Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gorgon Feedback

NotreallyNo

Right now the Gorgon holds no candle over any other primary weapon except in some trivial areas. Especially for a rank 3 locked heavy machine gun it is severely lacking.

Damage

Same as the Lato and only 4 points higher than the Braton.

Firing rate

Pretty high as it should be, but only slightly more than the Braton.

Accuracy

After the most recent patch it's acceptable at short range on full auto, and mid range when fired in bursts. I personally think it was fine before the nerf.

Clip size

This is where the Gorgon "shines" with a default of 90 bullets per clip. It doesn't matter too much because of

Reload time

4.2 seconds (!)

Once again compared to the Braton, which can shoot through 2 clips (90 bullets total at base) and reload twice in (2.3 x 2) 4.6 seconds.

Other

The Gorgon has a spool-up time. Meaning it can take a second or two before firing at full auto. None of the other guns suffer from this.

My suggestion

Increase the damage, AND make spool-up time silent, as in no bullets are fired untill it's capable of firing at max speed.

This will increase the guns usefullness as a heavy machine gun, and will remove the ability to abuse it's high damage for semi-auto "sniping".

But I like semi auto sniping.

I think its pretty good, better ammo economy than the braton, if you hit. Also has a good uninterrupted flow of fire so against some bosses you can keep their shields down while team mates reload.

Also the lato doesn't fire at full auto so not really a good comparison there.

Also reload cancel that bad boy. Couple this with fast hands and it really isn't a problem. Cancel with block since you can cancel into firing from blocking.

Right now the Gorgon holds no candle over any other primary weapon except in some trivial areas. Especially for a rank 3 locked heavy machine gun it is severely lacking.

Damage

Same as the Lato and only 4 points higher than the Braton.

Firing rate

Pretty high as it should be, but only slightly more than the Braton.

Accuracy

After the most recent patch it's acceptable at short range on full auto, and mid range when fired in bursts. I personally think it was fine before the nerf.

Clip size

This is where the Gorgon "shines" with a default of 90 bullets per clip. It doesn't matter too much because of

Reload time

4.2 seconds (!)

Once again compared to the Braton, which can shoot through 2 clips (90 bullets total at base) and reload twice in (2.3 x 2) 4.6 seconds.

Other

The Gorgon has a spool-up time. Meaning it can take a second or two before firing at full auto. None of the other guns suffer from this.

My suggestion

Increase the damage, AND make spool-up time silent, as in no bullets are fired untill it's capable of firing at max speed.

This will increase the guns usefullness as a heavy machine gun, and will remove the ability to abuse it's high damage for semi-auto "sniping".

my only concern is more ammo so they should increase the mod magazine clip to do 70%. 150 bullets, yes that's right I want to mow them down like I mow my lawn. 

Given its current accuracy, taking away the option for semi auto fire would prove fatal for the gun since it won't be possible to hit anything reliably that is further away than 20 meters.

The gun now works fine as a support weapon to thin out groups of enemies and in close range firefights against heavies and bosses.

The rest of the team is supposed to snipe the remainder of the enemy or go real close with shotguns.

However, it's far from being an authentic machinegun. We'd need at least two more machineguns to balance it properly.

ATM it's the only weapon in its class, just like snipetron. Wait and see.

Edited by Lord.Finster

my only concern is more ammo so they should increase the mod magazine clip to do 70%. 150 bullets, yes that's right I want to mow them down like I mow my lawn. 

I take that back that would mess up the feel for other rifles ideally this mod should mainly impact the gorgon rifle so they should boost the ammo capacity up on the clip.

No. Simply no. It should never be better than braton nor any other weapon in game.

In your opinion.

In my opinion it should be better in some respects than the braton. Damage, magazine size and rate of fire.

An LMG should always be better than an assault rifle in these regards. The drawbacks should be large size, weight and rigors of carrying its ammunition.

The braton is a starter rifle, the gorgon is unlocked as you progress in the game, of course you should unlock better gear as you go. What would the point be of assigning enemies levels if everything is supposed to perform at the same level?

In my opinion it should be better in some respects than the braton. Damage, magazine size and rate of fire.

gorgon compared to braton

mag size 90 v 45

dmg 24 v 20

rof 12,5 v 11,3

in these aspects its already better than braton no need to buff it...

As for lmg unless used from stable position(bipod) heavier weight means that recoil will be bigger issue for marksman so everything fits.

Love the Gorgon. I use it in combination with the Lex so I have very little use for it as a semi auto sniper.

The fact of the matter is that it's roll is that of a short - mid range suppression HMG. 

IMO it falls short of its role due to its mag size and highly inaccurate and wasteful spin up time.

It needs:

- Base mag size increased to 125. 

- Aforementioned silent spin up to full auto/full accuracy which saves wasted rounds. (This is not an LMG)

-Longer running spin time between burst of fire. In reality this gun takes half a second to spin up. Once engaged I should not notice a drop in speed between burst of a few seconds.

Edited by Zhonatta

+ for a bigger magazine (150+) because when your fighting hordes of enemys with full auto fire you keep reloading all the time and there are enough enemys who wont let you reload

an other solution could be to remove the mag from the weapon and let it use the ammo directly from the mainammopool like a minigun

but then i would reduce the movementspeed while firing that you have to stop from time to time to get new ammo

Agree the Gorgon is kinda "meh". I would make these changes if I had a magic DE wand....

- Give the Gorgon a base 0.5 meter ammo puncture stat and a much larger clip.... but come with a movement penalty. The idea being a heavy hitting, suppressing torrent weapon that is hard to find cover from ... but makes for an easy target.

Edited by Qb3rt

There is no positive side with the spin up anymore since you can't snipe with it, it's only a disadvantage. Totally ruins your damage output when you get stunned by ancients or have to take a pause while shooting. Unless you can keep shooting till your clip is empty you'll get completely owned by Bratons.

Before U6 my braton vandal had around a 226 magazine.

yes but your braton cannot mow the lawn like my gorgon, 1 long sweep of bullets hailing out of my machine gun and no cigar to smoke afterwards with a cleaver line "You've been Terminated" just because it felt good.

Edited by timster7

Gorgon vs Boltor

Mod: Piercing Hit

Target: Lancer

Gorgon

No Polarity Slot

No Special Affects

2 Sec Rev Time

Base Clip Size:90

ROF:11.25 (Including 2 sec Rev Time)

Reload 4 sec

Base Damage to Target: 6

Mod Damage to Target: 18

Total Damage: 24

Time To empty Clip: 8 sec

Total Damage Per Clip: 2160

DPS:270

Boltor:

Attack Polarity Slot

Armor Ignore

Grineer 100% Stagger

Infested Runners don't explode

Base Clip Size:60

ROF:8.8

Reload 2 sec

Base Damage to Target: 19

Mod Damage to Target: 15

Total Damage: 34

Time To empty Clip: 6.8 sec

Total Damage Per Clip: 2040

DPS: 300

Bottom line is that the Gorgon fails as both a quick engagement and a sustained fire rifle in comparison to the Boltor once you factor in the reload time disparity.

Edited by Zhonatta

My feel on how to improve the experience with Gorgon overall (and not just to make it "better" stats-wise)

1. When firing from hip, it can start with bad accuracy, but the accuracy should improve to a stable point when the spin is in full speed. (e.g. first shot may be hard to aim, but when firing at max ROF, the accuracy should be manageable)

2. The spin speed should be consistent. i.e. it doesn't drop to 0 the moment you start firing. When restarting firing before the spin stops totally, it should resume the characteristics (accuracy rof etc) from there.

3. When AIMING (as opposed to firing from hip), the spin should start BEFORE any shots are fired. So we can choose to wait for a while for the spin to go to full before firing using the max accuracy and ROF.

I disagree heavily.

The spinup is actually fine and a mechanic you will find in some real life machineguns as well. It has nothing to do with rotating barrels, by the way, but its got something to do with how the spring interacts with the recoil inside the housing that leads to the overclocking of the gun. The principle is a s old as WW2 (MG42) but has been deemed impractical in the meantime and most machineguns these days compensate it somehow.

Anyway these are my suggestions for the Gorgon (which is my favourite weapon btw):

1)Base accuracy is 25.

2)Reduce accuracy exponentially after every bullet fired until it reaches a minimum of 10. A squared equation might be good for this (X²/2).

3)Aiming will increase accuracy like with every other gun.

4)Crouching will reduce the recoil equation to (X²/3) and increase the minimum accuracy to 15.

5)The players' runspeed will be reduced by 5% while having this gun equipped, even when they don't use it (it's heavy).

6)The time switching to and from the gun will be increased by +50% (it's clunky).

Accuracy values after every bullet fired:

Standing:   25 / 24,5 / 23 / 21,5 / 17 / 12,5/ 10 (cap)

Crouching: 25 / 24,7 / 23,7 / 22 / 19,7 / 17,7 / 15 (cap)

Intended effects:

You can snipe with this thing as long as you stick to single fire or 2-3 round bursts. You're still stuck without a scope and still lack the base damage of a Latron or Snipetron).

As crouching makes the gun more efficient and runspeed of the player is overall reduced it will be the premier choice for longlasting stationary engagements (bossfights, defense and mobile defense) while being less flexible than an assault rifle and ill suited for rushing a mission.

Once your clip is empty, you're stuck with either the terrible reload speed or packing it on your back again, which makes you even more inflexible, temporarily.

Edited by Lord.Finster

I'm using most of the time Gorgon only, and yea I have to admit the accuracy are sometimes rly terrible. 

If you try to hit target in long range you have to shot one by one shot, and its like somewhere between 30-40% chance you will hit.

I like the idea that Lord.Finster posted, although I think the base accuracy should be a tad higher. 

DMG of gorgon is great, especially if you got all AP, Frost, Fire, Electricity and dmg increase mods. However to compensate it would be nice to add some polarity slots. Because now you cant put maximum of mods upgrades on these mods I mentioned and also get there with slit chamber. And still at the end you should end by 2 free slots. So I would say to add two polarity slots would solve issues with Gorgon and good compromise.

Gorgon should make more DPS, than any other weapon out there. But now weaker than Boltor, Braton Vandal - I dont have Vandal and this sucks, this item should be obtained by regular way, BP with material.

Gorgon vs Boltor

Mod: Piercing Hit

Target: Lancer

Gorgon

No Polarity Slot

No Special Affects

2 Sec Rev Time

Base Clip Size:90

ROF:11.25 (Including 2 sec Rev Time)

Reload 4 sec

Base Damage to Target: 6

Mod Damage to Target: 18

Total Damage: 24

Time To empty Clip: 8 sec

Total Damage Per Clip: 2160

DPS:270

Boltor:

Attack Polarity Slot

Armor Ignore

Grineer 100% Stagger

Infested Runners don't explode

Base Clip Size:60

ROF:8.8

Reload 2 sec

Base Damage to Target: 19

Mod Damage to Target: 15

Total Damage: 34

Time To empty Clip: 6.8 sec

Total Damage Per Clip: 2040

DPS: 300

Bottom line is that the Gorgon fails as both a quick engagement and a sustained fire rifle in comparison to the Boltor once you factor in the reload time disparity.

Just some reference I have loved the gun up until I started min/maxing in the game.

Unfortunately, the fact of the matter is that in every way the Gorgon is an inferior weapon to the Boltor. These calculation don't even take accuracy into account or the fact that most single enemy engagements see the target dead before the Gorgon can even spin up vs the Boltor. Factor in the reload times and time to empty a clip and the Boltor leave the Gorgon in the dust.

Love the gun, I want to you use it, it just needs some serious love to put it where it belongs in the game meta.