Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Critical Hits Should Be Reworked To Be More Interactive

MJ12

Okay, first I want to talk about Team Fortress 2. Why? Team Fortress 2 has 'random' criticals. I use the single-quotes because although random, critical chance is variable. The more damage you're doing in a short period of time, the more critical hits you make. This rewards high-skill players who are in constant combat with additional damage per second, even if it is unpredictable. Furthermore, critical hits on rapid-fire weapons work differently. Their crit chance is checked every second or so, rather than every shot, and if it crits, all your shots for that second will crit. This allows the variability that critical hits provide to be sustained even on rapid-fire weapons.

Why do I bring this up?

Because right now, Warframe could learn from how TF2 does crits. If base critical chance increased while you were, say:

1. Doing acrobatic maneuvers (shooting in midair, while wallrunning, etc)

2. At risk of death (out of shields, maybe even more as your health gets lower)

3. Chaining multiple kills in a short period of time (self-explanatory)

You'd reward the behaviors that this game seems to want to encourage-acrobatic combat, minimal use of cover (and aggressive play even when at risk), and killing things really fast with accurate fire. By causing crit chance to increase as you do stunts like this, you improve the power of critical chance/damage mods indirectly as well.

I'm not saying copy the TF2 system, but if you're going to keep random crits in the chance of critical hits should be dependent, indirectly, on player skill.

Hmmm. I'm somewhat torn here.

On the one hand, they recently upped the overall crit-rate of just about everything, and I'm doing more damage than ever.

On the OTHER hand, it can be pretty hard to hit enemies whilst aim-diving, and it might be nice to be rewarded for doing that...

I suppose so long as it wasn't a GUARANTEED crit, and was just an improved chance as you said, that might be okay. However, that puts certain weapons, like the Snipetron and Paris out in the cold, in that regard.

It is an idea worth some consideration, perhaps.