corpus, but relatively weak against things outdoors.

This is false. It will continue to deal damage for its entire duration for as long as there are targets within range.

World on Fire is amazing WHEN IT WORKS.

Sometimes everyone dies one by one for the entire duration.

Sometimes everyone stops dying after two seconds.

It seems completely random and I can't seem to find the logic for it. 

It could be that it tags enemies who are currently in the area of effect, but not the ones who enter it after activating it.

They really need to add a pulse or something to it to see it actually working instead of randomly picking targets how it feels like. 

I assume what seems to be random here is the result of what I just mentioned, which is that while it deals damage for its entire duration if there are targets within range, the damage effect stops instantly if there are none, even though the visual effects are always still present for the full duration.

Guys, we need to do some experiments on this ability.

If my suspicions are correct, this is completely unmatched as the most damaging ability in the game.

I'm consistently taking down bosses and level 90+ Fusion Moas in about three or four casts of World on Fire. The problem is, this is also the case for regular enemies. I think this is because World on Fire does damage based on a percentage of an enemy's max health.

It's not health based damage, to my knowledge that doesn't exist in the game currently. Since the recent patch the base damage against infested is 1000 per tick, and in the limited testing I did on a boss, there were 30+ ticks for every cast of the ability. You are right, however, that it is completely unmatched as the potentially most damaging ability in the game, the problem being that this damage has limited targets and still doesn't ignore armor, despite overheat and fireblast doing so. Most of the time Sound Quake will kill more, and against higher level enemies/grineer, Miasma isn't matched by anything for damage.

Edited by CaptainSomalia