The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Handful Weapon Ideas.

VScipii26

Let me start off by saying that I love both the gunplay and movement mechanics of Warframe. I like the idea of "warriors of gun and blade" that the Tenno are, but I feel as if, minus a few choice frame powers, we have little focus on melee weapons as a whole. I'd love to see more animation, more feel, and simply more melee weapons. I'd also like to see a handful more guns. A friend and myself were talking about it, bouncing ideas back and forth. So here goes a shot in the dark at creativity:

Primary Weapons

Shotguns - I have a place in my heart just for the strong feeling of a point-blank buckshot. Even more is that feeling wholesome with the following pump of the slide. While I can live without that second part, what I'm wondering about is the possibility of staggered reloading with shotguns. Perhaps a new shotgun, or perhaps a change to the Strun/Hek, would allow hand-loading of shells, rather than the waiting time of a magazine based shotgun.

Secondly, my friend had the idea of a double-barrel shotgun. It's rather simple, two shots much like the Bronco, but a long-tube shotgun instead of a sexy "pistol". It would be a simple idea, and a rather powerful point-blank threat. Throw massively low accuracy and call it even closer range than the Boar. And that's when i got the idea of a skin for it; Sawn-off. We may be glorifying ourselves by saying we are Space Ninjas, and a double-barrel is certainly less Ninja more...Grineer?, but I think we rescind that "Ninja" idea when Rhino got out of bed. I bet Rhino would love a sawn-off double barrel.

Rifle(s) - Following the staggered reload from the shotguns, I'd love a hand-loaded lever action rifle. I think it might be difficult for it to compete with a Latron or Braton, but perhaps, just maybe, it can find it's niche at doing damage to armor or something.

Secondary Weapons

To put it simply, Revolvers.

As with my love affair with shotguns, the classic revolver might just be my second mistress.

I've heard some speak and mulling about of a Lex reskin, but I currently have my Lex modded for increased magazine size. As much as I love the idea of having a revolver with ghost rounds, it just makes little sense. The revolver(s) could easily be approached the same way as the shotguns, with their own set of mods.
They would be more powerful by design to compensate for the lack of ammo increasing, but a speed-loader on a small caliber revolver gives fairly fast reload times in trained hands. That said, we could easily have various styles of revolvers as well, from Lex's cousin, a 5 shot Taurus, to the Lato's baby brother, a smaller 8-shot revolver.
Akimbo revolvers would also be possible, especially with 8-shot dual action variants.
Again, following up on the staggered reload, a revolver could forgo the speed-loader and use hand-loading. Perhaps even a snub nose skin.

Lastly, Melee

Weapons I want to see in this game:
Polearms of all shapes and sizes (Halberds, Glaives (hehe), Spears, Pilliums, Ranseurs, ect.)

Gladius (Or any form of broadsword)

Claymore (Or any form of two-handed blade that isn't a stick)

More punching based weapons (Like the Katar suggestion not too long ago)

A true Mace
Flails
Double-head weaponry
Practical ninja weapons, both because some are nice and to quell the preteens. (eg Kama and Sai)

More swords that are not dinky little blades like the Skana and Cronus. I wanna CHOP and THRUST, not swish and poke.

Ultimately, there's potential in this game for BEAUTIFUL melee combat, but currently we have "Tap E like crazy to dual-sword, Hold E to smash with big weapon". Very rarely do you see people use much else than dual weapons or heavy weapons. Not to bag on them, I love me my Scindo, but variety is excellent. And I would love to see more people USING their melee weapons outside of opening boxes and jump-smashing.

I love melee weaponry, especially in a gun-oriented game. I'm odd like that. I know the game is still earlier on in development, but that just means no idea is moot.

That's my given 2 cents, or rather (by that funky badge) my two thousand cents into this game so far.

To be honest, I love the idea of the revolver. 

Personally, the way i'd do it would be give it a small magazine (six rounds) as you have and high damage as well... but, i think allowing it to use a standard clip-increasing mod would be a kindness to the players. that said, high damage, high accuracy and high fire-rate... but the reload time would have to be very slow to keep it balanced (i'm talking something like 4-6 seconds.)

and of course, one hell of a kick... so, you could fire off all six shots in a couple seconds... but the kickback could really throw the accuracy off if you don't stabilize your shot afterwards.

Edited by redregon

I have to agree on melee combat. I do want to see it fleshed out a lot more. Perhaps a more in-depth parry/block system for melee-oriented players to deal with guns? A differentiation between thrusts, horizontal and vertical slices? There's a lot possible; maybe more will come.

Do want to see polearms, too. That, and alternatives to pure weaponry. Like a shield. Less damage from a shield bash, but more defensive potential, like what the shield lancers have.

I'd love a hand cannon idea. Somewhere between a bulky hand cannon and a sixshooter, It would consume one big ammo (almost the same size of the roller in revolvers) every time you pull the trigger but would do immense damage and be accurate. The downside of this is constant and slow reload fire and RoF so it would be a big brother to Lex and even more so a hand cannon but not be a good choice in a place where there is a short line of sight and many enemies.

Or it could be something like this:

Skip to 0:12 and see the NS-44 Comissioner

Or something in between even.

I'd love a hand cannon idea. Somewhere between a bulky hand cannon and a sixshooter, It would consume one big ammo (almost the same size of the roller in revolvers) every time you pull the trigger but would do immense damage and be accurate. The downside of this is constant and slow reload fire and RoF so it would be a big brother to Lex and even more so a hand cannon but not be a good choice in a place where there is a short line of sight and many enemies.

Or it could be something like this:

Skip to 0:12 and see the NS-44 Comissioner

Or something in between even.

Essentially. But a little more umph.