Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Warframe Mod -- Pretty Useless?

Els236

Last night I was really pumped when I picked up the new Retribution mod, but then I got to thinking.

Base chance is 0% to do electric damage on melee hit.

The mod gives 15% to do electric damage on melee hit.

-

That means that I get a 1 in 6.5 chance to do some sort of electric damage (how much is not specified) on melee hit.

The thing is, apart from the infested, nothing ever melees me! 

I mean, yes I have been (very very rarely) hit once by some fireblades or whatever, but that is so rare.

However I am regularly in tight spots getting hit by the infested.

-

Basically, my point is, in its current state, this mod is useless! 

If it were fire damage I might be more inclined to use it, but even then the "15, 30, 45 % " chance is nothing...

This mod needs changing!

Edited by Els236

Ya :D

Electricity Damage when hit by melee.

Infested are melee only.

Infested are VERY resistanct to Electricity Damage.

Trollolololol

Imho: Introduce a new damage Type: Force

Since, lore wise.. the Retribution Mod triggers some kind of Shield overload that violently bursts outward when your shield gets hit by melee and shields consist of energy induced force it would make sense.

Force damage is overall weaker than an elemental type vs enemys weak against that element (fire --> infested for example) but stronger than elemental damage vs. enemys resistant against it (electricity --> infested) making it overall good but not great or bad.

Edited by Namacyst

Or before we say it needs changing, we actually put it through some tests and see how it all works out.  The new mods have been out for all of three days, we haven't even put them through proper tests and to immediately come out and say it sucks, it needs to be changed is absurd.

You yourself say you don't know how much electrical damage the proc is when it does proc.  Please stop and think about what you are recommending.

Last night I was really pumped when I picked up the new Retribution mod, but then I got to thinking.

Base chance is 0% to do electric damage on melee hit.

The mod gives 15% to do electric damage on melee hit.

-

That means that I get a 1 in 6.5 chance to do some sort of electric damage (how much is not specified) on melee hit.

The thing is, apart from the infested, nothing ever melees me! 

I mean, yes I have been (very very rarely) hit once by some fireblades or whatever, but that is so rare.

However I am regularly in tight spots getting hit by the infested.

-

Basically, my point is, in its current state, this mod is useless! 

If it were fire damage I might be more inclined to use it, but even then the "15, 30, 45 % " chance is nothing...

This mod needs changing!

I guess it'd be better if you were a loki

I have not found one yet, so I'll discuss using the info you've provided.

Obviously, yes, you have a good point here.

A mod which allows us to deal electric damage against melee attackers is very rarely useful.

The most common melee enemies are indeed infested, and they generally do not notice electric damage. (My Volt can shock a charger 4-5 times and barely get it to half health, with maxed Shock mod and Focus installed.)

Now that we've covered the obvious disadvantages and weaknesses, how about some potential uses?

Well, this mod could be good against Corpus Prod crewman, as it would allow us to give them a taste of their own voltage.

However, that would be insanely rare in it's usage, and would still only stop them from hitting you a second time, whereas shooting them can stop their first strike as well.

What about Loki?

I imagine Loki's radial disarm (I do not own Loki) could make use of this mod.

Forcing everyone in the area to melee you could be decent, except that you would be forced to take damage in order to deal damage.

Instead, you could disarm them, run, and shoot them to death.

In conclusion, I agree with the OP.

This mod seems very rarely useful, and far from what most would consider "Viable", especially considering that you have to give up a mod slot and mod points to use it. Those resources could be better spent on almost anything else.

Now, how to improve it?

Perhaps give it the same chance against ALL attacks?

What if we could zap out tiny lightning bolts against range attackers too?

Sure, it wouldn't be great against the Grineer, but it would be a ton better than it is now.

And against Corpus it would be fantastic. Even if the bolts were usually blocked by cover, it would hit plenty of enemies who fire while running through open terrain or stand in the middle of hallways. Especially MOAs!

I think this is the most obvious way to improve this mod.

Note: I have never used this mod. I am going off of the description and the OP's information.

Sure, it wouldn't be great against the Grineer, but it would be a ton better than it is now.

And against Corpus it would be fantastic. Even if the bolts were usually blocked by cover, it would hit plenty of enemies who fire while running through open terrain or stand in the middle of hallways. Especially MOAs!

Note: I have never used this mod. I am going off of the description and the OP's information.

Rhino in shiny likes this!

I have not found one yet, so I'll discuss using the info you've provided.

Obviously, yes, you have a good point here.

A mod which allows us to deal electric damage against melee attackers is very rarely useful.

The most common melee enemies are indeed infested, and they generally do not notice electric damage. (My Volt can shock a charger 4-5 times and barely get it to half health, with maxed Shock mod and Focus installed.)

Now that we've covered the obvious disadvantages and weaknesses, how about some potential uses?

Well, this mod could be good against Corpus Prod crewman, as it would allow us to give them a taste of their own voltage.

However, that would be insanely rare in it's usage, and would still only stop them from hitting you a second time, whereas shooting them can stop their first strike as well.

What about Loki?

I imagine Loki's radial disarm (I do not own Loki) could make use of this mod.

Forcing everyone in the area to melee you could be decent, except that you would be forced to take damage in order to deal damage.

Instead, you could disarm them, run, and shoot them to death.

In conclusion, I agree with the OP.

This mod seems very rarely useful, and far from what most would consider "Viable", especially considering that you have to give up a mod slot and mod points to use it. Those resources could be better spent on almost anything else.

Now, how to improve it?

you do have a good idea there too 

Ya :D

Electricity Damage when hit by melee.

Infested are melee only.

Infested are VERY resistanct to Electricity Damage.

Trollolololol

Imho: Introduce a new damage Type: Force

Since, lore wise.. the Retribution Mod triggers some kind of Shield overload that violently bursts outward when your shield gets hit by melee and shields consist of energy induced force it would make sense.

Force damage is overall weaker than an elemental type vs enemys weak against that element (fire --> infested for example) but stronger than elemental damage vs. enemys resistant against it (electricity --> infested) making it overall good but not great or bad.

Good idea. It'd be cool if there was a sort of knockback when that happens too so you can escape from the crowd

Honestly I think all of them (except maybe the weapons mod) are pretty useless.  Why?  Because of the limited amount of Mod slots you have.  I mean is anyone going to waste a mod slot on an ability that it only situationally effective when there are a ton of options that are ALWAY effective if not required.

You going to drop Redirection for Handspring?  How about Vitality for Retribution?

Only way I can see these type of cards being useful is if they added a "Special Effects" slot or two that wouldn't accept standard mods but would accept these type of situational enhancement mods.